đź’¬ OT What are you working on today?!

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
made some stuff out of scrap.. i think im going to continue to do this crap [emoji38]

maybe get laid more often.

IMG_20200115_153350.jpeg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Working on getting my lab environments set up. I luckily still had some Cisco Firmware that was by stroke of luck compatible with the switches I just got off evilbay. I even had the nice really advanced IP Services firmware too which is all the better. That means that I can do 4 or 5 different routing protocols via these switches. I also did a reset on one of the sonicwall appliances my buddy gave me. They apparently do OSPF and RIPV1/V2 so I have those to play with too which is awesome.

I also got my server installed with GNS3 which should get me a step closer. She's pretty beefy got 144G of RAM which means I can probably set a bunch of virtual routers up on it when the time comes. At work I got the two servers installed for the lab and the one connected to an upstream port so I can jump in on it as needed. Just gotta get network engineering to do their part.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Absolutely not, I wish, my contract is romeoville/bolingbrook,
and I pick up some special needs stuff once in awhile in burr ridge and other western suburbs.
I tried to get the southern district contract and couldn't :(

I have a bunch of work surrounding O'hare, but have been so busy, I had to give it all away.

Romeoville & O'hare areas are getting that new commercial powered internet to the home,
that's what I do.
I install, activate & certify the new equipment that powers the new 1.2 gig service.
Another company then brings it to your homes.

That big white housing converts the laser to RF for your TV channels,
and has a mini laser to send & receive your phone & internet back & forth with Comcasts headend.

Just 2 little pieces of glass now carries zillions of bits of data so all of you can watch TV and use phone/internet at the same time with out the slow down you used to get.

This is the fibers. Some one on another forum asked how big a fiber in the fiber cables is and I said you can't even see the fiber,
they have to put the ends on for me & I just plug and play.
TimePhoto_20191120_082309.jpg

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Surprised they're still using SC glass. Guessing single mode. In terms of the thickness it's probably 50 or 62.5 microns. Shit's tiny like you said.

You use premade glass or do you terminate your own. Always wanted to try it but the buy in's flat out not worth it unless you're doing a fuck ton and have some very custom needs. Otherwise it's just way better to buy shit like patch cables.

What's a pain in the ass about single mode is the light isn't visible spectrum so it makes it a pain in the ass to detect stuff like flipped pairs.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Just got off the kickoff meeting for our new backup system. Networking on this thing is gonna be a fuckin riot. Apparently infosec keeps changing their mind about encryption on our IDC links. My boss seems to think we're going to push this bitch across the existing inter-data-center link and I'm just like "yeah, sure you keep telling yourself that."

• Haha
Reactions: MrDragster1970

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

I know nothing about fiber other than we use 1.25 & 2.50 mm connectors, so I have to buy both size cleaners.
When I get there every thing is spliced and connectors installed.
As said, it would be $1000 of dollars to set up a fiber splicing kit.
I was retired for 9 years, so I'm just getting back into the modern plant builds and learning as fast as possible.
I was a coax guy for 20 plus years, never dealt with anything fiber before this new contract.

The system we use is channelized, so not only can they pass all that data per fiber,
they can also mux multiple lasers per each fiber using an addressable SFP.
The capacity per common is mind blowing!!

We track fibers by transmitting test tones on my fancy ass $8000 meter on multiple fregs.
Makes it easy to trace and you can check responses verifying clean splices, muxes & splitters.
We are having an issue this week with 2 locations failing certification, it was a bad optical splitter,
the fiber company lied about replacing it and Comcast sent me out there 4 times because he lied about fixing it!!

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012

I know nothing about fiber other than we use 1.25 & 2.50 mm connectors, so I have to buy both size cleaners.
When I get there every thing is spliced and connectors installed.
As said, it would be $1000 of dollars to set up a fiber splicing kit.
I was retired for 9 years, so I'm just getting back into the modern plant builds and learning as fast as possible.
I was a coax guy for 20 plus years, never dealt with anything fiber before this new contract.

The system we use is channelized, so not only can they pass all that data per fiber,
they can also mux multiple lasers per each fiber using an addressable SFP.
The capacity per common is mind blowing!!

We track fibers by transmitting test tones on my fancy ass $8000 meter on multiple fregs.
Makes it easy to trace and you can check responses verifying clean splices, muxes & splitters.
We are having an issue this week with 2 locations failing certification, it was a bad optical splitter,
the fiber company lied about replacing it and Comcast sent me out there 4 times because he lied about fixing it!!

The multiplexing is badass. I bet you're going above 10 gigabit at this point maybe 25, 40, 100 or possibly above that even. It's damn mind blowing coming from the era of 56K modems.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area
The multiplexing is badass. I bet you're going above 10 gigabit at this point maybe 25, 40, 100 or possibly above that even. It's damn mind blowing coming from the era of 56K modems.

Way above my pay grade, but 1000's of customers all watching TV, using phones & internet on 2 tiny ass fibers is definitely mind blowing.
With the compression now a days, channelized stacking I couldn't even guess how much data is flowing through.
I go with zillions when asked.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Pulled the heads off the Subaru and found the culprit. Also pushed the carcass outside so I can clean up underneath. Stupid autos and their torque converters. Thing came half out when I pulled it last week and dumped trans fluid everywhere. Bucket of sand later and it’s all cleaned up now. Need to get new valves and seats put in then slap it back together.
B4EE46FD-2A9B-43D4-B16A-637CC9F79422.jpeg

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Yep. Threw cam/crank correlation, and both bank cam retarded and advanced codes. Check the tensioner piston, caught it before the chain stretched and piston and valves met each other. Our first timing chain job on a 3.5 ecoboost. Have prob around a dozen of first gen EcoBoosts, i am very aware of these engines and timing chain issues, i got the parts off the TSB ford has on it. But this is the first one to have that issue for us. This one has 170k on it, i should check hours, probably insanely high. Guy uses it everyday.

You dont do a lot cam jobs on 03-06 emission DT and maxxjunk 07-09s?
:eek:

Yea we don't mess much with timing components unless VW.

That a ecoboost?

Reactions: DEEZUZ

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Man, i have done so many of those junks. Love the fix, double up the dog bones! Under warranty international wanted us to reuse the oil filter, and also not reseal the inner cover after detorqueing the through bolts on the inner cover. Like a 50/50 whether that thing came back with an inner cover leak in 6 months. Good part of working fleet. I yank the counter gears and replace inner and outer covers and oil pan every time.

First ecoboost I've done. Not horrible so far. Lots of busy work disassembly to get down to the front cover and valve cover off, but not terrible. I'll be hungover tomorrow changing the guides chains and tensionsers [emoji21]
Nope. Only DT I ever found with broken dog bones went to IH dealer for entirely new engine....

I'm happy to see you have aton of experience with EB timing... Might have to hit you up if I ever pull the trigger on a sho

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Thread Info