đź’¬ OT What are you working on today?!

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
working on this Peltier based wine fridge. nee external fans, new power supply to replace the hokey dual 12v 5a ones and I lost one connector. :fu:

IMG_20220103_151940996.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
You still make more money per check though right? The more hours you book in a week the more you make? If you guys have the work I’d book 100+ hrs every week.
No. I'm Paid hourly.

Book hour means nothing.

It USED to be used to calculate your PERFORMANCE bonus.

During the performance bonus time you got paid your hourly and then if you booked say 60 hours for the week you'd get a share of that profit.

They cut that off

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Hey I'm not saying that it's all a miss, but I had 2 of them and they leaked like a fuckin sieve.
To rant about this more, Here's the piece that I had that leaked. At the top right there's an adapter that is secured with the spring clip. Into that a barb and a hose goes as below. The adapter was where the leaks were happening. Far as I'm concerned Dorman had a few options here:

1-A direct hose barb on the neck as one piece to replace this. Overall this is smart, it saves 2 o-rings, a clip, making 2 additional pieces, 2 additional joints at which to leak. Potential downside would be the complexity in the mold and a potential higher rejection rate
2-Make the adapter directly into the part and use the standard hose. This saves 1 o-ring, 1 clip, reduces the joints by 1 and maintains compatibility with the hose (from what I've been told you replace both at once anyways.) This would likely not add any significant complexity to the mold.
3-Just put a threaded hole where this is and put a regular hose barb in. This saves a clip, 2 o-rings and net 1 piece. The barb could probably be made of plastic even. Down side is the threading would need testing.

Any of these would have been a significantly improved product with likely reduced overall cost. If they did this the GM guys would probably buy the part provided GM didn't make a knockoff of the improved version. I believe I measured the parts up and found one of them out of spec.

I will also say I'd like to know the reasoning of the person at GM that engineered this part in the first place, if there was any. It seems like a lot of complexity that would cost money and reduce reliability with no discernible purpose I can figure out except maybe something about ease of assembly when the engine's installed.

61z1BULN6gL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71C1soFJ+cL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I refuse to use any dorman product on a fucking cruze. They're bad enough, don't need to add cheap chinese shit to the mix.

What's funny is for as horrible as they are purported to be my '13 been pretty good so far at ~155K. Getting nervous about the clutch tbh/trans (trans is getting a bit noisy in high gear,) but I had the water pump done under warranty, I've done the alternator, the throttle body, I've done the water neck and I stuck a gasket on the valve cover. No turbo yet, no engine/trans work. Overall I'd put repairs on a 150K+ car at under $750 which isn't horrid.

If I have to do the turbo or anything with the engine/trans setup I'm probably going to get into trouble. I'd think a flex fuel sensor/tune would hit this after a clutch did and I doubt I'd put a stock turbo back on.

I've heard a lot of horror stories though and I'm hoping my luck holds out. From what I understand the first few years had really major teeth cutting issues too including a really really terrible factory tune up until about 2012. Just wish I had the 2014+ manual in mine because supposedly it's more durable.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
If I booked 30 hours a week or 70 hours doesn't matter to my paycheck.

I'll still get paid whatever I worked, 40 hours.
Then TCG it up my friend and take a nap on that sweet creeper, because fuck if I’d be booking over 40hrs a week then. They charge the customer by book hours? If so that’s fucked and you should be making all that.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Thread Info