What is this firearm tax?

Turtle

Reaction score
It's been a while since I bought bullets. I got $120 gift card to cabelas so why not.

1400 rounds of 22lr was like $78.
200 rounds white box of 9mm was $47
100 rounds of cheapo 9mm range was $19.

I get out of there paying $29 in firearm taxes. Wtf is this and how do I avoid this in the future. I live in Chicago which obviously is cook county. No one ships to me.

Trying to Google wtf is this tax about and I see starting 2016 there is a per bullet tax. But I can't find out if it's city,county, state or nationwide thing.

This is cabelas in hoffman.

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Reaction score
Start rolling your own.

Can you have gunpowder shipped to you?

I sometimes have mags and such shipped to my brother in Lockport because the city I live in has a small portion in Crook County. Some places won't ship here.

Botach didn't even have a problem with shipping my stuff to a different address.

Fuck them.

Turtle

Reaction score
I don't shoot enough to warrant doing my own 9mm. Plus most of my shooting is random plinking. I hit up the range maybe twice a year and go thru like 150 rounds at that. Just to keep some muscle memory.

100% fuck them but I don't know I'm giving the finger too. Even tho they all deserve it making all these extra steps and loop holes.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
It's been in effect for while, that and the gun tax. I got pissed when I purchased a rifle at Cabelas a couple months ago and was charged their $25 gun tax.... Nothing you can do about it. Thank your representatives with some calls or letters, that is about it.

Turtle

Reaction score
It's been in effect for while, that and the gun tax. I got pissed when I purchased a rifle at Cabelas a couple months ago and was charged their $25 gun tax.... Nothing you can do about it. Thank your representatives with some calls or letters, that is about it.
Rifles and handguns could be avioded if u buy online and ship to ur FFL still right?

I know the $25 per firearm was put into play but I didn't know about bullets. I think I'll hit up Hammonds cabela next time. Hopefully I can avoid the ammo, I can't buy firearms there tho.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
Rifles and handguns could be avioded if u buy online and ship to ur FFL still right?

I know the $25 per firearm was put into play but I didn't know about bullets. I think I'll hit up Hammonds cabela next time. Hopefully I can avoid the ammo, I can't buy firearms there tho.
Then you're paying shipping and FFL fee. So you're getting fees one way or the other. There is no escape. Resistance is futile.

blck10th

Reaction score
Because as of June or July thru put a special tax on ammo in crook county

blck10th

Reaction score
I wanted some .22 from cabelas but since I'm in MO I'll be buying here it's not far from my hotel.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
Gotta love Cook County. Some places won't ship certain items to any address in state because of some counties. I tried buying some Mags from Aero but they cancelled the mags because they don't ship out 30rnd mags to anywhere in IL. I ended up finding a good deal on mags elsewhere and had them shipped to my house without issues.

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
GAT guns is 5 minutes west of there, not that I agree with their pricing, but at least its kane county

Turtle

Reaction score
Buying a gun or Ammo in cook county was your mistake. Just go to a non crooked county to get that kind of stuff
For someone who lives in the city... my options are limited. I know better to expect $25 on firearms, this why I rather pay $25 to my FFL.

But I also thought hoffman was granted some type of pardon in terms of firearm taxes otherwise they would of left the county.

Either way. Live and learn. I'm learning now. I'm just a causal shooter that only does handguns for home defense and CC in the future.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
It's Cook County's new "Gun Violence Tax".

Just buy your stuff from stores outside of Crook County and you should be fine.
When you saw they were charging you an extra gun tax, you should have walked out.
Don't give Crook County another dime.

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
For someone who lives in the city... my options are limited. I know better to expect $25 on firearms, this why I rather pay $25 to my FFL.

But I also thought hoffman was granted some type of pardon in terms of firearm taxes otherwise they would of left the county.

Either way. Live and learn. I'm learning now. I'm just a causal shooter that only does handguns for home defense and CC in the future.

Not sure where you are, but article 2 is dupage and that is Lombard? I forget the town but it's basically 53 and North ave.

crooks

Donating Member
Reaction score
I bought some rounds in at Walmart in Wisconsin. They just hand them to you and dont ask to see anything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom