West of the Mississippi
I got a chuckle out of this.

3D70C00E-7544-4F16-A6A5-427D80F92124.jpeg

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
We had this young dude interview for a data entry position. He had some impressive stuff on his resume. He couldn’t speak intelligently about any of it. My boss and I were trying to keep a straight face when he said he would rate himself an 8/10 in Excel. I’ve been using it for about 20 years and I still wouldn’t rate myself that high. We always laugh when these data entry people rate themselves so high. If you performed at that level, you wouldn’t be interviewing for data entry.

We asked him to tell us one Excel function with which he was proficient, just one. He couldn't name one. He reduced his Excel skills to formatting cells to make them visually appealing.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
We had this young dude interview for a data entry position. He had some impressive stuff on his resume. He couldn’t speak intelligently about any of it. My boss and I were trying to keep a straight face when he said he would rate himself an 8/10 in Excel. I’ve been using it for about 20 years and I still wouldn’t rate myself that high. We always laugh when these data entry people rate themselves so high. If you performed at that level, you wouldn’t be interviewing for data entry.

We asked him to tell us one Excel function with which he was proficient, just one. He couldn't name one. He reduced his Excel skills to formatting cells to make them visually appealing.

Just asking for a friend, are you familiar with power query? IMHO it makes all formula's/functions extinct lol

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Our company has some queries set up that use it, and we just go in and change the slicers. But I don't know the first thing about them and why they are better. I'm assuming they can sort of be used like relational data bases? We could probably really use them for maintaining our data production entry that is entirely maintained in Excel. But the data eventually makes it to SAP, so we don't really need to keep an Excel database.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Our company has some queries set up that use it, and we just go in and change the slicers. But I don't know the first thing about them and why they are better. I'm assuming they can sort of be used like relational data bases? We could probably really use them for maintaining our data production entry that is entirely maintained in Excel. But the data eventually makes it to SAP, so we don't really need to keep an Excel database.
Honestly any sort of data manipulation is WAY easier in power query...

Thread Info