what do you hate/dislike/not enjoy/fail at cooking?

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Also, KayJay is right on the money with the chicken. Grilled is the hardest to do IMO cause you can burn the outside before the inside is cooked. Something like sous viding them first is great cause you know they're cooked inside and you just have to add some grill marks.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I enjoy cooking and I think I have gotten quite good at it. I've been in a rut lately with seasonings and sticking to certain things and attempting new combinations. I also hate chopping vegetables or a lot of the prep work, it's not that I'm not good at it I just don't enjoy that part of cooking.

My biggest fail is not taking something out of the freezer for the next day's dinner. I absolutely hate anything microwaved even using it to defrost. The other biggest fail for me is going to the store every 2-3 days to pick up fresh produce.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'm terrible at complete meals. My biggest thing is getting timing down so that everything is done relatively close to the same time. Other than that I'm pretty good at everything aside from baking. I can do it, I'd just rather spend $3 on some cookies rather than an afternoon.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
My biggest fail is not taking something out of the freezer for the next day's dinner. I absolutely hate anything microwaved even using it to defrost. The other biggest fail for me is going to the store every 2-3 days to pick up fresh produce.

yep im bad at thinking to take meat out of my freezer to use. i need to get better at that

Fill sink up with hot water and let it thaw while still in the packaging. :io: Only thing I have to contribute to this.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
The Big Thaw — Safe Defrosting Methods for Consumers

Uh, oh! You're home and forgot to thaw something for dinner. You grab a package of meat or chicken and use hot water to thaw it fast. But is this safe? What if you remembered to take food out of the freezer, but forgot and left the package on the counter all day while you were at work?

Neither of these situations is considered safe, and these methods of thawing may lead to foodborne illness. Raw or cooked meat, poultry or egg products, as any perishable foods, must be kept at a safe temperature during "the big thaw." They are safe indefinitely while frozen. However, as soon as they begin to thaw and become warmer than 40 °F, bacteria that may have been present before freezing can begin to multiply.

Perishable foods should never be thawed on the counter, or in hot water and must not be left at room temperature for more than two hours.

Even though the center of the package may still be frozen as it thaws on the counter, the outer layer of the food could be in the "Danger Zone," between 40 and 140 °F — temperatures where bacteria multiply rapidly.

When thawing frozen food, it's best to plan ahead and thaw in the refrigerator where it will remain at a safe, constant temperature — at 40 °F or below.
https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/porta...afe-defrosting-methods-for-consumers/CT_Index

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
that also sounds like a waste of flank steak and a waste of bacon :rofl: each are so good on their own... they don't need eachother.

It's like having sex with Sophia Vergara and Julie Bowen at the same time. Sure, either would be good by themselves but put them together and it's twice as good.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
My refrigerator is OK but not perfect at keeping produce fresh. I'd also like to have some more cubic feet since my mom is now adding her groceries to it. I haven't been as happy with the fridge since she moved in. It's more... crammed and my stuff gets moved.

So, I'm arguing a bit with Amy because of this item being offered at this Friday's auction near me.

wrx988sibm_14_.jpg

The fridge is $2,199 on sale at Best Buy and it will probably go for around $500 at the auction. I wouldn't mind bidding on it but Amy doesn't want to spend the money. That middle drawer is temp. controllable so it could be set for produce or whatever. That would be nice. Plus, it's bigger than mine so my food would have room to breathe. Decisions, decisions. Happy wife or big, cool fridge?

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
I wish I was better at meat fabrication. Would be great to buy a quarter or half a cow and professionally butcher it yourself so it looks like what you buy in the stores. Never tried it, maybe it's not that hard.

Have dressed out a few moose and deer before but then send off to a butcher - it seems like that's quite a bit different.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Chicken noodle soup is my kryptonite. I can't seem to make it taste worth a damn.

That said, I seem to under cook chicken a lot so I don't cook it a fuck ton. Drives me bonkers.

dude. i hear you there.

it always turns out decent, but it's never like- home cookin' greasy hearty delicious goodness like you'd get at some supper club in wisconsin.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info