đź’¬ OT What are you working on today?!

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Building this thing for our patio out of cedar and pressure treated cedar tone 4x4 posts. D3F3D464-91C3-4D18-BE9D-843C7C20118E.jpeg

got all the pieces cut and sanded this morning.
36CE51FB-3C73-41DD-A4B6-E5E182447DBC.jpeg

Got interrupted because we had to go out to DeKalb to adopt this little hellion.

FCEFED4A-0954-4B28-9A9D-B2A81EF13EA9.jpeg7894F5D2-113D-4CFA-9724-DD6F6040A35C.jpegDD3166A3-8639-44D3-BC71-5775D82CD731.jpeg

Got her settled into her introduction room and was able to get back out in the garage for a bit to get a coat of stain/sealer on the cedar decking and get started on the pocket holes for the frame.

C98684C2-CFDC-408E-A845-C80DD73C7C6C.jpegA3C7C9FB-E939-47FC-A2AA-98E4907E421A.jpeg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I've been reading that to get the bolts off a GM converter you have to drop the starter. What the hell they couldn't put an inspection cover on? Sigh.

Working on trying to configure some Exadata networking. Whoever did this doesn't have a fucking clue about subnet computation and is saying my shit conflicts when it doesn't. Goofy bastards.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
It's about time someone is working on a hotrod!!!

Frigging paper work all day for me, AGAIN :(

I'm trying to the damn weather isn't cooperating. I got pushrods lashed last night on one side and need to go over the other ones. What's funny is the poly locks seem to be a weird bastardized hex key side.

• Sad
Reactions: MrDragster1970

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Hell I'm not even running girdles atm. I've very much read that they are a mixed bag. I'm also not super confident I'd want to run them on these World S/Rs due to some quirks I've seen in the machining.

That likewise says nothing about the idea I'm not planning on spinning up past about 6K and even then these heads should be damn done. They optimistically flow [email protected] lift and that ain't gonna feed 383CI all too well at that RPM. If I can somehow manage the time I'm going to try and get my air compressor working well enough over a winter to pull the heads off and port em. There's a lot of power to be had in these heads if I'm able to take the grinder to em.

I'd much rather dig another set up being patient on CL or Letgo for say $300, port those out, throw em on and sell my old heads if I didn't step up to something significantly nicer. Hell I'd take some Sportsman IIs for this engine tbh. For a street engine I don't think they'd do terrible although a lot more modern options have come out.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

KISS.

I learned the hard way by doing everything 2-3-4 times :( I have zero patience and make idiotic rash decisions daily :(

Run as is, be patient and when you are able, do the entire combination at once.
Without the correct cam, intake, fuel system etc etc killing yourself to max out the heads won't bring the results you expect.
When you are ready to set it on kill, you will have everything you need to do it right, do it once.

I'm fighting with my engine guy now, he's trying to max out some baby heads I bought for the 496".
He's pissing away time & energy to pick up a handful of HP on a dial in combination.
Slap the bitch together and give it to me!!! I don't give a damn about it running x.42 instead of x.49, just make it reliable.

I'm not sure how your set up will like it without girdles?? I am very very far from being an engine builder, I'm a check writer.
I haven't had a cam under .800 in decades, so there's no choice.
Keep a close eye on your valve train for walking or flexing.
I was taught you can even see flex when turning over by hand???
I've never done it, but the so-called experts can measure it??

Good luck, and keep plugging away.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012

KISS.

I learned the hard way by doing everything 2-3-4 times :( I have zero patience and make idiotic rash decisions daily :(

Run as is, be patient and when you are able, do the entire combination at once.
Without the correct cam, intake, fuel system etc etc killing yourself to max out the heads won't bring the results you expect.
When you are ready to set it on kill, you will have everything you need to do it right, do it once.

I'm fighting with my engine guy now, he's trying to max out some baby heads I bought for the 496".
He's pissing away time & energy to pick up a handful of HP on a dial in combination.
Slap the bitch together and give it to me!!! I don't give a damn about it running x.42 instead of x.49, just make it reliable.

I'm not sure how your set up will like it without girdles?? I am very very far from being an engine builder, I'm a check writer.
I haven't had a cam under .800 in decades, so there's no choice.
Keep a close eye on your valve train for walking or flexing.
I was taught you can even see flex when turning over by hand???
I've never done it, but the so-called experts can measure it??

Good luck, and keep plugging away.

Yeah, I know. Gotta make it all work as a system. The cam is actually not terrible (224/230@050) and the lift is something like .503/.510 which is fairly appropriate for these heads even ported. If I was going to do this right I'd port the heads out, 1.65 rockers to get me into the .56 lift range and change out the 987s to a beehive spring. I'd actually have a pretty nice build out at that point for a lowly kicking around town vehicle. The long term goal is to gear it for 1/4 mile even if I don't really ever take it to the track. I don't intend on doing extended highway trips (basically going and picking my kid up from school from Joliet->New Lenox) and if I do I'm going to go to my 9" and I can swap the third member out to 3.50s or 3.0s and knock down that mpg. Even then I have an OD gear box which means that I'll still be kicking it below 2500 RPM at speed even with some massive gears like the 4.30s I think I want to try. It all depends on how this thing goes if/when I make it to the dyno and my converter slip.

The heads are the weak link. I think there's 50HP wrapped up there in just flow right now even with the cam being fairly mild. On this engine that's 15% output in all probability.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Attn: Home owner crew. Anyone have any experience with gutter guards that actually work? I just dug a ton of maple buds out of the second story corners of my roof gutters and would like to not have to go up on the ladder as often.

looking at this style.
6907F3F6-0442-408F-98A9-E0BDFDFA2583.png

I’m mostly fighting these things in the spring and the helicopter seeds that will come next.
F45A4260-72AF-4E11-ADF4-6C131FD7C37B.jpeg

My dad is recommending this style but I can’t see how the water wouldn’t just rush off the ends.
627CE6F7-0AC8-488C-A571-D2915729F3AA.png

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I think it might be time to start looking at a new printer. I've had my Brother printer (mfc-j630w) for a good solid 9 years or so. Damn thing works like a champ. Just starting at the beginning of this year it's not printing to well. As if the needles aren't working properly. If I set the settings to "slow-drying" and "fine" printing, it works and looks fine. If I do a normal print, it looks as if the ink is drying up and doesn't print well.

My excuse to buy another Brother printer. Now to figure out which one.

Also things on my list to do today: Set up temporary outdoor cameras, and possibly work on an upper for the AR.

Thread Info