Welp RS is gone and replaced with??

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Picked up a 2017 Golf R in Onyx Pearl. You know holiday weekend good deals going on!!

So let me just say I am happy with my decision and no regrets. I have been looking at Rs before I bought the focus. And honestly I know these cars are both hot hatches. And the focus is more a drivers car for tracking. But the R just feels way more refined. And well the Focus was breaking my old back. :rofl:. And I really want a platform I can take well over 400HP+ without worrying to hard about blowing it up. The RS just is not the platform. I am sure [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] will approve. So I ask the GTI and R guys about mods. I hear a APR stage I really wakes this sucker up. But I do plan going much further then stage I. Not sure what the DSG is rated. And yes I wanted automatic.....

vw13G49.jpg

HnBqFcU.jpg

mbvrTY7.jpg

14Wz0E8.jpg

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Dat Oryx White. Congrats on the pick up. APR used to be the gold standard but since they got in financial trouble with their R8 race program and sold to a venture capital group their reviews have been reallll hit or miss. I'd look at GIAC, Unitronic or United Motorsports for a tune. Just know that a flash tune is detectable by the dealership even if flashed to stock. [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] has heard otherwise but I've yet to see confirmation of that online anywhere.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
You won't need a dsg tune until probably stage 2. It won't hurt but save yourself the cash.

I would look at everyone aside from APR. The more I read, the more they seem more about bragging peak numbers and less about usable under the curve, etc.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Congrats on the new ride! I recently went from 3 VW in a row to an ST, as I was getting bored with VW. I've had nothing but APR tunes on my car and have not had any issues, just good results. But there are, of course, happy owners with other tuners also. Just do your research, and pick whatever tuner you feel most comfortable with. And yes, VW/Audi can flag your car even with the tune removed. In some instances, it may be worth getting a tune from the actual VW dealer as they tend to be more lenient about the tune and warranty work.

APR Plus when done at a participating VW dealer includes a 5/60 powertrain warranty. They haven't expanded to all VW dealers at this time, though. APR Plus VW Tuning with a Warranty!

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
You won't need a dsg tune until probably stage 2. It won't hurt but save yourself the cash.

I would look at everyone aside from APR. The more I read, the more they seem more about bragging peak numbers and less about usable under the curve, etc.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. Who are some good tuner shops around GRD, AMS ? Anyone else for parts installs etc?

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Ok. Thanks for the advice. Who are some good tuner shops around GRD, AMS ? Anyone else for parts installs etc?

Komet Motorsport is a GIAC dealer. They worked on a couple MK6 big turbo build for a buddy when I was in the MK6 GTI scene. Same guy picked up a MK7 and they did a big turbo swap for him.

They are out in St Charles. Awesome guys.

Thread Info