What is the best starter jump pack you are happy with

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I have the Noco GB70 2000 amp unit. I know several others with them. Including a buddy who uses the GB150 4000 amp unit at his repair shop. Seem to be pretty solid.

My issue is that I am afraid to leave it in the car with fear that in freezing temps it will burst the battery in it. So it sits at the house most of the time. Where is probably where I'll need it least. haha

Last edited:

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I picked up an Anker 800mah one that I have used a few times just to test it out. Got it on sale for like $60. Seems to do okay.

Once a month I take it out of whichever vehicle it is in to discharge it a bit by charging a phone or tablet, then bring it back to 100% and stick it back in the car/truck. I like that it has USB-C charging, and came with a 12v adapter.

I think they still make it, plus a newer 1000mah now.

Of course I’m presuming you mean a small portable one, not a beefy one like shops and recovery vehicles carry.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I have the Noco GB70 2000 amp unit. I know several others with them. Including a buddy who uses the GB150 4000 amp unit at his repair shop. Seem to be pretty solid.

My issue is that I am afraid to leave it in the car with fear that in freezing temps it will burst the battery in it. So it sits at the house most of the time. Where is probably where I'll need it least. haha

That's the only thing that's stopped me from buying one lol. I think I might pick up the 1500 amp unit to leave in my desk drawer at work. 9/10 times I've needed a jump pack has been in my work parking lot.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
That's the only thing that's stopped me from buying one lol. I think I might pick up the 1500 amp unit to leave in my desk drawer at work. 9/10 times I've needed a jump pack has been in my work parking lot.

I actually googled about lithium batteries freezing. It said that -40 degrees is where they freeze. So typically they would be ok in the car. I might leave it in the car and take it out on days that are like zero or below. Just to be safe.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
1573500987486.png

I have this one and it works great but is too big to really use outside of the house, though I bring it on road trips.

I do need to look into one of these smaller ones just to keep it in the car.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
I bought a costco one for $50. It’s the older one “type s” branded. It works great for my brother.

He had a parasitic draw on the beater car that we were never able to find. It would drain just enough to not start if it sat for 10+ hours. So pretty much used it daily to start the car.

Newer Costco model is $15 more and has wireless charging on the battery pack. No sure why they would do that case it’s 10k mah but triple the size of my normal 10k banks.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Bumping the thread.

I ended up getting a NOCO GB40 a few months ago. Only thing about it I don't like is the slow microUSB charging. I noticed (so far) that the lower end of the NOCO packs (GB20, 40, 50, 70) all use microUSB to charge the pack.

Are there any other recommended brands that would happen to USB-C with fast charging? Preferably a bi-directional USB-C port so that it can charge devices.

Actually, before posting it looks like NOCO does make USB-C models. Instead of the GB line, it is the GBX models. Thinking about grabbing this:

Or this:

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I've had the Audew for a while now. I can't remember if I got it for Christmas last year or the year before. Either way I chose it based off of Project Farm's comparisons. As his video suggested, this thing is badass. I've jumped at least four batteries that were as dead as door nails including a POS town car that wouldn't run and the GN who's battery sat on the floor all winter. The Audew was only charged once when I first got the thing, and after all it's been through, it's still sitting at 98%.

It has a Type-C charging port, decent flashlight, and two USB charging ports if that matters to you.

On a side note, it's amazing to think that these jump packs were 40+ lbs, good for one good crank or less, and the size of two diesel batteries about 10 years ago.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info