🤬 what made you say FUCK today?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Well, we were doing a storage upgrade and a bunch of servers decided to not stay online. Rebooted a huge fucking part of the environment.

At the same time at the other data center another business unit had their critical database server that's not redundant decide it needed to shit a DIMM out and go down hard.

lastly, the guy with the Skylark discovered that the car is rusting in half including the frame. Would have probably gone and given him cash for it but man besides being a 2 door I could stick with the Lemans for free and it's already got some mods on it to work with. I think I'd rather get it running this year and hook it to a frame machine to straighten it out.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Well, we were doing a storage upgrade and a bunch of servers decided to not stay online. Rebooted a huge fucking part of the environment.

At the same time at the other data center another business unit had their critical database server that's not redundant decide it needed to shit a DIMM out and go down hard.

lastly, the guy with the Skylark discovered that the car is rusting in half including the frame. Would have probably gone and given him cash for it but man besides being a 2 door I could stick with the Lemans for free and it's already got some mods on it to work with. I think I'd rather get it running this year and hook it to a frame machine to straighten it out.
Why would they have a critical database without redundancy? That's riding a pretty thin line.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Because it's running MySQL (about a 10TB DB btw) and MySQL isn't great for that shit at all. As much as I fucking hate doing stuff to it MSSQL is a superior DB for enterprise stuff and Oracle is pricey but has a better feature set. Not saying you can't do awesome shit with Postgres or MySQL but at the same time you have to know their limits and know how care and feeding for them works.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Where MSSQL and Oracle excel is that they are easily configured for enterprise (SAN) storage in a clustered configuration because of ASM in Oracle and Clustered Disk Management in Microsoft, failover (largely due to the previous) active/active configuration capabilities and backups (MySQL with Percona Xtra Backup has made some progress here) not to mention the ecosystem around backup leaning heavily to SQL Server and Oracle. (Commvault being the exception, they seem to have plugins for fucking everything.)

I'd have no issues with Postgres or MySQL. The HA on Postgres is arguably better than MySQL from my experience but still hokey compared to Oracle. Greenplum DB (A Postgres Implementation in an MPP architecture) is very fucking cool and I've seen it run to 2.7PB before (10 years ago btw.) In terms of enterprise clustering I've never seen either set up to where I would call it "tier 1" e.g. you have shared SAN storage that is exposed on both systems then the service cuts over to the other system if SHTF. It tends to be that you have multiple sets of storage volumes that the master replicates out instead. One could argue there's merits and faults to that sort of architecture but I'd argue more faults than merits. For cloud based systems this could very well turn on its head and such methods of redundancy become desired as they carry into the cloud better than SAN storage does.

Another neat thing about Postgres is it's almost entirely ANSI SQL Server compliant. That means you write for it portability is awesome. Oracle has shit portability in many cases especially if you use their stored procedures.

They're also a horrible company to deal with (go through a true up and you'll see what I mean) in some ways although the product tends to be excellent and the support okay but not great. I will say that Veritas/Netbackup is far worse than they are though in all fairness.

Database is a good area to go into; I think it's going to weather better than my area of storage although it hasn't shown any signs of slowing yet.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
You two nerds talking....
GIF by South Park

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Where MSSQL and Oracle excel is that they are easily configured for enterprise (SAN) storage in a clustered configuration because of ASM in Oracle and Clustered Disk Management in Microsoft, failover (largely due to the previous) active/active configuration capabilities and backups (MySQL with Percona Xtra Backup has made some progress here) not to mention the ecosystem around backup leaning heavily to SQL Server and Oracle. (Commvault being the exception, they seem to have plugins for fucking everything.)

I'd have no issues with Postgres or MySQL. The HA on Postgres is arguably better than MySQL from my experience but still hokey compared to Oracle. Greenplum DB (A Postgres Implementation in an MPP architecture) is very fucking cool and I've seen it run to 2.7PB before (10 years ago btw.) In terms of enterprise clustering I've never seen either set up to where I would call it "tier 1" e.g. you have shared SAN storage that is exposed on both systems then the service cuts over to the other system if SHTF. It tends to be that you have multiple sets of storage volumes that the master replicates out instead. One could argue there's merits and faults to that sort of architecture but I'd argue more faults than merits. For cloud based systems this could very well turn on its head and such methods of redundancy become desired as they carry into the cloud better than SAN storage does.

Another neat thing about Postgres is it's almost entirely ANSI SQL Server compliant. That means you write for it portability is awesome. Oracle has shit portability in many cases especially if you use their stored procedures.

They're also a horrible company to deal with (go through a true up and you'll see what I mean) in some ways although the product tends to be excellent and the support okay but not great. I will say that Veritas/Netbackup is far worse than they are though in all fairness.

Database is a good area to go into; I think it's going to weather better than my area of storage although it hasn't shown any signs of slowing yet.
I have to admit, about 90% of that went over my head :rofl:

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Basically MySQL and Postgres are fine if you're not an enterprise but if you're an enterprise upgrade your DB to one with real features. I wouldn't be surprised if there are millions on millions of copies of MySQL happily humming along running the Internet. It's super pervasive on most small to medium sized web sites.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I mean MySQL really shouldn't be used for databases that big. Its a backend to a website not really a place you would want your Data Warehouse or Datalake.

Working for a large bank we use Oracle for website backend which that data is then fed into Teradata (retiring) /Snowflake for data warehouse and analytics. I mostly do the ETL step taking in Mainframe, Oracle, other data and loading it to the warehouse. Less on the infra side of things but that is slowly changing as we do more stuff in the cloud.

