Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
My sub basement is packed full of boxes. So last month I haul all the Christmas boxes up to the basement where I sit and have my tv. Move my boxes into the open area where Christmas was, clean out a drain and work on water proofing the wall because it started leaking. Was about ready to repaint the wall and went away for 4 days. Come home son has stacked all the Christmas boxes against that wall....And added another fucking fish tank into my TV area.....?

• Haha
Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

justbob

Just a grandpa car with a vacuum leak.
Jan 23, 2010
Behind that famous burrito joint
Real Name
Bob
Had to do a heater core on the ‘02 Lariat supercrew I bought for my son yesterday..

Figured it was just the EATC orings acting up, sun was out, not really cold, and we were dressed nice and warm for truck shopping.

Apparently bypassing the fucking heater core wasn’t on my list to check when I’m more focused on “normal” BS to look for on used vehicles...

At least I walked away with a killer deal and I could easily think of worse things. Of course we’ve only owned it for a day and a half and 30 miles or so perhaps a few more F bombs might be tossed around? [emoji6]

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Eh, been thinking of quitting my job. A coworker quit in December, and I got almost 50% of his work. It's just supposed to be temporary, but I don't imagine them having a replacement for another 3-4 months. It's work that I absolutely hate doing and would be better suited to someone fresh out of school.

And if I'm quitting, we're thinking of packing up and leaving IL for FL. After spending another Christmas there, it's hard to resist. I golfed twice in our time there. I'm just very unhappy now with the way work is going. And to be honest, I haven't been happy since even before I got this extra work dumped on me.

I guarantee my wife would start packing the house today if I told her I'm finally ready to move.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Eh, been thinking of quitting my job. A coworker quit in December, and I got almost 50% of his work. It's just supposed to be temporary, but I don't imagine them having a replacement for another 3-4 months. It's work that I absolutely hate doing and would be better suited to someone fresh out of school.

And if I'm quitting, we're thinking of packing up and leaving IL for FL. After spending another Christmas there, it's hard to resist. I golfed twice in our time there. I'm just very unhappy now with the way work is going. And to be honest, I haven't been happy since even before I got this extra work dumped on me.

I guarantee my wife would start packing the house today if I told her I'm finally ready to move.
Leave a forwarding address so us snowbirds have a place to crash for a few days while we're trying to escape the pits of IL.

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium

that's what my wife and I did! we quit our jobs that we no longer loved, we packed up what ever could fit in our cars and a large pod and moved to FLA ! haven't looked back.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Did you have to deal with the guilt from family members left behind? I know my immediate family will be crushed if we end up moving. But my wife and I both feel we'd be happier down south. That's really the only thing I struggle with, being so far away from family and friends. But during COVID, I feel like we've already been distanced from everyone already. We're already in our own little world.

I feel like we spend so much of our time indoors in this part of the country. I know parts of summer in FL will be ball-sweating hot, but we also gain back 3 months of staying indoors from the freezing temperatures.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Did you have to deal with the guilt from family members left behind? I know my immediate family will be crushed if we end up moving. But my wife and I both feel we'd be happier down south. That's really the only thing I struggle with, being so far away from family and friends. But during COVID, I feel like we've already been distanced from everyone already. We're already in our own little world.

I feel like we spend so much of our time indoors in this part of the country. I know parts of summer in FL will be ball-sweating hot, but we also gain back 3 months of staying indoors from the freezing temperatures.
immediate family guilt was a thing, and they were not okay at first but they accepted it, holidays we did facetime with gift openings, same with birthdays. as for outdoors, we are always out and about more then ever, including friends we have met that have moved here recently also from the midwest, they also say they are more outdoors. between biking, walking, boating, beaching, and just the climate change ( 66* currently here by me ) it has been excellent.

Reactions: justbob

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
^^^^^^
This is why I'd move to FL. For more time outside.

Only family member I'd have to contend with is my ageing mom, who'd have her shit packed 10x faster than I ever could, and would have the moving truck idling in my driveway waiting for me to get aboard.

Meanwhile it'd take me weeks to pack all my stuff, and a few of the moving pods.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Working on my mom coming down and staying and enjoying the rest of life, asked her to split her time between me in fla and my sister in Chicago, which sounds like it’s going to be a plan. My mom still runs a gm dealer and her owner is making it much easier to work more remotely and made a comment of “ here is a new lap top which will make it easier for you to work from Florida “ ! My sister will be the issue as she is so needy and won’t leave Chicago no matter what.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
immediate family guilt was a thing, and they were not okay at first but they accepted it, holidays we did facetime with gift openings, same with birthdays. as for outdoors, we are always out and about more then ever, including friends we have met that have moved here recently also from the midwest, they also say they are more outdoors. between biking, walking, boating, beaching, and just the climate change ( 66* currently here by me ) it has been excellent.
I bet right now that *66 feels good and yu guys are laughing at the people wearing winter coats. I bet within 5yrs you guys will think *66 is cold as well lol
My sister will be the issue as she is so needy and won’t leave Chicago no matter what.
I like your sister, even though I dont know her lol. I'm the same, I'm never leaving this shit hole that I call home until I retire.
I love Chgo and everything about it. Waiting for my fucking kids to leave so we can sell and head back to the city

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
I bet right now that *66 feels good and yu guys are laughing at the people wearing winter coats. I bet within 5yrs you guys will think *66 is cold as well lol

I like your sister, even though I dont know her lol. I'm the same, I'm never leaving this shit hole that I call home until I retire.
I love Chgo and everything about it. Waiting for my fucking kids to leave so we can sell and head back to the city
66* feels cold down here as in hoodie weather and night time jeans are a must.

my sister lives Belmont Harlem area / works in Greek town. My sister dreads going in the suburbs and only goes when needed. She also stays in her area as she likes to go to 10 places to go grocery shopping, one place for her lunch meats, breads, one place for desserts etc... like it’s the 1950’s again. I tell her Just wait until all those places are closed or replaced with something else. That area she is in has changed so much in 20 years. And due for another change.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

my sister lives Belmont Harlem area / works in Greek town. My sister dreads going in the suburbs and only goes when needed. She also stays in her area as she likes to go to 10 places to go grocery shopping, one place for her lunch meats, breads, one place for desserts etc... like it’s the 1950’s again. I tell her Just wait until all those places are closed or replaced with something else. That area she is in has changed so much in 20 years. And due for another change.
I know the area very well.

justbob

Just a grandpa car with a vacuum leak.
Jan 23, 2010
Behind that famous burrito joint
Real Name
Bob

Wow my complete opposite! I hate everything there is about Chicago and I won’t go there unless I’m paid. And I’ll still bitch about it.. Everything I could possibly want is right here and close by in the western burbs.

10 different places for groceries?? One stop shop for me. Except the rare occasional visit to Wheaton meat market for grilling goodies!

Thread Info