đź’¬ OT What are you working on today?!

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Revamping our entire ADDC structure to move it off of a 2008 functional level to a 2016 level with all 2012R2/2016 servers. Need to move DHCP off a random fuck off remote server onto our remote DC as well as all the services from the two old DCs to the two new DCs. Fully expecting some major headaches because the old server structure from the previous two IT admins got so convoluted it was a rat's nest worse than the patch panel rat's nest I unfucked last year. Gunna love dealing with certificates. :rolleyes: As well as moving unnecessary roles off of the DCs for whatever fucking reason they were placed there to begin with. Also sticking with a naming scheme of companyinitials-location-serverrole so we don't get into this mess of random fuck off server names again since we're going to have an additional IT site shortly as well.

I know it's totally as riveting as physical manual labor but holy fuck. This server structure has been the bane of my existence for the past 3 years and remembering all the server names.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Revamping our entire ADDC structure to move it off of a 2008 functional level to a 2016 level with all 2012R2/2016 servers. Need to move DHCP off a random fuck off remote server onto our remote DC as well as all the services from the two old DCs to the two new DCs. Fully expecting some major headaches because the old server structure from the previous two IT admins got so convoluted it was a rat's nest worse than the patch panel rat's nest I unfucked last year. Gunna love dealing with certificates. :rolleyes: As well as moving unnecessary roles off of the DCs for whatever fucking reason they were placed there to begin with. Also sticking with a naming scheme of companyinitials-location-serverrole so we don't get into this mess of random fuck off server names again since we're going to have an additional IT site shortly as well.

I know it's totally as riveting as physical manual labor but holy fuck. This server structure has been the bane of my existence for the past 3 years and remembering all the server names.

Fuuuuuuuck that. I have a 5 gallon bucket here full of old gasoline from the Astro you can have to toss on that if you're so inclined. Are you talking about the new thing where it requires secure LDAP? You can revert that back if needed through a policy change btw.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Gotta love fixing other people's fuck ups...

Truck was at another place for 2 months.

They changed the trans module twice. Still had same issue...

Lemme get up in here.
giphy.gif

20200528_102926.jpg

20200528_104016.jpg

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Fuuuuuuuck that. I have a 5 gallon bucket here full of old gasoline from the Astro you can have to toss on that if you're so inclined. Are you talking about the new thing where it requires secure LDAP? You can revert that back if needed through a policy change btw.

One DC changeover went surprisingly smooth. Been up for about 2 and a half weeks now with no issues reported at the remote site. Old file server got sent as well and the new one is up with no issues other than forgetting to share the drives (whoops). Last major changeover we need to do is our main DC. DNS, DHCP, FSMO, Kerberos, NPS, fucking everything is on this ancient behemoth. That's the one I'm worried about but by doing the secondary DC with no issues it definitely helped my confidence of not fucking up this other one. :rofl:

Also, we bought a Nimble SAN 2 years ago and this thing has been an absolute fucking LIFESAVER. They used to run all data storage local to the servers except for our "shared" drive which was where everyone stored everything. Now E V E R Y T H I N G is a SAN volume with connectors from the various servers needing the resources. Holy fuck did that make my life monumentally easier for standing up new machines/backups/recovery/etc. I'm sure this is common practice everywhere but you should see some of the dog shit old programs we still use and should've seen the mess that was the server room when I first got hired.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Where did you get it from? I could definitely find a use for one. I'm using an pneumatic one with my small-ish air compressor, but it has a small reservoir. That pass-through one would be a lot more flexible, and wouldn't need to drag the compressor along.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Where did you get it from? I could definitely find a use for one. I'm using an pneumatic one with my small-ish air compressor, but it has a small reservoir. That pass-through one would be a lot more flexible, and wouldn't need to drag the compressor along.
. Amazon

Amazon product

I'm sure they're cheaper some where. I bought it for the SHO for PTU fluid exchanges

Thread Info