Site Sponsor Wet sanding v. Barney's front bumper

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
The body shop did not want to wet sand the bumpers off of the car. So since there is minor orange peel and a few dirt nibs, I figured I would do it.
There's no need to leave the car somewhere for a day to have this done.

I started with the recessed grill area. To be honest, I used this as a test area to figure out how aggressive to go with the sand paper. 1500 grit, 2000 grit and 3000 grit. Next was polisher / pad / compound combinations.
The goal was to cut and finish the recessed area 100% then apply the coating. The grill has been waiting to be reinstalled for 2 months.
The Rupes Nano iBrid in rotary mode + the extension came in handy to reach the upper section of the recessed area. Word has it that MF cutting pads should not be used on rotary machines. So staying true to form, I used the old style blue foam cutting pads that come with the Nano kit. 1.25" + Menzerna FG400. The PC 7424XP + 3" Lake Country MF cutting pad was used to address the larger sections ( recessed area only ).
After 2 cutting passes, Rupes yellow polishing pads + Sonax Perfect finish was used on both machines to refine the cutting stage.

I was down to the last section of 2000 grit paper so I decided the rest of the bumper would be okay with 2500 + 3000 grit.
The Nano iBrid got a workout, switching out cordless batteries and using the AC power adapter. I ran into some concerns with some of the sanding scratches not polishing out. It's possible that I did not sand enough with the 3000 grit but the combinations I was using should remove 2500 grit. I decided to adjust the the combos.
I used the Nano with the blue cutting pads and FG400 for a lot of the edge work.
I swapped the counterweight to the 12mm random orbit head, used a 1.5" LC MF cutting pad and Griot's Fast correcting cream. I saw better results with the FCC and a LC MF cutting pad on the PC as well.
For the top / front center section of the bumper, I did not mess around, went straight to the Rupes LHR 15 Mark II / Rupes blue wool cutting pad and the FCC.

All cutting took multiple passes. Polish, wipe residue, check my work and move on. The balance of the bumper was polished with a 3" Rupes medium wool pad and Menzerna 2400.
The thought process here is to have the bumper ready for a decon wash and final polishing before applying the coating.

The entire bumper was wiped down with CarPro Eraser. The recessed area received CQuartz UK 3.0
The grill was powdercoated satin black, also received UK 3.0
The rest of the bumper received a wipe down with bead maker. Again, this is minimal, temporary protection until the balance of the car is polished and coated.

Had enough ? TLDR ? Sure, pictures:

Before, Orange peel
1703450225426.png

1500 grit
X2R8OLj.jpg

I did not take a picture after 2000, so this is after 3000 grit
VsMioLD.jpg

Compounded, slight haze / holograms visible right above the light reflection
YBFOh8E.jpg

Overcast, natural lighting
eZ8KmZy.jpg

More sanding, can you spot the dirt nib ?
RTPu2iH.jpg

Polishing @ the recessed area is complete,
k2zSYsv.jpg

F71vKEC.jpg

q5UJGBH.jpg

2500 + 3000 grit
FOORmxv.jpg

Haze from compounding
bSLMDSK.jpg

Some dirt nibs were still apparent, so 1500, 2000, 3000
UTbDXy6.jpg

Haze from the Nano's rotary mode
phuuq1g.jpg

After medium wool pad and 2400
O7kINJZ.jpg

Ready for coating
tdNErPl.jpg

Coated, natural lighting
OqW7bfd.jpg

rkPmO93.jpg

Barney gets his teeth back
uL8OJqr.jpg

gIu7Vtg.jpg

RAVHqmq.jpg

Is the bumper 100% concourse smooth ? No, there's no point to having a perfectly smooth bumper when the rest of the car has a level of orange peel ( as most cars do ). It serves a purpose.
Dreading doing the rear bumper :rolleyes:

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
It blows my mind how you can go from 1500 grit roughed up finish to that amazing gloss. Just incredible.

I haven’t tried Griots FCC, but have used the correcting cream in place of their regular compound, and their perfecting cream in place of their polish, and have been really happy with both.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Very nice Gav. I want to try my hand at wet sanding, but insanely nervous to do so.
Great job as always!
Even when I detailed at Carmax for a minute, I was never comfortable wetsanding. I did it s few times and what they had at CM was shit (polishers, pads and compounds) so it never really looked great when I did it.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Awesome job Gav, bumper came out great!

Thanks Jim !

Dude thats fantastic.
Thank you !

It blows my mind how you can go from 1500 grit roughed up finish to that amazing gloss. Just incredible.

I haven’t tried Griots FCC, but have used the correcting cream in place of their regular compound, and their perfecting cream in place of their polish, and have been really happy with both.

After watching the Lake country mfg video, 1500 needs 2000 to refine the scratches. From there, rotary + wool can be used or refine the scratches even more with 3000 ( followed by 5000 if you wanted ).
I have had mixed results with the FCC. The FG400 is my go to compound but having the FCC just in case for some situations helps. It can be a bit "sticky" to work with especially on MF pads.

Very nice Gav. I want to try my hand at wet sanding, but insanely nervous to do so.

Test panel for piece of mind. I don't have any formal training, a fair amount of videos have provided the general idea.

Great job as always!
Even when I detailed at Carmax for a minute, I was never comfortable wetsanding. I did it s few times and what they had at CM was shit (polishers, pads and compounds) so it never really looked great when I did it.

thank you. Did they have an on site body shop ? Sounds like a rough gig. It would be hard having knowledge of better tools for the trade and being instructed to use what was provided.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Yeah, they did have an onsite body shop, I burned the paint on the bumper of a BMW when I worked there, my rotary + wool skills were not great coming from the DA world.

I only lasted 2-3 months there, it was not the type of detailing that I did when I was doing side jobs detailing. It was all about quantity at Carmax. Get them done ASAP and do as many as possible. It really sucked.

Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info