Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Hugh Jörgens cousin Hugh Janus was in Lombard yesterday.

Long story short a random Karen was out for a walk and decided she wanted to vent her anger and frustration at me while I was trying to work. She didn’t appreciate my particular sense of humor and sarcasm and decided she was going to call my boss and get me fired because “You Comcast assholes are fucking worthless and I hate your company!” I found that odd because I was wearing a vest, jacket, hard hat, sweatshirt, and was sitting at a box while 2 feet away from a truck that all had the Death Star logo emblazoned all over all of those items. Yep, the AT&T logo looks just like the word xfinity doesn’t it? Apparently I was just sitting on my ass all day and not doing anything……..which is exactly what my current role looks like. I sit at a box all day and clean hundreds if not thousands of unused wires out of a box, clean the garbage out of the bottom, repair damage, repair/replace bad grounds and get the outside labeling up to current specs.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Was installing a new bathtub drain. Had the drain flange in and sealed, went to screw in the foot stopper and the cheap plastic nut that secures the spring loaded foot stopper to the flange snapped right off. Wasn't even finger tight. Piece of shit.

DO NOT BUY
Lately I've noticed even Menards stuff being hit and miss. I've taken to going to ace before I end up doing anything else it seems like a couple of the aces have nice old stock good parts.

At this point I don't think I'd buy anything new unless I absolutely had to and I think we're starting to be better off repairing the good old stuff even if it means hunting around for oring/rebuilding kits.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
I've definitely noticed that a lot of my home repairs have been slightly regretful. I swapped all the 90s light switches on the main floor with new ones and I don't think they're even going to last 5 years without issues. They feel like shit.
Damn. Was looking to do a full Leviton Decora change out at the house. I hope Leviton hasn’t gone to shit like everything else.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
They have. I have an old 2000s Leviton light switch and the new ones are lighter with less copper?

The feel is different too.

Bathroom light switch at work used to be one of the old giant Leviton light switches from the mid 80s I want to say when the building was built.... it's identical to the other light switches in the building.

In the last 2 years we're on our third new light switch after I swapped out that original.

Only thing wrong with the original switch was that the phallic portion of the switch had gotten old and cracked off the switch still worked you just didn't have much to grab to switch it with

Reactions: torquelover

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
They have. I have an old 2000s Leviton light switch and the new ones are lighter with less copper?

The feel is different too.

Bathroom light switch at work used to be one of the old giant Leviton light switches from the mid 80s I want to say when the building was built.... it's identical to the other light switches in the building.

In the last 2 years we're on our third new light switch after I swapped out that original.

Only thing wrong with the original switch was that the phallic portion of the switch had gotten old and cracked off the switch still worked you just didn't have much to grab to switch it with
Man, procrastination is a bitch. I should have done this during covid when I had the time and the stock might have been the pre-cost cutting quality.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The truck’s blend door actuator shit the bed, again. Was halfway through a 400 mile drive to my dad’s when it failed. It’s a bitch to get out and put back, they don’t make the OEM part anymore, and the aftermarket ones are known to be inferior, flaky, and fail often.

Why couldn’t it go out when it was like 70° outside?

Reactions: v6buicks

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Was installing a new bathtub drain. Had the drain flange in and sealed, went to screw in the foot stopper and the cheap plastic nut that secures the spring loaded foot stopper to the flange snapped right off. Wasn't even finger tight. Piece of shit.

DO NOT BUY

I never buy those style tub drains. Wife and SIL have long hair and those type don’t allow for any kind of strainer. The place we moved into had one on the tub and I had to disassemble the stopper and put in a hair strainer. If we need to plug the tub we use the old skool rubber one.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Wife and SIL have long hair and those type don’t allow for any kind of strainer. The place we moved into had one on the tub and I had to disassemble the stopper and put in a hair strainer. If we need to plug the tub we use the old skool rubber one.
I know this exact problem. G/f has long hair as well. With the prior drain the flange was metal, and we had a small trap with a magnetic ring that you could put over the drain, and it would catch all the hair. I'm really thinking about going back to that. Reason I didn't was that it was all corroded and a pain to get out, even with a reverse thread removal tool*. Didn't want to go through that again.

*https://www.lowes.com/pd/Superior-Tool-1-5-in-Drain-Removal-Wrench/5013443925

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I know this exact problem. G/f has long hair as well. With the prior drain the flange was metal, and we had a small trap with a magnetic ring that you could put over the drain, and it would catch all the hair. I'm really thinking about going back to that. Reason I didn't was that it was all corroded and a pain to get out, even with a reverse thread removal tool*. Didn't want to go through that again.

*https://www.lowes.com/pd/Superior-Tool-1-5-in-Drain-Removal-Wrench/5013443925
Yup I’ve had to replace a few of them and they all end up needing the extraction tool you posted.

For hair I’m currently using a mushroom looking hair catcher that inserts into the drain and it’s great at keeping the hair itself but gets clogged with conditioner a bit too easily. Thinking of drilling a couple of the holes larger.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Had a work call this AM that I organized for a deadline due yesterday. Start the webex, have it default to call my cell phone for all meetings. Call failed. I try calling in, call failed. I try to call Xfinity, call failed.

I'm chatting with coworkers, telling them I'll reschedule the call. Been chatting with Xfinity via app. Was on my phone chatting, they had me do a network restart and it kicked me off the chat and didn't work. Work firewall won't let me log into xfinity site, so I had to start a chat on ipad all over again. Been over an hour now and I'm at the same troubleshooting spot I was earlier that kicked me off the chat. fun.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
I'm getting dam tired of people driving like they are the only people on the fucking road.

