• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

What power level / 60' time / or PSI do you need to screw slicks?

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
I thought your tires were just spinning, not spinning on the wheel? You need to mark the wheel/tire with shoe polish to see if you need screws.

I screwed the Pro-Stars I ran on my GN because the slick was spinning on the rim and my GN made a lot less hp than you are. I guess it couldn't hurt if you don't mind drilling up your nice M/T rims. :dunno:

B

Boost12

I was making 550 hp through my Auto last year and we Screwed the slicks just to be safe so I would do the same for your car.

I always set my tires at 10.5 before the pass but normally after I do the burnout and get on the line the PSI rises a little bit from the heat.

The lower the psi the better the car will hook and the less stable it will feel on the big end. With an all out slick it feels like the car sways side to side on the big end but its just sumthing you gotta get use to :headbang:

I would not go lower than 10.5 psi though :biggthump

D

dgussin1

Boost12 said:
I was making 550 hp through my Auto last year and we Screwed the slicks just to be safe so I would do the same for your car.

I always set my tires at 10.5 before the pass but normally after I do the burnout and get on the line the PSI rises a little bit from the heat.

The lower the psi the better the car will hook and the less stable it will feel on the big end. With an all out slick it feels like the car sways side to side on the big end but its just sumthing you gotta get use to :headbang:

I would not go lower than 10.5 psi though :biggthump
does an et drag feel different than an et street?

D

Drlee50

i use the stiff side wall et drag slicks with screws. they work very well for heavy cars and are much more stable than the regular sidewalled slicks. i have run anywhere from 14-10 psi and found 10.5 plus the added pressure from the burn out heat (11.0-11.5 psi) to be best for my 3500 lb car. All slicks will move on teh non screwed rim. Thats why the screws are a MUST if you run inner tubes.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
dgussin1 said:
Do they hook as well? I want to be able to launch at 5.5K...with ET streets anything over 3500-4000 would spin.

Kind of hard to say......my stiffwall hoosiers are actually a softer compound than the regular sidewall hoosiers. This was my first outing on the stiff walls, but I know the track was less then ideal. I spun just a tad and my 60's were in the low 1.5's when I normally go 1.4's, but guys with less power than me were spinning 28's a bit as well. I was leaving at 6K and so was Carl, we both spun a bit. I will have more feedback after Friday RSD's and Sunday @ Byron, I love Byron and have run all my fastest times there as well.

I do like the Hoosiers, I'm sure they are quite comprable to a similar sized M/T

Shane97Cobra

Addict
Apr 27, 2005
Drlee50 said:
i use the stiff side wall et drag slicks with screws. they work very well for heavy cars and are much more stable than the regular sidewalled slicks. i have run anywhere from 14-10 psi and found 10.5 plus the added pressure from the burn out heat (11.0-11.5 psi) to be best for my 3500 lb car. All slicks will move on teh non screwed rim. Thats why the screws are a MUST if you run inner tubes.

You said pretty much everything I was going to say. The stiff sidewall ET Drags are great on heavier car and are very stable at the top end. W/ my experience ET Streets are the worst at the top end.

I also wanted to add that I was spinning the slicks on the rim NA w/ 1.60 60's making 290 RWHP...it doesn't take a ton of power to spin them on the rim.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
I guess its time for screws.....'

i marked em last night and they moved about 1" per run? is this hurting my 60's????

this can be argued for days... i screw my slicks but dont screw my drag radials.. i have been 1.24 60ft with slicks and 1.31 with BFG's... if i screw the BFGs, i get major tire shake... if i dont screw them, the tire moves about 2 inches per run... its just something to experiment with... kinda like if you need to balance slicks or not... if you balance them and then do a burnout, they are now unbalanced... good luck

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info