what do you hate/dislike/not enjoy/fail at cooking?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
what do you hate/dislike/not enjoy/fail at cooking?

OP
Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
for me. round steak. fuck round steak.

worthless piece of jack shit meat.

no way to do anything good with round aside from grinding it into ground beef.

OP
Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
other thing i don't enjoy cooking because im never PUMPED about how they turn out.

grilled lobster tails. cutting them. prepping them. grilling them.

meat's always decent, but presentation and ease of getting meat out... not typically super.

Gamble

Reaction score
I hate cooking chicken. I'm always worried it's under cooked

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I cannot bake anything worth a shit. Baking is a mysterious magic. I fuck up even the break and bake cookies.

OP
Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i friggen hate baking or following any recipe to a T

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Fucking burgers

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm terrible with fish.

Anything else I can handle.

90% of what I cook is simple for time reasons. I do enjoy getting down with a few hits of cooking when I have time though

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Chopping up veggies into tiny pieces for salsa. I get requests for it often and it's so much work for something that's gone in a day.

For anyone who worries about cooking temps, get a digital, instant read thermometer. It's one of my favorite kitchen tools. Takes the guesswork out.

OP
Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
dude get a food processor.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
No chance. I have a couple processors and they don't do as clean a job. Using a sharp knife for clean cuts helps the little bits of veggies retain more moisture. I think that makes the difference between OK salsa and awesome salsa.

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
I hate cooking chicken. I'm always worried it's under cooked
Meat thermometer is your best friend especially for chicken and pork.
I pull bone in chicken breasts off the grill at 160, let them rest 10 min and done!
I hate cooking fish, and that means all fish. Not a fan of fish but my wife is and she usually has me grill it for her.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Fish is tough for me, too. There's no consistency in thickness with fish and different types of fish cook at different rates. That makes it hard to time the cook and you need to go on feel/appearance.

OP
Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
gah pulling chicken off the grill when it is at 160* leaves so much flavor and moisture on the table...

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
gah pulling chicken off the grill when it is at 160* leaves so much flavor and moisture on the table...
What do you pull them off at? I have seen and read about people taking them off at 140, but IDK about all that.

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
Lately I'm hit and miss with steaks ever since I got my new grill. On my old tail gate Weber Q I was spot on. It's getting better.

I agree with lobster tail. I suck.

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
No chance. I have a couple processors and they don't do as clean a job. Using a sharp knife for clean cuts helps the little bits of veggies retain more moisture. I think that makes the difference between OK salsa and awesome salsa.
My knife work needs so much help. But honestly, I have the Pampered Chef version of the "slap-chop" and it works really well for me. It isn't as good as a chef with good knife skills. But it beats my knife skills and food processor by far.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
for me. round steak. fuck round steak.

worthless piece of jack shit meat.

no way to do anything good with round aside from grinding it into ground beef.
Try tenderizing it with a tenderizer mallet then just searing each side for maybe half a minute. Season with S & P. I do several things with round steak. Pepper and onions, round steak in gravy with mashed potatoes, sandwiches, etc. If you sear the steak and then use the pan for gravy, you get some good flavor.

BTW, thanks for an idea. I'm going to head out to K&J this week and get some flank steak so I can do bacon wrapped flank steak rounds. Damn, they are good. Cut the flank steak into strips, wrap it around a piece of bacon and toothpick it shut. Season with S&P, garlic, maybe a little Worcestershire sauce. Fry it up in the pan to medium rare. IIRC. I pre cook the bacon a little before wrapping it up.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm impatient so I use the microwave a lot more then I should. Good food should cook faster and easier.

OP
Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
What do you pull them off at? I have seen and read about people taking them off at 140, but IDK about all that.
140 or so if the grill was rippin'. if cooler 150.

Try tenderizing it with a tenderizer mallet then just searing each side for maybe half a minute. Season with S & P. I do several things with round steak. Pepper and onions, round steak in gravy with mashed potatoes, sandwiches, etc. If you sear the steak and then use the pan for gravy, you get some good flavor.

BTW, thanks for an idea. I'm going to head out to K&J this week and get some flank steak so I can do bacon wrapped flank steak rounds. Damn, they are good. Cut the flank steak into strips, wrap it around a piece of bacon and toothpick it shut. Season with S&P, garlic, maybe a little Worcestershire sauce. Fry it up in the pan to medium rare. IIRC. I pre cook the bacon a little before wrapping it up.
fuck that. ill just buy meat that doesn't suck.

you're lying to yourself if you enjoy it.

you can do so much more with something else that is cheap that has flavor... like chuck.

flank steak is delicious and easy. it doesn't suck.

that also sounds like a waste of flank steak and a waste of bacon :rofl: each are so good on their own... they don't need eachother.

OP
Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=2761]Shawn1112[/MENTION]

How to Grill the Juiciest Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts | Serious Eats

The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Chicken Breast | Serious Eats

i preach about this site regularly... i seriously love it because he uses science to back everything up.

If you do want to try to take the temp, 150°F (66°C) is your goal. That's a bit lower than the 165°F (74°C) recommended by the FDA, but if you go as high as the FDA says, you'll be guaranteed dry chicken breast. The thing to remember is that rendering food safe to eat is a factor of both temperature and time. That means that if your chicken reaches 150°F and stays at that temperature for just three minutes, it's as safe to eat as chicken cooked to 165°F, a temperature that renders the chicken instantly safe to eat. (You can read more about the safety of 150°F chicken here.)
Pasteurization Time for Chicken With 5% Fat Content (7-log10 lethality)
[TOP]
Temperature Time
136°F (58°C) 68.4 minutes
140°F (60°C) 27.5 minutes
145°F (63°C) 9.2 minutes
150°F (66°C) 2.8 minutes
155°F (68°C) 47.7 seconds
160°F (71°C) 14.8 seconds
165°F (74°C) Instant

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
I cannot bake anything worth a shit. Baking is a mysterious magic. I fuck up even the break and bake cookies.
I pull the cookies from the oven 2 minutes under what their lowest cooking time is. For example. Bake at 450 for 12-15 minutes. Take them out at 10 and leave them on the pan to cool. The bottoms will stiffen up and the cookie will still be soft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom