Food / Drink What did you have for lunch today?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
For a long time I swore I've never go back to Istanbul, but in the last few years I've kind of reversed that thought...

Depending on where you stay (we were in Old Town), this was a good place to eat. Had really good saganaki. Only a few blocks from the Grand Bazaar.

We sat outside, and the people at the table next to us had three occupants. Two were from Denver, and the other was from St. Louis. What are the odds?
how come? open to ideas for new places to check out that could be in the running for this, but it's my favorite city to just go out and walk around in. any direction and i enjoy it. will say i didn't stay where you did though; certainly visited it, but on my trips i lived not far off of istiklal. i'd take the train or more often walk if i went to this area, once a weekend if that. i never really explored the asian side so i think i'll do that a little on the next visit. per google, doesn't look like your place survived covid - it's marked as permanently closed.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
i'm in thailand, do you mean going to greece? i have never been there, although looked at some flights to it recently.

i'm going to istanbul later this year, which i love and is kind of a sweet spot for mileage redemptions from thailand, like 60k points each way to fly in fancy middle eastern business class (or 80k first) - i was hoping i could add a bop to athens for free but it's just out of range for that. may try to fit into 2024 plans.

Thailand. Going to hit Japan as well, layover in Narita anyway so might as well try to do 1-2 nights in Tokyo.

Also kiddo might be studying abroad in Greece or Italy so might end up there next year too lol.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Thailand. Going to hit Japan as well, layover in Narita anyway so might as well try to do 1-2 nights in Tokyo.

Also kiddo might be studying abroad in Greece or Italy so might end up there next year too lol.
i've gone through the airport a chonk of times but have never been out in japan. with thailand as as indefinite home base at the moment i should take the opportunity to explore some more regional stuff more easily now. i'm on koh lanta, it's a boat trip from phuket/phi phi or a drive from krabi.

Reactions: torquelover

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
16ED0F9A-CBAB-4D5C-9B25-9410345EB335.jpeg

Love me some yee-ros.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
today i went to a swedish owned restaurant where i usually do western mains, but did their thai tapas dishes today. tonight is my last night here, i'm going on a 2 week south africa trip for fun and 1 week san francisco trip for work.

PXL_20230218_095201175.jpeg

i don't typically drink, or do desserts (or at least make them myself) but today we have:

a beer -

PXL_20230218_092842165.jpeg

the thai dishes - from the top left to bottom right:
plaa goong - spicy sweet and sour shrimp salad
nahm dtok neua - spicy "waterfall beef" salad
khua kling gai - dry red spicy curry with chopped chicken
steamed rice

i could keep eating the beef perpetually. the chicken was fairly spicy but not too crazy. all quite good.

PXL_20230218_093627698.jpeg

for dessert, a scoop of strawberry rhubarb ice cream -

PXL_20230218_095335203.jpeg

i left a tip and paid 600 thb all together, today worth about $17.42.

just got back, in about 3 hours i'll be going to that other place i've posted before with multiple dishes and proteins, ending my last night here with a bang on food intake and calories lol

Thread Info