what. the fuck. is wrong with my car.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
alright so a number of symptoms. and i dunno what it is.

symptoms:

above 4k rpm... car chuggin- it rolls into boost okay- and then around 6-7 psi- (4k rpm when i slowly roll into the gas- boost controller all the way down... has a .7 bar spring in it = around 10psi)
also when it starts "chugging" the wideband goes from high 11s and jumps drastically to 16s/17s

my pcv setup is completely blocked off- so i have front valve covers on each side- 1/2 inch tubing coming off of fittings on the top of each filler cap going to a common "catch can"... catch can is just a lil pvc deal- breather on the top- drain cock deal on the bottom-

i opened the thing- and a clear liquid comes out- does not smell like oil, antifreeze, gas, trans fluid, poop, cookie dough, anything. the closest thing i know of that it sort of kind of smells like is a little exhaust like. but it smells horrible. also the oil caps kind of have the death-milk shake plastered inside of them- the ugliness that occurs when oil meets antifreeze but- i check my oil- and it looks perfect... it was changed 100 miles ago- and changed 100 miles before that- after i put my car back together.

i have some of the liquid here in a clear cup- and its clear- it just stinks horribly. also have some on a white rag- and it has no color at all.

and when i changed it- the oil caps still had the milkshake deal in them- but the oil came out looking good.

the car idles fine, gets up to temperature just like it always has, and then stays right around 170-175*

(160* thermostat... fan turn on 1 at 165* 2 at 180*... turn offs at 160 and 170 respectively.)

thoughts. go.

i have talked about valve float in my other threads recently... but want to make sure that with all of these symptoms that is what i should be addressing- car has 147k miles on it- bone stock engine- valvetrain yadda...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
have not pulled the plugs, i could do the remove the catchcan- but it hasnt rained or anything since the car has been outside or since the catchcan has been there...

like tonight- i drained it- closed it back up- let it idle for a while- drove it about a mile or 2... came back- and got like a teaspoon of fluid out of it when i opened it up.

as for a scan- i could email you some if you can see it with hpt...

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
dumb question....
If is smells like exhaust, are you blowing exhaust gas past the valve seals into the valve cover area... Are your valve seals like completly shot?

I am probaly like 100% wrong here lol

that makes a lot of sense to me actually, exhaust could be getting through the seals and causing the catch can to condensate which i would believe would be the clear fluid in the catch can. as to why it smells so bad idk, but good luck KJ

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Jeeps commonly had problems with condensation in the oil system and when I used to pop the oil cap on those there would be build up of splooge-looking crap on the inside of the cap.

milky-oil-cap-2.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
dumb question....
If is smells like exhaust, are you blowing exhaust gas past the valve seals into the valve cover area... Are your valve seals like completly shot?

I am probaly like 100% wrong here lol

honestly that was a thought i had as well- its the only way that makes sense to me.

should i do a compression test or something on it?

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
If you only ran it a few times over winter, a fair amount of condensation can build up inside the motor, especially the Valve covers, how much driving has it had this year? you have to cook the water out, so a long drive at temp will help with that.... Also check plugs/wires/coils for carbon tracking, as a slight, or new carbon track will only show up at hight RPM, this is also true for a Cracked wire.... A cracked plug insulator(porcelain) is possible, but you should have a slight mis below 4k rpm...... Also check plug gap, if they have worn to a bigger gap, you may be getting some sort of spark blow out

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
so im assuming its condensation? it has a kind of exhaust scent to it...
you are right, it is blowby, remember your catch can is cooler than the engine's internal air so it readily condensates in the catch can.

your motor has 147k on the oem springs that are undoubtedly weak if not contributing to the valve float issue, yoiu still needs to pull the plugs and look at em to help figure out that issue
at the same time your worn out rings and bores are contributing to the condensation. i bet your cylinder leakdown is above 8%

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
you are right, it is blowby, remember your catch can is cooler than the engine's internal air so it readily condensates in the catch can.

your motor has 147k on the oem springs that are undoubtedly weak if not contributing to the valve float issue, yoiu still needs to pull the plugs and look at em to help figure out that issue
at the same time your worn out rings and bores are contributing to the condensation. i bet your cylinder leakdown is above 8%

My suggestions were happier, none requiring engine tear down...... Debbie downer here though :angrys00ls:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

alright.

new engine time?

My suggestions were happier, none requiring engine tear down...... Debbie downer here though :angrys00ls:

haha i like yours better. i just want to fix it though and make it right.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info