- Last week there was a crash on Plank Rd. somewhere between Rt. 20 & Rt. 47, that stretch. at 12:28AM, while snowing, a kid passed a car in the no passing zone. He ended up hitting another car head on that was going the opposite direction. That driver and I also believe the kid were killed.

- Last week Wednesday I was almost hit head on on Rt. 20 while I was going west towards my house in Pingree Grove. A van heading east passed a car in a no passing zone right after Country Kennel. No only was this a no passing zone, he was coming up a hill with a blind curve at the top. I saw the head lights in the trees and hit the brakes. The guy still barely missed me getting back into his own lane.

- Today leaving the gym a guy in a van almost side swiped me on Randal Rd. because he was too involved on what was going on with his phone.

• Angry

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
they had me do a network restart and it kicked me off the chat and didn't work
It's their way of getting off of a call in which they don't know what the problem or solution is. Seriously. It's like if the troubleshooting goes past the second step they'll throw out "we're going to reboot your device". WAIT! It'll cut off our conn.... dead. And you have to start all over because it dropped the chat, then the next person tries to do the same thing. It's a loop of stupidity.

Reactions: blue-sun

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I'm getting dam tired of people driving like they are the only people on the fucking road.

- Last week there was a crash on Plank Rd. somewhere between Rt. 20 & Rt. 47, that stretch. at 12:28AM, while snowing, a kid passed a car in the no passing zone. He ended up hitting another car head on that was going the opposite direction. That driver and I also believe the kid were killed.

- Last week Wednesday I was almost hit head on on Rt. 20 while I was going west towards my house in Pingree Grove. A van heading east passed a car in a no passing zone right after Country Kennel. No only was this a no passing zone, he was coming up a hill with a blind curve at the top. I saw the head lights in the trees and hit the brakes. The guy still barely missed me getting back into his own lane.

- Today leaving the gym a guy in a van almost side swiped me on Randal Rd. because he was too involved on what was going on with his phone.
Yup, almost got ran off the road last night on I-465 on the west side of the Indy speedway. Person came flying down the ramp and even though the middle and right lane were completely open as far you could see, they absolutely needed to be in the hammer lane. Didn't even look when they merged and missed the front of my truck by about two feet.

Also noticed a lot of people driving in traffic with high beams on. With newer tech, like LED lighting, the glare is blinding. But they don't care as long as they can see.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Yup, almost got ran off the road last night on I-465 on the west side of the Indy speedway. Person came flying down the ramp and even though the middle and right lane were completely open as far you could see, they absolutely needed to be in the hammer lane. Didn't even look when they merged and missed the front of my truck by about two feet.

Also noticed a lot of people driving in traffic with high beams on. With newer tech, like LED lighting, the glare is blinding. But they don't care as long as they can see.
I-465 is such a great idea but the drivers make it stressful. What you're talking about happens all the time. Unfortunately, there are only two types of people travelling I-465 during the week. You have old Billy Bob who hasn't had anywhere to be in his life keeping the square body happy at 45 mph or you have Mr. Forbes 400 leaving Fishers at 4:55 and expecting to get to Mass Ave. by 5:00. There's no in between, so when Forbes gets stuck behind Billy on the on ramp, Forbes doesn't give AF about who's in the way. I think some areas could use an express lane with a barrier, but if there was I guarantee that Billy Bob would be in it.

• Haha

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I-465 is such a great idea but the drivers make it stressful. What you're talking about happens all the time. Unfortunately, there are only two types of people travelling I-465 during the week. You have old Billy Bob who hasn't had anywhere to be in his life keeping the square body happy at 45 mph or you have Mr. Forbes 400 leaving Fishers at 4:55 and expecting to get to Mass Ave. by 5:00. There's no in between, so when Forbes gets stuck behind Billy on the on ramp, Forbes doesn't give AF about who's in the way. I think some areas could use an express lane with a barrier, but if there was I guarantee that Billy Bob would be in it.
What doesn't help is 65 being closed through downtown. You have all that traffic being rerouted on the bypass, which in itself is under construction.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
What doesn't help is 65 being closed through downtown. You have all that traffic being rerouted on the bypass, which in itself is under construction.
Yes. I've been bitching about that for the last year and a half or however long it's been. The timing of the 465 project is complete shit. Pretty soon the new I-69 ramps are going to start being built too. I bet that area gets torn up before the North split is open too.

• Angry

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yes. I've been bitching about that for the last year and a half or however long it's been. The timing of the 465 project is complete shit. Pretty soon the new I-69 ramps are going to start being built too. I bet that area gets torn up before the North split is open too.
I've been avoiding 65 on the north side of Indy, by taking 41 and 52 (skirting around Purdue). Would like to find a way around Indy without taking 65/465 to get over towards Lexington, but nothing else works out. There's a limited number of river crossing between Louisville and Lexington. Technically I need to go south from Frankfort, so taking 65/865/465/74 is no longer an option. Takes me too far east.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
The truck’s blend door actuator shit the bed, again. Was halfway through a 400 mile drive to my dad’s when it failed. It’s a bitch to get out and put back, they don’t make the OEM part anymore, and the aftermarket ones are known to be inferior, flaky, and fail often.

Why couldn’t it go out when it was like 70° outside?
Gotta love the plastic gears in there.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Gotta love the plastic gears in there.
The first time I took it out it just needed a cleaning. I think the aftermarket ones use a photo-eye and are worse. This model year for the truck isn't known for having good electrics/electronics. At 191,000 miles it is starting to show. I can deal with the blend door, it's the airbag warning that I can't do anything about, which is really annoying.

Thread Info