Went to Gingerman with Xsecsomeday. Pfft...EVOs...

B serious

Regular
Jan 18, 2009
ILLNOISE
LOL @ your legality worries.

I would agree that there's stuff to hit and risks of damaging your car at ANY track. I will, however, say that there are one or two corners at autobahn where there is no coming back from.

On the flip side, I will stress that YOU are the one driving your car...so if a danger is made evident, you should probably hold back a bit. Knowing how to control the car obviously comes in handy as well. It seems like everyone's Michael Schumacher and everyone' "KNOWS THEIR LIMITS" before the eat a wall. There are going to be outside factors that you may not forsee. There are also several other people on the track that you have no control over. The best solutions are either to buy a car that you don't mind wrecking...or to drive conservatively. You really shouldn't be balls to the wall at any track in a car that you actually care about. I hold back quite a bit in either one of my cars.

I think Xsecsomeday's point is that you have to hold back less at fewer corners at Gingerman.

It does need to be engrained and accepted that one day, eventually, you will wreck your shit. Everyone needs to accept that fact. Not because it will necessarily ever happen...but it's always good to be mentally prepared. If I wreck at at a track, it won't ruin my day. It might ruin my 10 mins or so. I'm speaking from experience. It's an accepted fact of tracking a car.

Loosen up about wrecking. How many actual WRECKS do you see at HPDEs? You're probably not going to wreck. BUT...keep in mind and ACCEPT that you might.

To embody what I'm trying to get across: I don't keep my cars under lock and key and NEVER drive them because there's a small chance they might get stolen. I am, however, accepting of the fact that if I put the car in a certain situation, and it gets stolen...I will have to move on from there. I will use common sense to try and make sure it won't get stolen.

The fun thing about Gingerman is that there are less places to really badly mess your car up. Corner 11 clockwise is really the most common source of eating it. And most people get stopped by the sand pit before the wall.

If you happen to oversteer at...say...T3 clockwise at Autobahn full course....there's probably no coming back from that. Say hi to that wall. Been there. That's why I hold back at T3 in my street cars.

I'm sure I could pick up a few seconds going balls to the wall. But nobody's giving me any trophies or paying for my wreck. So...finna go slow...for now. Although....I did recently buy a $250 car to turn into a race car. Only problem is that it's not a Honda :(. I see that project stalling.

Cliffs: Use common sense. Don't wreck.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
I saw the aftermath of one wreck, and was in one.

The first was at Waterford Hills last year. Cocky guy in his 350z that he recently got and brought to the SHO Convention, instead of his SHO. Came onto the main straight and got a little loose, hit the curbing with the rear tire and lost it. Ended up going head first into the wall. He tried calling his insurance and telling them he was in a traffic accident at such and such intersection. The company immediatly told him that there was a track there, and he was racing his car.

The one I was in was at Autobahn last August. I had gone out in my second to last section and came out of the last turn before pit-in on the full course too hot. I hit the curb/rumble strip and my fuel inertia switch tripped and I was dead in the water. I coasted in front of the corner worker and eventually just started my car and went into the paddock.

I then got into a E36 M3 that was completely prepped in the advance group. The driver was asking me to start his GPS lap timer when we crossed the start/finish line. Okay, no big deal. I want to say its turn 5 on the full course, on the turn out, it looks like there should be curbing, but its just dirt. He came out and dropped the right side into the dirt. Now, most people who pay attention to the drivers meeting, would just get off line and slow down and make sure the car is alright. This guy got right back on it, we fish tail-ed a little then went straight into the tire wall, at probably 50-60 mph. It wasn't cool, but it couldn't have happened in a better car. I dont know if he was trying to show off to me, or get a lap time or both, but it was a stupid mistake, and the more I thought about it, the more it bothered me.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I was merely making the point of at Gingerman, you can really go nuts and not have to worry save for turn 11. At Autobahn, it's like you're on the highway and normally youll go 110-120 for a quick rip and slam on the brakes cause there might be a cop, but gingerman, you can go 110-120 for a while (tell me that wouldn't be fun) cause you know there aren't any cops. Idk, weak point, but in my honest opinion that reason and that reason only, I think Gingerman is a lot more fun. Tracks should have tons of runoff for weekend drivers to make a mistake without hitting something. It's still a TON of fun to go around any track, but a little better when there's less to worry about. :dunno:

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
You can wreck your car at Gingerman too. Some insurance companies will cover the vehicle if its not a timed event (HPDE).

i heard allstate would cover you then drop you - that was a while ago though. i'm under the impression that no one will cover you at an HPDE. nor an autox. (outside of specialty 1 day at a time insurance)

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
:ford:
I was merely making the point of at Gingerman, you can really go nuts and not have to worry save for turn 11. At Autobahn, it's like you're on the highway and normally youll go 110-120 for a quick rip and slam on the brakes cause there might be a cop, but gingerman, you can go 110-120 for a while (tell me that wouldn't be fun) cause you know there aren't any cops. Idk, weak point, but in my honest opinion that reason and that reason only, I think Gingerman is a lot more fun. Tracks should have tons of runoff for weekend drivers to make a mistake without hitting something. It's still a TON of fun to go around any track, but a little better when there's less to worry about. :dunno:

Autobahn does have a ton of runoff. Like I said, the SAME designer who is known for building safe tracks designed Autobahn and Gingerman. You are making it seem like Autobahn is a narrow track with walls all over the place like the Nurburgring.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i prefer south haven and the proximity of a gas station for gman. i have only run the old course and was happy with it, i didn't need more speed to shoot down the straight into the walled corner.

iirc the same guy designed gingerman and autobahn. i think gingerman is more narrow and was originally designed for bikes.

ab full > ab south > gman > ab north in terms of fun/challenge to drive IMHO

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
:ford:

Autobahn does have a ton of runoff. Like I said, the SAME designer who is known for building safe tracks designed Autobahn and Gingerman. You are making it seem like Autobahn is a narrow track with walls all over the place like the Nurburgring.

Lol nothing like that, but you'll argue even if I agreed with you. Still, you fail to see my very clear point.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Lol nothing like that, but you'll argue even if I agreed with you. Still, you fail to see my very clear point.

I just think it's a weak point. Racing even with all the safety precautions is inherently dangerous. Case in point, last summer there was a death at a "test and tune" at Gingerman. I never read the cause but I remember reading that the guy hit a barrier.

Even if you had no walls/barriers at a track, there is still a risk of rolling. We've all see pictures and videos of it happening.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info