Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I’m just always like “hmm I’ll watch some YouTube” then get like 3 videos deep and can’t find anything else. I have to click not interested in so many
I've yet to get sucked into the Youtube rabbit hole. I just fine everyone that does shows insufferable.

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I've yet to get sucked into the Youtube rabbit hole. I just fine everyone that does shows insufferable.

Try this channel

Watch with your cat

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
It's my GF's commuter car. She has an hour commute each way for work so I bought it for "us" (90% her) to save money on fuel over a truck. We drive a lot going to the barn 2x/day, her work commute and me going to inspect auction items with zero need to drive one of my trucks so having something that gets 30+ and is easy to park is nice.... In theory, when it actually works and gets that mileage.

Since December I've done Four brand new Bridgestone tires, New Front wheel bearings, New Radiator, New Upper Radiator Hose, New Thermostat, Complete cooling system flush, New air intake tube, New Mass Air Flow sensor, New fuel filler neck (common issue in the midwest, filler neck rusts and causes a fuel leak, New exhaust system including new catalytic converter, New oxygen sensor, New Camshaft Position Sensor, Complete tune-up (spark plugs, plug wires, coil), Fuel system cleaned

And now both LCA's and an axle.

The list was copy/pasted from the For Sale ad a few days before it decided to break again lol

• Haha
Reactions: EmersonHart13

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Luckily we have multiple vehicles so if it goes down I can amazon parts for pennies on the dollar. I think before this most recent round of parts I was only into the thing like $1,183 with everything I've done to it. Still not that bad, just a lot of time wrenching and diagnosing something I bought to be a reliable fuel saver lol.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Is it say pre 12? The early 1.4s had a lot of problems. Water fittings, turbo (the oil line was later insulated. If you don't have it buy one now before it eats the turbo.) and the air boxes are apparently the big ones. We had it eat the water pump, alternator and the TPS (whole TB) too. That said it's actually one of the easier FWDs I've worked on. Not sure if the increased smallness of the Aveo would make that the case though.

The tune on the early turbo engines is also shit. Way too much timing in them. Just a warning.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I don't think any Aveo's were turbo? You may be thinking Sonic? These have a 1.6 N/A in them.

As soon as it's back together I'm dropping the price on the ad and getting it gone. I'll have my 2011 ranger back with a fresh trans in a week or two so she can just drive that to work until March. I'm going to get an 08-10 Focus from the auction, they typically go for like $1,200-$1,750 with 60-80k on them in decent shape.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
There's something tragically wrong with this car that I have yet to figure out. It gets HORRIBLE gas mileage (like 22-24 avg) and is very sluggish under 3,500 RPM (yes, I know they're sluggish all the time). My best guess is that it jumped a tooth on the timing belt and it's off a little bit. Don't know, don't care, don't want to deal with it anymore.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
How do you find that much to watch on YouTube?
Youtube has basically replaced my car tv shows. More technical and generally more realistic. My favorite of them all is Speed Academy because they actually work on rusty midwest/canadian cars where bolts break and shit gets trashed by salt.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKnM8fn3oiMjXNWFnYCAXlw Used to work for the magazines I read. They are 2jz swapping a BMW M3, restoring a 70's celica, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MotiveDVD - They build GTR's and 1000hp + RB26's
https://www.youtube.com/user/PapadakisRacing Used to build drag cars, now they build drift cars. Tearing down and built a 1000hp supra.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLXV9vzJwgYOyGaZlD89VfA Fixes big deezul shit and classic cars.
Dumb funny videos about different cars. Some technical stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCQAt0ipBbsOOIFpIDu9z2Q Hoonigan Project Cars they just build cars/work on theirs.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTieQoFzoGt6VB1u81mWcvw They swap dumb things like K motors and the newer 1.5 Turbo motors into Honda Fits, Less content but usually very informative/technical.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I paid $500 for it needing a radiator, and I wasn't expecting it to be perfect. I've just never experienced a vehicle have SO MANY breakdowns and part failures in such a short amount of time.
One of my ex's wrecked her focus at about 50 into the back of another car on 90 in the rain with me in it (only accident) .Her Dad had a "friend" at the dealer who hosed her on a new aveo. The thing just sucked when it was new. Made the focus look like a luxury car. She is probably still driving that thing. It is basically a Dawoo, rebadged by GM and made in mexico.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Sounds like my Ex... Honda fit/ Mazda 2 and be done with it. Avoid the automatic fiestas.

Yep there's tons of the Fiesta's coming up in the auctions. They're all from NiCor/ ComEd meter reader cars. I know to avoid the early DCT Focus/Fiesta's, that's why I'm looking at the 08-10 ones with the 2.0 Duratec's and conventional automatics.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Yep there's tons of the Fiesta's coming up in the auctions. They're all from NiCor/ ComEd meter reader cars. I know to avoid the early DCT Focus/Fiesta's, that's why I'm looking at the 08-10 ones with the 2.0 Duratec's and conventional automatics.
Not just early dct.. just avoid them all. 2011 fiesta puked its brain out and ford dealer tried to write me up for a new transmission. Wife wanted it because it was cute. Didn't like how the Mazda2 drove even though they were the "same" car. What a waste of money. Duratecs are "fun" at least. We have a 2.5 duratec with cams in our lemons/chump car Rx7 with a miata transmission attached to it all running on microsquirt.

Reactions: Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I typically just stick to shit that I know. I've had 2.3 Duratec engines in rangers so I know how they're laid out. That's what I typically do with vehicles is just find something I like and stick with it lol. I won't touch any of the dual clutch cars whatsoever, should've phrased that better lol.

I won't touch any of the small ecoboost engines either just yet, seeing a lot of head/ block failures.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I typically just stick to shit that I know. I've had 2.3 Duratec engines in rangers so I know how they're laid out. That's what I typically do with vehicles is just find something I like and stick with it lol. I won't touch any of the dual clutch cars whatsoever, should've phrased that better lol.

I won't touch any of the small ecoboost engines either just yet, seeing a lot of head/ block failures.
Yeah I am racing a 2.0 or 2.3 duratec in a 2004 Mazda3 for 24 hours of lemons in april at Autobahn. Love that we can just get another for dirt cheap.

Reactions: Outlaw

Thread Info