What could I be up to?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I've read the K series motors usually sit too far forward on older body styles. which = poor handling

Same problem with the H22 nut-huggers,

"Its only 30lbs more"

But its positioned differently which makes for "Oh Fuck" bad handling.

My MAIN beef with the K series, is that there are only 3 options and they are all crazy complicated or not worth it

1) K24 block Civic SI/RSX-S Head - MOST power and torque, but its a franken swap...
2) K20 out of RSX-S (But you need a different intake manifold for it to fit, and you can't use the 6 speed)
3) K20 out of a Civic SI (and you will still have no torque)
*all 3 need SERIOUSLY expensive ECUs as well*

Last edited:

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
Yep, if you're going to boost..fuck VTEC. All the power of VTEC is in the near redline RPM range. With a turbo you'll be shifting before that because it will be in it's inefficiency range. And you need an LS transmission anyway for the longer gears to build boost and not have to shift to third quick just to build pressure.

Last edited:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Yep, if you're going to boost..fuck VTEC. All the power of VTEC is in the near redline RPM range. With a turbo you'll be shifting before that because it will be in it's inefficiency range. And you need an LS transmission anyway for the longer gears to build boost and not have to shift to third quick just to build pressure.

Originally I was thinking of getting a B16 or GSR Trans, but I realized the same thing, LS power is all midrange (And is ALOT Cheaper) and if I boost it will be right there in the midrange as well. That and I will just smoke all of first gear anyways if I have a B16 trans.
I miss the torque of my SHO, so the B18B is the next best thing :wiggle:

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I myself wouldnt waste any money, but if I was you since your going through with the trouble of a engine swap why not get a better engine? I wasn't aware of the outrages costs of these motor swaps.

Its because of ricer markup. Same reason supras, rx7s, 240s, etc. are so overpriced.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
what is the shape of the motor. did you do a comp test before you pulled it? atleast it is a auto motor. You will like the ls and the TQ they make over the vtec motors.

Motors story: Car was totaled by insurance *EXTREMELY minor front end damage, I dug up some old posts and found the damage to it* It was sold at auction to a dealership owner (Who specializes in imports etc) and he bought it for the transmission and a few trim pieces and other stuff and drove it back to his lot.

He's had it forsale for a month now and noone had bought it (Cause everyone says they will take it and noone shows the fuck up on Honda-tech)

I made him a low-ball offer and he said "Sure" I asked how much he wanted for the axles and mid-shaft and he said "$25 more?" so he really didn't care to make much/any money off that motor probably just trying to make back what he paid for the rest of the car. and like you said, since its an auto chances are it wasn't beat on that bad, probably just a chicks car or something.

I'm picking it up on Saturday and for the price I'm getting it for, even if it had a toasted headgasket or rings it would still be worth it so I'm not to worried.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Its because of ricer markup. Same reason supras, rx7s, 240s, etc. are so overpriced.

Funny thing, B16 motors make as much or less torque than a D16 *Stock* and have 25-35 more hp, but cost typically 700-1500 MORE than a D16.

Same goes for the LS motor I'm picking up, its Stock and not 'high end' so noone cares about it, and can be picked up cheap unlike the GSR/ITR motors but has MORE torque than either of them.

TURBOC1

Addict
Oct 23, 2007
Marengo,IL
At least down the road if you want vtec you can do the swap fast and cheap. This swap isnt like the mine-me swap. the ls block is the same deck height as the b18c blocks. So you just have to use the vtec waterpump,oil, timing belt. goldeneagle makes a fast and easy swap kit. have fun and boost the shit out of it. just dont be cheap on the tuning, that is the biggest part on the turbo honda's. ( same as with everyother car)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
At least down the road if you want vtec you can do the swap fast and cheap. This swap isnt like the mine-me swap. the ls block is the same deck height as the b18c blocks. So you just have to use the vtec waterpump,oil, timing belt. goldeneagle makes a fast and easy swap kit. have fun and boost the shit out of it. just dont be cheap on the tuning, that is the biggest part on the turbo honda's. ( same as with everyother car)

You got PM speaking of which.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info