What did my kid do v. iPhone

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
This is driving me fucking nuts. Handed my kid the iPhone at dinner the other night. Whatever he did, when I took the phone back it said “iPhone storage full”. Had a shit ton of space before that.

he didn’t take any videos
He didn’t redownload any apps
Now my pics are taking up 9gb of space even though I only have 200 of them

I use google photos and have a bajillion photos on there, but those shouldn’t take up space on the phone. He was playing in the google photos app

• Haha
Reactions: DEEZUZ

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
5D72CFAE-1271-460B-81D4-F513343EB834.png

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
for starters, at least it turns on still. Can you double click home and see the recent apps? that may help guide ya

Do you have it backed up? maybe a reset is needed.
I mean id prefer to actually solve the issue instead of Reset. He did this Saturday so I’ve used all kinds of apps since then

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
OK so I'd just like to state that whatever he did totally fubar'd this phone. No matter what I do, the phone fills itself up. Since he did this I've offloaded every single picture, deleted the facebook app (almost a half gig), cleared safari twice (clearing 300mb), and removed 1.6 gigs worth of downloaded music

Every time I offload something, it's better for like 30 minutes, then magically fills itself back up again even if I don't touch the fucking thing. It's unreal. I was at 30.6 gigs this morning vs capacity of 32 gigs and it said it was too full to save or take a picture (wtf). Then I offloaded FB and got down to 30.2 gigs. Pick it up an hour later......32 GIGS ON THE PHONE and now I can't even receive texts

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
It's funny, it actually says it's "too full for an icloud backup". Considering I have like 40 gigs worth of capacity on icloud it's referencing the phone, which doesn't make sense but w/e. It last backed up on 7/8 so I'm fine

I just tried "erase all settings", one step short of a factory reset, we'll see if that does anything. I don't feel like waiting hours for it to re-download everything from the cloud but if this doesn't work, that's the next step

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
This shit isn't magic. Check your settings on synced data. Music, photos, apps etc. It doesn't just magically grow for no reason. If it's happening that fast then it should be STUPID OBVIOUS what it is.
The "other" category ballooned up to 18.7 gigs. I searched "sync" on the phone to find every single option. Icloud sync was on, which seems totally unnecessary because i think icloud "backup" is all that matters when you only have 1 apple device, so I turned that off. Dropped to 18.4 gigs after a restart...maybe it'll keep going down? I didn't see any others. Music storage is down 2 gigs now and if I turn that sync off it says i'll lose my apple library songs. I don't have anything in the calendar, etcetc

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
We just had a similar issue with my 79 year old dad that was using a flip phone. We gave him an old iPhone 6 we had laying around. It worked perfect. A week later he calls me that it doesn’t work and he wants his flip phone back. He was pressing everything like a 2 year old to the point the phone had no sound. We had to reset to factory settings and I made it so he didn’t have to enter passcode to enter. I eliminated all “unnecessary” apps so he wouldn’t get confused...lol. He just wanted to use it as a phone. “I don’t need the weather app!”....bah humbug!

• Haha
Reactions: FESTER665
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info