GM What’s this noise on my TA?

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Output shaft bearing? U-joint? This was in the air, in neutral, turning one wheel forward. However, on the ground I only hear it when it’s reversing, and when cold. Noise goes away when it’s hot and in drive.

https://youtu.be/kW4gLxLDZuM

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
The way the sound isn't consistent with the speed of it turning but very consistent with the U-Joint makes me think that's what it is, but I am no Fbody whiz.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Well, I take back the conditions of reverse. That seems to be a different noise coming from the rear when under load and both rear tires spinning backward. It’s more of a deeper slow door creaking growl.

Cool.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a t56 swap

lastls1

Reaction score
Noises like that are never normal. And they all do not make noise. My car never made any noises like that prior to it’s th400 swap. I would go with the first link you mentioned.

How are the driveline angles as well? Is the car lowered or anything?

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Lowered, adjustable torque arm, pinion angle set to -2 degrees I believe.

lastls1

Reaction score
Yea I would look into the tailshaft area as mentioned on ls1 tech.

lastls1

Reaction score
They mentioned it may be a tail shaft bushing. Replace that along with the tail shaft.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
A U-joint wouldn't necessarily squeal like that. It's bore more of a squeaking as the shaft rotates and obviously pick up in cadence as rpm's increased. You also might (most likely), get a vibration at moderate speeds. I just went through this on the Suburban.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
[MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] hows the diff fluid look?
is it possible that the carrier bearings just shit the bed and that noise is resonating through the driveshaft to the tail?

i talked with Carl here at redline powertrain and he said he has never seen a case or tail bushing cause a noise like that

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] hows the diff fluid look?
is it possible that the carrier bearings just shit the bed and that noise is resonating through the driveshaft to the tail?

i talked with Carl here at redline powertrain and he said he has never seen a case or tail bushing cause a noise like that

I changed it before TCG Tour 2016 using GM LSD additive, so like 5,000 miles ago.

Hmm, carrier bearing. Could be a possibility. I swear the noise is coming from the tail shaft area, but acoustics are weird under there, especially when it’s up in the air on the ground.

Marty installed the gears at your shop back in 2011, and you ordered the gears and master install kit for me. It’s only been about 12-15,000 miles, so maybe not the carrier unless something else has worn it out.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
its a possibility 10 bolts make noise. my 3.42 axle i had in my formula was a noisy son of a bitch. but it never broke... soo something to keep in mind.

lastls1

Reaction score
Unbolt the shaft from the rear end and spin it. If the noise is still there that rules out the differential.

If it’s gone, take the cover off the diff and check the wear.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
the problem with the 10bolts is the cases have so much flex to them. the pinion will literally try to walk away from the ring gear

lastls1

Reaction score
Agreed. Could be setup right one moment and a few good launches in its out of wack.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
Agreed. Could be setup right one moment and a few good launches in its out of wack.
no idea how some guys have gone bottom 10s with a STOCK lsd 10 bolt while sprayin the world at them right out of the gate lmao..

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
Donating Member
Reaction score
the 1st LS1tech thread did not have many posts, the OP never followed up.
The sound that Bru's car is making, to me, is exactly like the video in the thread.

good luck figuring it out Bru !

lastls1

Reaction score
no idea how some guys have gone bottom 10s with a STOCK lsd 10 bolt while sprayin the world at them right out of the gate lmao..

Eh sometimes stock is best stock is fastest lol. My 10 bolt is sitting in my garage. Zero issues with it no noises. I’ve gone 11s cutting 1.4 60 fts on it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom