• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

What Gap?

KagA152

Reaction score
Even though my car isnt tuned, I wanted to see what it would do at the track. It would fall on its face about 1200'. Im running stock coils, taylor 8.5? wires, 103s gapped at .050, racetronix pump, wbs filter, and stock injectors (for now) which I would say one of these is most likely the culprit. Running a 3.0 on my ported blower, ssic, vs, and togs with sonoco 110. Car runs fucking awesome til then, need to put my poly mounts on because it feels like the motors gonna fall out of the car launching (2.0 60'). Any recommendations?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
do u have a scan?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
so about those scans.

KagA152

Reaction score
no scans. i have an aeroforce, but the only thing i monitored was knock which was 0. not sure what its running for timing, still on a zzp can tune:noes: i had a 3.1 on it and was getting 3* knock at the top of 2nd so i put some 110 in it. its gotta be something simple, i KNOW the car is in good mechanical repair, except maybe the 130k miles coils. what should i look at on the aeroforce, pulsewidth, misfire, etc?

Fish

From the mean streets....
Reaction score
The coils should be at the bottom of the list of culprits. You are most likely running out of injector with the 3.0 pulley. Scan IPWs and see what those are at when you are WOT.

Z

Zenriddles

I DON'T know the 3800's at all. Is it OK to run a .050 gap with any kind of boost?

I'm just trying to learn here.
I'm a Ford nutswinger, but I've supercharged several different cars over the years.

In my FORD experiences, anything over a .035 gap will blow out with any kind of boost over about 6 # after 3500 rpms. Car would run great up until then and just start falling all over itself as the rpms went up.
Squeezing the plug gap to .028 or so would quickly get rid of the higher rpm power loss.

TommyGloves

Reaction score
I DON'T know the 3800's at all. Is it OK to run a .050 gap with any kind of boost?

I'm just trying to learn here.
I'm a Ford nutswinger, but I've supercharged several different cars over the years.

In my FORD experiences, anything over a .035 gap will blow out with any kind of boost over about 6 # after 3500 rpms. Car would run great up until then and just start falling all over itself as the rpms went up.
Squeezing the plug gap to .028 or so would quickly get rid of the higher rpm power loss.
FWIW - I run a .055 gap on my SSEi (Stock is .060). I see ~14-15psi at 6000 rpms without spark blow out. :dunno:

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i run like .38 cuz otherwise i get blowout

KagA152

Reaction score
well i got me some 104s gapped at .032, more razin gas, put the 3.0 back on, and headed to my secluded testing road. No knock, no misfires (i dont know how fast the aeroforce updates), pulse width was 19.5-19.6, o2 was 925 steady. it still stumbled at the same time, but it wasnt as bad, so that makes me think its gotta be something with ignition

not sure what to do, i guess ill just wait til spring, hoping to pick up hptuners from zzp on black friday for a good deal, then at least ill have everything in a big picture

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Back in the day on my "newb" 3.4 setup i was running .080-.085 without spark blowout on 12-13psi :rofl:

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
Reaction score
just buy some injectors and be done with it! :D then run some redneck race fuel and have some real fun.

btw found a few sets of 50# injectors for 180 bucks or so... there are deals out there you just gotta look in the right places.

from what I have seen, supercharged cars don't blow out spark until you hit like 19-20 PSI... possibly some sort of air velocity thing when compared to turbos? who knows.

KagA152

Reaction score
already got some 42.5 lbers holdin the work bench down. i had em in for a little while but it was hella rich, and no way to tune. so yeah, gotta get me hptuners

KagA152

Reaction score
got one you want to let me borrow :pedobear:

was gonna get hptuners cause i need it for my t/a as well:io:

Fish

From the mean streets....
Reaction score
19.6 isnt maxing, but you are getting close. Your gap is way too small as well IMO.

shaferz

slaps a ho
Reaction score
Sounds like when I had to go through my tune and bump the catalyst protection number. I would be surprised if this was because of spark plugs.

phat_ridegt

TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
anyone telling you to buy ANYTHING is out of their mind before you get a scanner man. at your mod level, you have totally outdone any canned tune. you need to get a scanner, or to have the thing tuned. you arent gaining anything by running race fuel and dropping pullies. you would benefit way more by tuning the thing properly. with a cam and ssic you should be running a 3.0 pulley on 93 octane.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom