What show / Movie makes you set your phone down?

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
I’ve noticed that no matter what is on tv the lady always has her phone in her hand and I can be sure she misses half of the shows we watch together. So then I started paying attention to what I do, basically there are only a hand full of programs or movies that I will legit set my phone down for and give all my attention to. Was curious if hitch shows, if any, you all do that for?
For me….
Saparanos
Seal Team
The Unit
Anytime I watch a new to me movie or if it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it.
That’s all I’ve noticed since I started paying attention. I’m sure there are more.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Lately, since I've been watching foreign shows, I find that my phone sits on the couch until the episode is done. Since I have to read instead of just listen, I find I'm FAR more engaged. Seems like a "duh" thing, but with shows like Narcos Mexico, for example, I usually half pay attention. But these Japanese and Korean shows, I'm staring at the screen the entire time, fully torqued. Maybe its because I enjoy those languages.

Beyond that...if its a new show, my phone is down. Everything else, I'm ADD'ing it up.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Pretty much anything I watch on TV. My phone will rarely be touched. I see no point in watching something and fiddling around on my phone at the same time. My wife on the other hand is on her phone 1/2 the time while watching something.

this 10000%

Drives me crazy that she'll watch all her shows with her phone in her hand. I'm working on my home theater basement, and one of my rules will be no phones during a movie down there.

If I grab my phone during a movie/show, it's 95% of the time to look up who is that actor and what I have seen them in before (IMDB).

Sports is different, that's about the only time I'll fiddle around on the phone.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I go back and forth. If I start losing interest in what I'm watching I find myself reaching for the phone to keep me occupied. But also might pick it up to look up information about what I'm watching.

The g/f will have her phone in her hand 99% of the time. And a majority of that time she's watching something on bookface or youtube with the volume cranked way up. Really rude on her part. Why sit down to watch TV if you're just going to watch your phone and make it harder for me to do what I was already doing?

As for the main topic of the thread, I didn't touch my phone for the first part of the Yellowstone season opener. But by the second part I was starting to look at it more frequently.

I'll usually leave it alone while watching events that I don't want spoiled, like F1 or motorcycle racing that I have recorded.

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Phone down at the beginning of a movie/ show, gauge interest and watch away, what happens to me is that I’m interested in the cast, location, cars in the show/movie etc… and then go down the Wikipedia hole while still watching.

funny that my wife has her phone in her hand about 99% of the time, I pick up my phone and she is like “ are you going to put your phone down and watch the show “ lol

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Kids movies, the only reason being is when I sit down with them that's about the only time I watch TV unless it's just background noise and by setting an example and setting my phone down they're less apt to wanna be on their own screens. Movie nights have always been kind of a thing at our house since we spend alot of time running around between my work and their activities so keeping the phone and tablets out of it makes it a little bit more of a quality time kinda thing.

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
funny that my wife has her phone in her hand about 99% of the time, I pick up my phone and she is like “ are you going to put your phone down and watch the show “ lol
Same. Though she does multitask way better than I do. I end up tuning out the TV. She will miss things here and there but generally know what's going on

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020

AB: So what happens when we’re multitasking, how do we do those two things at once?

DB: Well, the first thing I should say is that we’re really bad at multitasking. It’s not something we do well. By multitasking I mean any time we’re trying to do multiple things at the same time.

So to say ‘how do we do it?’ is sort of to say ‘how do we do poorly at it?’ to some extent. But when we’re trying to do multiple things at once, we’re trying to orchestrate more than one action through the same system. And because of the way we think about our actions, the way we are able to assemble our actions, relies sometimes on the same components it causes interference.

So, just as an example, if I tried to say two words at the same time, like literally just at the same time, I couldn’t say two words at once. My mouth can’t do that. And so that’s a common resource, my mouth. In the task of saying those words. And I can only do one of those words at a time. So, I have to do one and then I do the other, if I’m trying to multitask at that level.

But obviously there’s a lot of similar resources like that, happening before you get to my mouth. So in my brain, there’s lots and lots of common or overlapping resources that your brain is using. And when two tasks draw in the same one, you’re going to have a bottleneck, interference, and it makes it hard to do it. So that’s the problem of multitasking.

So in terms of coming back to this question about cues and things in the world. Often when we do tasks, we associate things in the world with those tasks, and those also kind of elicit – even if we’re trying not to do a task right now, I’m trying to work on, say, writing something but I have my smartphone nearby and it buzzes or I see it even – it’s going to elicit another task, like checking social media or doing something else.

So either I’m going to be compelled by that and go and do it, which would distract me from what I’m doing, or I’m going to have to go through some mental work to keep that at bay. But nonetheless, it’s going to cause some interference and that’s going to disrupt what I what I’m doing right now.

Multitasking is something that’s not even just about trying to do multiple tasks at the same time, it’s about putting yourself in an environment where you have cues to multiple tasks that will cause that competition and interference.

Anybody who’s been a parent with children at home during this pandemic knows that it is very hard to be productive when you’re multitasking and you have strong, attentionally demanding cues to other tasks in your world. It’s hard to be productive.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
83634571.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info