What other Ethnicity foods do you like and from where

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So I mentioned this in bored thread and figured it would be a good thread to start. So besides the usual Mexican, Chinese and most common being pizza. What other ethnicity foods do you like and from where? I grew up with mostly Latinos and blacks, so I pretty much love all Latin food and enjoy good homemade soul food. Listing a few below and probably forgetting a ton of them. Will probably pop in my head as others post

Puerto Rican: Pretty much anywhere in or around Humboldt Park is great. Ponce and La Bomba are the best for an authentic PR meal. Jibarito Y Mas is very good for Jibaritos and appetizers, more of a fast food joint.

Colombian: Los Tablas on Irving Park in the best

Cuban: People swear by 90 mile, overpriced and not all that imo. I like El Cubanito or Senor Pan for a quick Cuban sandwich. Sit down dinner and Mojitos, I like Paladar.
La Unica is also pretty good and they now have one in Hoffman Estates.

Italian: LaVilla is my go to. Family owned and been around forever. Used to hit Sabatinos as well before they closed down last year

Greek: Central Gyros is very good

Mexican: I'll throw this out there because its not a fast food taco/burrito joint. Mi Tierra by 25th and Kedzie is to die for. They have a platter for 2 that they bring to your table on a pan thats still sizzling. Has steak, chicken, pork chops, chorizo, jalapenos and huge butter flied shrimps. Drinks are phenomenal and you get your moneys worth on the drinks. We have went with large groups and sat in there for 3-4hrs watching the live entertainment and wound up stumbling out of there, lol.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Mexican seafood only place st 59 and north ave. Byob. They charge you a small fee for bringing your own. it was like 4 bucks a person to bring your own. Looks like a little shithole but the food was fantastic!

Screenshot_20191214-075018_Maps.jpg

Reactions: Shawn1112

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Chicken and beef Shawarma. I've only had it from 2 places that were actually good though, one is a place in Chicago (I'll try to figure out what the name is) and the other is this store/restaurant in Naperville called Mediterranean Grille. The Naperville store has THE BEST Hummus I've ever had, but their pitas that aren't sold at the restaurant are meh. So I go there, get the hummus and go to Naf Naf for a pack of pitas, cause their pitas are super soft. Naf Naf is also pretty good, but it's kinda like the Taco Bell of Middle Eastern food.

EDIT: For anyone curious about trying, the Chicago location is Shawarma inn on Lincoln ave.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Reactions: DirtyDan10
Chicken and beef Shawarma. I've only had it from 2 places that were actually good though, one is a place in Chicago (I'll try to figure out what the name is) and the other is this store/restaurant in Naperville called Mediterranean Grille. The Naperville store has THE BEST Hummus I've ever had, but their pitas that aren't sold at the restaurant are meh. So I go there, get the hummus and go to Naf Naf for a pack of pitas, cause their pitas are super soft. Naf Naf is also pretty good, but it's kinda like the Taco Bell of Middle Eastern food.

Agreed on the hummus at Mediterranean Oasis in Naperville. I normally have to have hummus with falafel or something more flavorful like that. Never been able to eat it with something more bland like just pita bread. But I ordered a dinner there one day that came with hummus and pita bread, so I tried it because I didn't want them going to waste. First time ever that the hummus was so good I had no problem eating all of it with just the bread. Really nice texture.

Also agreed on Naf Naf. Their pitas are good, but everything else is just decent at best. That in and of itself isn't bad, but I think they're priced a bit high for the quality.

Even though their quality has dropped over the years, for a nicer sit down type Mediterranean/Middle Eastern restaurant, I still like Reza's. They've got a couple locations in the city, including their original location in Andersonville which has been there since at least the '80s. I'm sure there are even better Mediterranean/ME restaurants in the city now, but I never go into the city, so I don't know them. I almost exclusively go to their Oak Brook location, which is their newest and probably weakest. Still, solid overall food (Reza's lentil soup is still my all time favorite), and they have a buffet option during lunch hour and on the weekends, so it's a good way for people unfamiliar with the food to get to try a bit of everything instead of having to commit to one appetizer/entree.

Reactions: 10sec

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
We would have a family night for my son’s track team and all families would bring a dish. My wife is phenomenal cook and would bring Mexican food. One of the other Mom’s would cook Thai food. It was so fucking good that she even opened up her own restaurant in New Lenox. Highly recommend if you are out near my ghetto...
https://oysthaicuisine.com/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info