20210303_075546.jpg
20210303_075543.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I don't get dirty hardly ever.

I hate being greasy or oily. It happens.. But very rare.

seriously amazing

id need to fucking bathe in goop after just trying to touch 3 bolts in that thing.

our forklift "needs" a starter and it's about as oily as that pic and i am looooathing the day where it REALLY needs a starter.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Think I just stumbled on a big SNAFU.

I pulled apart a turbine flow meter this morning for maintenance in our chilled water loop. All the stainless parts were covered in a copper deposition. A couple weeks back I noticed the same thing on a stainless strainer basket. No bueno. As soon as I saw that I knew something was up.

I should note we recently started adding sodium silicate to the water for corrosion inhibition. Sodium silicate forms a film on the pipe walls that self heals as it gets corroded away. Well, it doesn’t do as much on copper as it does on steel or ductile iron. So corrosion now moved from easy to munch steel to all the copper coils and HX and is depositing on other surfaces.

sodium silicate is pretty common stuff. It’s dosed in potable water distribution all the time, especially where there is lead pipe still in the ground to reduce the amount of lead leeching into the water supply. Flint, take note.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Think I just stumbled on a big SNAFU.

I pulled apart a turbine flow meter this morning for maintenance in our chilled water loop. All the stainless parts were covered in a copper deposition. A couple weeks back I noticed the same thing on a stainless strainer basket. No bueno. As soon as I saw that I knew something was up.

I should note we recently started adding sodium silicate to the water for corrosion inhibition. Sodium silicate forms a film on the pipe walls that self heals as it gets corroded away. Well, it doesn’t do as much on copper as it does on steel or ductile iron. So corrosion now moved from easy to munch steel to all the copper coils and HX and is depositing on other surfaces.

sodium silicate is pretty common stuff. It’s dosed in potable water distribution all the time, especially where there is lead pipe still in the ground to reduce the amount of lead leeching into the water supply. Flint, take note.

When it drops out of coolant it clogs coolers and filters.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
When it drops out of coolant it clogs coolers and filters.
Luckily, passages on most HVAC shit are large enough diameter where that’s not an issue. We run pretty low concentrations too.

One place it may be an issue is cooling magnets in the accelerators here. The wire is all hollow and not everything is isolated from chilled water by a HX.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
They look wired?

LED Lift Kit 12 ft. 186-Watt Equivalent Integrated LED White Strip Kit Auto or Truck Lift Kit 5000K (1-Pack)

Napa had them for $125 last week. Had to order them though.

Thread Info