My fuck today is I got 3000 lines of SQL that I need to pull the logic out of to replicate a process in production. Only took a week for shanghai to actually send it to me and it is god awful SAS proc sql code.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
We have Exadatas and a shitton of Oracle RAC too. Just not for this :D It's not even a DW/DL or anything like that it's the transactional data that gets sucked into the DW. They're trying to dig a hole in their Exadata going to the cloud, I'm getting real fuckin nervous over here watching them do it too. I don't have a ton of insight into their capacity planning but an old storage admin trick was you'd convert most of your hot spares into data drives and add em into the disk pools when you were hard up and I feel like they've gone that direction in spirit.

Is Teradata still even a player at all? Haven't heard their name in a while. Netezza got eaten by IBM and kind of went away after, Greenplum went to more of a micro services architecture (which I guess makes sense for MPP based stuff in the cloud, if you look at the way it was built it is a natural fit)

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
took the dog outside with me to get the mail, as I do everyday.

She peed on the side of the house and we came in. About 5 mins later, she start flopping around all over the base of my office chair, something she never does. Her paws get all over me. I look down, there's dog shit on my pants and my hoodie sleeve. Turns out she stepped in it and got it between her paws. That was a fun way to spend 10 minutes, cleaning up dog shit out of dog paws then changing and starting a load of laundry.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I was paying $70/month for gig service through AT&T. Full gig up and down. Well seems my gateway is starting to take a dump. Contacted (via chat) a rep and she said they'll send out a new gateway free of charge. Cool. Next thing you know, today I get an email saying my monthly bill will be different now and that it will effectively be about $10/month more. Now I have to contact them again and find out why they're charging me more and specifically they didn't notify me of any additional charges or anything. The contract (or any paperwork) I signed says I will have no charge for my gateway (no rental) and that my price will forever be $70/month unless I change my plan. The agent never notified me of any possible changes.

So now time to deal with that.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
I was paying $70/month for gig service through AT&T. Full gig up and down. Well seems my gateway is starting to take a dump. Contacted (via chat) a rep and she said they'll send out a new gateway free of charge. Cool. Next thing you know, today I get an email saying my monthly bill will be different now and that it will effectively be about $10/month more. Now I have to contact them again and find out why they're charging me more and specifically they didn't notify me of any additional charges or anything. The contract (or any paperwork) I signed says I will have no charge for my gateway (no rental) and that my price will forever be $70/month unless I change my plan. The agent never notified me of any possible changes.

So now time to deal with that.

Everyone’s bills went up including employees but double check to make sure they’re not charging you monthly for the gateway since they said it was free. At least you got through to a rep, I have to go through the employee portal and can never get in contact an actual person. My gateway is taking a dump and has to be reset almost daily and I can’t get in touch with anyone to replace it.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Everyone’s bills went up including employees but double check to make sure they’re not charging you monthly for the gateway since they said it was free. At least you got through to a rep, I have to go through the employee portal and can never get in contact an actual person. My gateway is taking a dump and has to be reset almost daily and I can’t get in touch with anyone to replace it.
Looking at the email, it looks to be an adjustment for equipment rental. I'm on chat support right now. My price should never increase with the paperwork I've signed.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
So of course in essence they're saying fuck your contract and we're sorry we didn't tell you about price changes and we changed your account anyways.

It's only $7 extra per month, but the point still stands. They withheld information about account changes (not sure if purposefully). It's not like I can go to the store and buy my own gateway for their fiber service, otherwise I would. And without their gateway, I have no internet. So, I'm pretty much being forced to accept their gateway replacement or I can't use internet. I need to dig up my old paperwork and see what it mentions specifically. Lol. I have time on my hands.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
My fucking manager. Asks me to collect all kinds of data so it can presented, and information collected on it. Spent hours doing the work only to get something absolutely different back that I can't fuckall use, as it is from a difference source and there is almost no correlation between the two.. I push back asking why can't they use what was supplied, since it had all the necessary data and instead of it taking me hours to fulfill, I could do it in minutes.

"oh i don't want to push back on the leadership team"

Ah, so you don't want to set any kind of a standard, and want to throw efficiency out the window? Ok.

Don't ask me for that kind of data then not push people to use it. What an absolute fucking waste of my time.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
My fucking manager. Asks me to collect all kinds of data so it can presented, and information collected on it. Spent hours doing the work only to get something absolutely different back that I can't fuckall use, as it is from a difference source and there is almost no correlation between the two.. I push back asking why can't they use what was supplied, since it had all the necessary data and instead of it taking me hours to fulfill, I could do it in minutes.

"oh i don't want to push back on the leadership team"

Ah, so you don't want to set any kind of a standard, and want to throw efficiency out the window? Ok.

Don't ask me for that kind of data then not push people to use it. What an absolute fucking waste of my time.
I've gathered the same fucking data to decom a couple storage arrays to send to PMO 4 times now. I've gotten it used once, barely. Told my manager I'm not showing up to meetings about this shit with infosec until PMO gets their part done; I'm ready they're not.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I've gathered the same fucking data to decom a couple storage arrays to send to PMO 4 times now. I've gotten it used once, barely. Told my manager I'm not showing up to meetings about this shit with infosec until PMO gets their part done; I'm ready they're not.
I went and looked at the data I collected. They never even opened the files to look at them. Zero activity.

• Sad
Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Thread Info