What should i do.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Reaction score
Not sure what i should do here since the motor is toast.

Any thoughts?

I don't really know what my goals are at this moment but i will in a few days.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Reaction score
Start with compression test & leakdown test to see if you can figure out where the problem is...

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Reaction score
Wiked03 said:
Start with compression test & leakdown test to see if you can figure out where the problem is...
was actually going to do that tonight.

Hollywood43

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. If I was in your situation, I think that I'd have the engine torn down to at least find out the extent of the damage. If there's a possibility to fix it and make it better then you've successfully come ahead from the ordeal.

But if you decide that it's time to start pricing complete engines then I might be able to help out. My uncle is a big buyer for a lot of the junk yards in the area and has a license to buy insurance auction vehicles. We've parted out a few wrecked Cobras over the years. My '98 was declared a total loss by MetLife but I decided to save it last year while I was part owner of a body shop. I pulled a lot of parts (including my Procharger) off of a '97 parts car. We ended up selling the 66K mi. engine/trans out of that car for a street rod.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Reaction score
Mikey, use your block and crank if it is ok. Have good rods and pistons put in and you are set!

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Reaction score
just find some nice used 03/04 rods and pistons or even buy some scat rods and dss pistons for like a total of 700 bucks and pull the motor and put them in.

F8LSNK

Reaction score
the sig says block did it crack or did he mean inside the motor

ChromeCobra

Reaction score
As long as the actual block is fine I would just get some forged pistons and rods. Then, get a intercooler/aftercooler and turn up the boost up.

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Reaction score
1.) sell blower to offset cost of building new motor.
2.) build 10.5:1 short block
3.) FR500 cams
4.) ported intake/heads (worry most about the intake)
5.) 100 shot down the road and you'll have a good, reliable hi-revving motor that when sprayed will still give you respectable times and scare the life out of your passengers.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Reaction score
cyac5l8trfcar said:
1.) sell blower to offset cost of building new motor.
2.) build 10.5:1 short block
3.) FR500 cams
4.) ported intake/heads (worry most about the intake)
5.) 100 shot down the road and you'll have a good, reliable hi-revving motor that when sprayed will still give you respectable times and scare the life out of your passengers.
Hey, are you coming out later?

Shane97Cobra

Reaction score
1MEANGT said:
Mikey, use your block and crank if it is ok. Have good rods and pistons put in and you are set!

As Mike and others have said, this is the best route.

V

venmousracer

Mikey Just take you motor to RGR, and have him build you a bottome end, and clean up the heads and intake, and call it a day...Eddie

slow4.6

Reaction score
ChromeCobra said:
As long as the actual block is fine I would just get some forged pistons and rods. Then, get a intercooler/aftercooler and turn up the boost up.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: thats what im talking about

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Reaction score
Yep, get the motor upgraded with stronger rods and pistons as long as your block is ok. Those 4v's can handle plenty of power with the right parts.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
1. I call your insurance agent and see if you can file a claim (ensure the supercharger is removed).

2. If covered ask for a check, or pony up the money yourself and determine what setup you want to go with (same supercharger, new kit, turbo, nitrous or naturally aspirated.

2. Call DSS, VT or Corey at Clayton Racing (Elburn) and have strong short block built.

3. Have the heads refreshed by Fox Lake (might as well).

4. Put the car together and get a good tune.

Dave

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Reaction score
Blood on Blood said:
1. I call your insurance agent and see if you can file a claim (ensure the supercharger is removed).

2. If covered ask for a check, or pony up the money yourself and determine what setup you want to go with (same supercharger, new kit, turbo, nitrous or naturally aspirated.

Dave

hey mikey, i have a stock oil pan you can make look like you hit train tracks with or something if you want. You can tell them you hit a rock or train tracks or something.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
cyac5l8trfcar said:
hey mikey, i have a stock oil pan you can make look like you hit train tracks with or something if you want. You can tell them you hit a rock or train tracks or something.

If the engine looks stock and it is blown, I believe the insurance company will pay for a rebuild. The only out of pocket will be your deductible.

If money is tight and they will pay for a rebuild, take the cash and apply it to a new short block or having your's rebuilt with the proper forged components.

Doesn't hurt to wear out all of your options before pulling out the credit card or dipping into the savings.

Dave

Mike1284

hey guy
Reaction score
not so upset anymore i didnt get to buy this car. i dont have the money to fix it. good luck

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom