• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

What fluid do you run in your T56?

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
After reading the description it definitely sounds like what I am looking for. The trans has not been liking the cold weather at all. Will it help smooth out the operation as well?

It actually does help cold.
But is your clutch hydraulics holding up too?
That is just as if not more important than the fluid choice.

I( only ask because seen many have a slightly different pedal cold & cause notchy shifting.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
First manual and the only one I have ever driven so I don't really know. I am also due to do a clutch fluid swap too. From what I have read I am overdue on that, most recommendations are to change that quite regularly. Is that what you are asking about?

I have read some less than glorious reviews about Royal Purple, but that doesn't mean the fluid was actually at fault for their problems.

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
First manual and the only one I have ever driven so I don't really know. I am also due to do a clutch fluid swap too. From what I have read I am overdue on that, most recommendations are to change that quite regularly. Is that what you are asking about?

Clutch fluid flush is a maintenance on these cars.
I always flush mine right when it seems to start getting dirty.

But you'll notice some cars more then others they seem to get a slight mushy pedal cold. As the car warms up it improves along with the shifting.
I always pay attention to the free play in the pedal.
Hydraulic clutches are a pain sometimes.

Hydraulics are very important for the longevity on the T56 in a F/Y car.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Yeah, I have read about changing the clutch fluid whenever you do the oil, at the least.

The clutch and trans are so much better warmed up.

The more I read about the T56 the more I shake my head. I really enjoy the box or rocks noise that everyone talks about. I hear the StangShifterGaskets.com gasket really helps keep that noise down.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I did the clutch fluid today and it was terrible. I am glad I ran across the thread about changing that. I will be sure to add that to my regular routine.

I ordered 5 quarts of the Redline D4 from Amazon, which arrives Wednesday, and I am planning to do the fluid Saturday if my new shifter gasket comes by then.

Thanks for all the help.

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
The GTO's do call for 4.6 q. The F cars call for 4.
The GTO triple coned synchronizers on all forward gears is a best version that has more in common with a T 6060 than a T56. But it is a T56, with a higher recommended fill capacity.
I dont know why I had it in my mind yours was an F car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info