What are you working on today?!

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Nice ass manicured lawn and then you see that shit. But hey, they have great schools.
giphy.gif

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I watched a few tutorials on removing texture from drywall. This method seemed easiest/cheapest so I opted for that. The test section I did late last week was really easy, so I thought it would be a breeze. Yeah, full scale sucks.
Don’t want to spend the $ on pulling drywall down and replacing, though that would be the easiest and it would allow me to fix a few things down here. Wife and I have talked about getting a quote to have someone redo the whole basement in a couple years, as she hates the floors and the drop ceiling and a few other things. In the meantime this is my solution for at least getting the theater room ready.

Reactions: Jon01

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
Any thoughts on doing that for an 07 Silverado NNBS (6.5’?bree My rear wheel arches are rotted away, along with the rocker panels. Good news is the cab corners are solid.

trying to find somewhere to get it looking better, but doesn’t have to be factory fresh, it’s got 183k miles on it. Body rotting and rusting, interior is like 95% and mechanical is solid too. Would really like to keep it another 10 years and 200k miles, but there won’t be any sheet metal left.
Seems like this is the same truck as mine. Which means it wont fit in my garage. Thats why I've been doing this one here at work. I should have this one done in a week or so then I can figure out the logistics.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I watched a few tutorials on removing texture from drywall. This method seemed easiest/cheapest so I opted for that. The test section I did late last week was really easy, so I thought it would be a breeze. Yeah, full scale sucks.
Don’t want to spend the $ on pulling drywall down and replacing, though that would be the easiest and it would allow me to fix a few things down here. Wife and I have talked about getting a quote to have someone redo the whole basement in a couple years, as she hates the floors and the drop ceiling and a few other things. In the meantime this is my solution for at least getting the theater room ready.

The issue is it's usually a lot faster just to rip it out and install a new sheet or two.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
The issue is it's usually a lot faster just to rip it out and install a new sheet or two.

Yeah, but it's alot cheaper to scrape it off.

The video I saw about skimming it said it was about $15 to do 3 coats on 2 large walls.

Ripping it out and putting in new drywall, we'd still need someone to come mud/tape it all and then paint it. We talked about getting a quote to have the entire basement redone. The people who flipped the house, you can tell they ripped out some walls and put up new drywall. There's 3 different types of drop ceiling panels in the basement and there's different texture in the different areas too. So we want to make it uniform. I wanted to paint the theater room so that once the new theater seats arrive, it'll be that much closer to finished, but wife was like no, not with the textured walls. :rolleyes:

So that's what started all of this.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
@Jon01 I soaked with water, it wasn’t hot. After some trial and error the first half hour or so, I did get a routine down eventually. Soak about a foot tall section of the wall from side to side. Rough scrape with the big putty knife the peaks of the texture. Then some again and go with a smaller knife and get down to the drywall. That foot tall section would take me about 10-15 mins to get done. (The wall is 6-7 feet wide approximately)

then when all the walls are done I’ll need to skim and sand before final paint.
I got a quote to do my basement.. i started doing exactly what you are.

........they said they wouldnt even bother and would just put 1/4" drywall over it all and patch it.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
........they said they wouldnt even bother and would just put 1/4" drywall over it all and patch it.
I can see doing that on a ceiling, but on the walls I see 2 issues. Wouldnt your outlets and switches then sit 1/4" back and wouldnt it cause an issue with window/door casement?
Yea fuck that noise detail a few cars and with the extra money re drywall the basement. Best thing I did when I did my basement was pay a CO to drywall it was done in a few days.
Hanging drywall is easy, taping and mudding is what sucks.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I can see doing that on a ceiling, but on the walls I see 2 issues. Wouldnt your outlets and switches then sit 1/4" back and wouldnt it cause an issue with window/door casement?

Hanging drywall is easy, taping and mudding is what sucks.
That's the same fucking thought I had... So i did a little research and they do make gang box extenders and its only 1 window, but its one of those window well windows so some edging would hide it well. But the other issue was the drop ceiling might look odd because the metal frame along the walls would be covered, making it obvious if you looked close enough that the wall was put on after the drop ceiling.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Yeah, but it's alot cheaper to scrape it off.

Time is money....

If you're going through the trouble to skim coat and all that, might as well tape and mud new seams, itll be flatter and look better when finished.

I always hang the drywall then pay a company to mud and tape, ton easier for them to do it because again, time is money. Rather work a few hours of OT and pay someone to do it in 1/4 the time it would take me.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
All good options and points that I've already thought of. Since this is more of a "want" than a "need" project, I guess we have time.

Can I watch movies down there as is? Sure. I'm just trying to get a better space for my "dream home theater".

I'll keep plugging away at it and see if I get faster/better technique for all this, but I am also going to look into getting quotes from drywall/mud/tape guys and see just how much it'll cost to have a pro do it all.

That being said, since we want to redo the basement anyways, if we end up pulling drywall down, I have some things I will do differently for that theater basement. Put in some PVC behind the walls so that fishing wires isn't such a pain in the ass. And running some through the back wall so my rear right channel is less "center-right" and more "right".

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
All good options and points that I've already thought of. Since this is more of a "want" than a "need" project, I guess we have time.

Can I watch movies down there as is? Sure. I'm just trying to get a better space for my "dream home theater".

I'll keep plugging away at it and see if I get faster/better technique for all this, but I am also going to look into getting quotes from drywall/mud/tape guys and see just how much it'll cost to have a pro do it all.

That being said, since we want to redo the basement anyways, if we end up pulling drywall down, I have some things I will do differently for that theater basement. Put in some PVC behind the walls so that fishing wires isn't such a pain in the ass. And running some through the back wall so my rear right channel is less "center-right" and more "right".
Put textured wallpaper up, hide the textured drywall.

In seriousness though, in this house I had wallpaper that had this textured print in it, like they used sand to make it. They didn't size the wall first, just slapped the wallpaper on the drywall that had super cheap contractor grade primer sprayed on, and wasn't even a good coat.

Prior g/f couldn't stand looking at it anymore, so she decided to start peeling it off. Got lucky with the first few feet as they barely used any glue, so it came off. Then got to the point where it was coming off in fingernail size pieces. She then decided she had better things to do and disappeared. Left me with a major fucking headache. You name it, I tried it to get the rest off. Ended up having to hire a contractor to bring in heavy duty equipment. At least 50% of the wall surfaces had to be skim coated since the wallpaper took off the top layer of drywall paper. Four guy crew took five days at 8-9 hours a day to get it done.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

GM’s break ?

Thread Info