What’s this noise on my TA?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Well, I take back the conditions of reverse. That seems to be a different noise coming from the rear when under load and both rear tires spinning backward. It’s more of a deeper slow door creaking growl.

Cool.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
A U-joint wouldn't necessarily squeal like that. It's bore more of a squeaking as the shaft rotates and obviously pick up in cadence as rpm's increased. You also might (most likely), get a vibration at moderate speeds. I just went through this on the Suburban.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
[MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] hows the diff fluid look?
is it possible that the carrier bearings just shit the bed and that noise is resonating through the driveshaft to the tail?

i talked with Carl here at redline powertrain and he said he has never seen a case or tail bushing cause a noise like that

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
[MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] hows the diff fluid look?
is it possible that the carrier bearings just shit the bed and that noise is resonating through the driveshaft to the tail?

i talked with Carl here at redline powertrain and he said he has never seen a case or tail bushing cause a noise like that

I changed it before TCG Tour 2016 using GM LSD additive, so like 5,000 miles ago.

Hmm, carrier bearing. Could be a possibility. I swear the noise is coming from the tail shaft area, but acoustics are weird under there, especially when it’s up in the air on the ground.

Marty installed the gears at your shop back in 2011, and you ordered the gears and master install kit for me. It’s only been about 12-15,000 miles, so maybe not the carrier unless something else has worn it out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info