🤬 what made you say FUCK today?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I found out that Hyundai is one of the companies that screw their rotors on. You guys have any tips on getting those damned screws out? Impact driver? Air tools?

Honda did that too. From what I understand it's for assembly. Drill em and don't replace em is my vote.

I don't know if they were as smart as Honda was but there's an additional (threaded) hole on a Honda's rotor you stick the screw in and it pops the rotor off for you.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The rotors actually aren't in bad shape so I put the new pads on the old rotors. If it gives me a year or two, great. If it doesn't work and I start to get warped rotors, I'll drill them out then. I'm putting the rotors I bought in the closet so they'll be there when I need them. Pads are cheap. I will bed in the pads and see how it works. I know it's half assed work but the rotors didn't have grooves and had plenty of material left. I just have a habit of replacing them when I do brakes.

What a moronic idea to screw the rotors down. Shows how much manufacturers care about customers.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The rotors actually aren't in bad shape so I put the new pads on the old rotors. If it gives me a year or two, great. If it doesn't work and I start to get warped rotors, I'll drill them out then. I'm putting the rotors I bought in the closet so they'll be there when I need them. Pads are cheap. I will bed in the pads and see how it works. I know it's half assed work but the rotors didn't have grooves and had plenty of material left. I just have a habit of replacing them when I do brakes.

What a moronic idea to screw the rotors down. Shows how much manufacturers care about customers.

Thanks for the tips, guys!
I just did my G37’s fronts. Easy to get the rotors off. There’s a spot to screw in a 1/4-20 bolt that pushes against the hub. Pops the rotors right off. Did it because I was getting a pulsating on moderate braking force. Outside of the rotors looked great. Insides were totally knackered. I think whomever changed them before I got the car didn’t grease the slide pins.

3424BC40-6082-46AA-B5D4-15F406AE2BD2.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Yeah, I felt the rotors and they don't have grooves. I was fed up with the screws by that time. I'm doing the brake job in my driveway and ants were crawling on me. Amy didn't have any pulsation. New pads may be enough to keep her going for another year or two. I did grease the pins. We'll see what happens. The brakes felt fine when I test drove the Hyundai. I'll bed them in tomorrow.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
cat lost her balance while walking on the back of my computer chair.

she saved herself by digging her claws into my back so she didn’t fall.Could have hurt so much more if one of the other cats had done it. They are twice her weight.
You get used to it. Morgan rides around on my shoulders and digs his (trimmed) claws in all the time. Toughens up the skin, lol.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
I got tackled by my dog again today. Last year he jumped in my direction while playing and misjudged it and smashed into my ribs and knocked me back. Today the crazy fucker got a little too rambunctious so I calmed him down and we started walking again, he saw a leaf he just had to play with and went after it (no biggie, burn some energy) he comes hauling ass back towards me, jumps and slams into my shoulder and collarbone knocking me off my feet and right on my ass. Keep in mind I’m 6’1” and he’s a 90lbs boxer. Luckily I somehow managed to catch him and I landed in the grass a few feet from where I was standing but the fucker knocked the wind out of me when he landed on my chest.
Great dog but he’s fucking nuts.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So between working from home for the past few weeks, rain all last week, etc, I had not driven the Cadillac in as many weeks. Figured I'd use it to take the critters to school today.

On my way back, on 25 through STC, a dump truck semi pulls out in front of us (I'm about 6 cars back), and he's draining water all over the road, and slinging mud all over the fucking place. Well even being 6 cars back, the front of the caddy was all covered in mud sling. ?

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Finally got to get to do the rear brakes on the car. I'm skipping past where all four wheels have to be off the ground so you can rotate the rear wheels to find the sight hole in order to get to the star wheel to pull in the parking brake, while on a slight incline.

When I got to the passenger side top caliper bolt it was a bitch to break loose, which I expected since they're supposed to be torque to 110-115 lbs ft. What I wasn't expecting was to need a good 90-100 lbs constantly to get the bolt out. I knew within 10 seconds of backing it out there was a problem. I was right. Whatever monkey spunk shit speckled muppet fart (thanks deadpool) did the brakes last must have gotten about 1/2 thread started then nailed it with an impact. They fucked the first few thread of the Grade 5 bolt then ran it all the way home into the aluminum caliper, fucking the threads as they went.

Surprisingly I found an M12-125 x 35mm Grade 8.8 hex head bolt package at AutoZone. Figured best I could do was try to see if I could get the bolt back in, if not, I'd have to get a whole new caliper.
:fu:

Started threading the bolt in, then worked it slowly, and to my surprise it threaded quite well. The Grade 8.8 bolt was sharp and hard enough that it fixed the boogered threads in the caliper. Which is great since I don't have a metric tool & die set. I got lucky on that one. What should have taken a minute to get the bolt out took almost half an hour using an 18" breaker bar with about 30-45Âş of rotation available in the wheel well.

I'd still like to know who did it so they can be kicked in the nuts then drawn and quartered by a team of Swahili tribesmen.

1600567630990.png

• Haha
Reactions: CMNTMXR57

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So I did the fronts on the burban last sunday. Ordered a Raybestos kit from Rock Auto.

Get it on and the tolerances are so tight that the backing plate on the front pad is grinding on the rotor hat on both sides. Grrrr... The front pad has a pin on it that goes in to a respective pin hole on the caliper, so it wasn't any fuck up on my behalf. :D

Took it all apart again today, and took the grinder to that backing plate on the pad. No rubbing now...

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Fucked up an EP9 80% lower by not setting depth correctly. Kept tinkering with it on the drill press and my chuck keeps coming off. Gonna have to deal with that shit I guess. Probably means I need an easyjig setup or to get off my ass, get my new to me lathe in and get the tooling made to just do it on my Atlas.
I love the 5d Tactical jigs. I have the "pro" version that comes with what I need to make AR 15/10 lowers. Just need to buy another part and I can do 9mm

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
The fucking shitstain of a Old Hyundai Driver who passed me on a 2 lane section of a road after I had just passed another car and was still going 65... Dude must've been doing 90 and I had to break so the fucktard didn't whip back in before he went head-on into this nice old Nova coming the other way.

I ended up passing him again and gave him a nice long finger. God damn, is it too much to ask for people to drive respectable around other people? You can drive your car into a wall for all I care but don't involve others...

• Angry
Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
That shit pisses me off. I could be cruising at a set speed only to have someone pass me then slow down and I have to pass them. Then they speed up and sit on your ass.

Or you have a nice open road in front of you, great visibility, and some asshat passes you then slows down and goes the same speed 50’ in front of you. Thanks asshole. Now I have to slow down so I can have visibility again.

justbob

Just a grandpa car with a vacuum leak.
Jan 23, 2010
Behind that famous burrito joint
Real Name
Bob
Wife got overcharged by $100 at Pete's Fresh Market today. They overcharged her for 45 donuts when she had four, and seven six packs of beer when she had one.
Thank God she mentioned how much she spent when I picked her up after shopping.

You are totally sure she didn’t eat the 41 donuts and wash em down with 36 frosties on the way out right?

Just sayin, I’ve had some late nights where I haven’t been the most responsive, er responsible...

Thread Info