Welp RS is gone and replaced with??

blueoval4life

Donating Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 2017 Golf R in Onyx Pearl. You know holiday weekend good deals going on!!

So let me just say I am happy with my decision and no regrets. I have been looking at Rs before I bought the focus. And honestly I know these cars are both hot hatches. And the focus is more a drivers car for tracking. But the R just feels way more refined. And well the Focus was breaking my old back. :rofl:. And I really want a platform I can take well over 400HP+ without worrying to hard about blowing it up. The RS just is not the platform. I am sure [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] will approve. So I ask the GTI and R guys about mods. I hear a APR stage I really wakes this sucker up. But I do plan going much further then stage I. Not sure what the DSG is rated. And yes I wanted automatic.....

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dat Oryx White. Congrats on the pick up. APR used to be the gold standard but since they got in financial trouble with their R8 race program and sold to a venture capital group their reviews have been reallll hit or miss. I'd look at GIAC, Unitronic or United Motorsports for a tune. Just know that a flash tune is detectable by the dealership even if flashed to stock. [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] has heard otherwise but I've yet to see confirmation of that online anywhere.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Congrats! White is right. I love mine so far. No regrets.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
[MENTION=12712]fastlax16[/MENTION]

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
You won't need a dsg tune until probably stage 2. It won't hurt but save yourself the cash.

I would look at everyone aside from APR. The more I read, the more they seem more about bragging peak numbers and less about usable under the curve, etc.

RedBeard

Formerly ScreamingMach46
Reaction score
Nice! The VW sure is a big step ahead of its competition as far as comfort and refinement.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Deng... Did not expect this, but seriously, that DSG is insane.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
My car is a non DCC car. Has nothing to do with LC. Just doesn't have the suspension modes.

Dan00Hawk

Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride! I recently went from 3 VW in a row to an ST, as I was getting bored with VW. I've had nothing but APR tunes on my car and have not had any issues, just good results. But there are, of course, happy owners with other tuners also. Just do your research, and pick whatever tuner you feel most comfortable with. And yes, VW/Audi can flag your car even with the tune removed. In some instances, it may be worth getting a tune from the actual VW dealer as they tend to be more lenient about the tune and warranty work.

APR Plus when done at a participating VW dealer includes a 5/60 powertrain warranty. They haven't expanded to all VW dealers at this time, though. APR Plus VW Tuning with a Warranty!

blueoval4life

Donating Member
Reaction score
You won't need a dsg tune until probably stage 2. It won't hurt but save yourself the cash.

I would look at everyone aside from APR. The more I read, the more they seem more about bragging peak numbers and less about usable under the curve, etc.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. Who are some good tuner shops around GRD, AMS ? Anyone else for parts installs etc?

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
No one does actual tuning I don't think. It's all flash loads. Tho, you can get Cobb for this now so I'm sure some tuners might jump on the custom stuff.

muskie

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the advice. Who are some good tuner shops around GRD, AMS ? Anyone else for parts installs etc?
Komet Motorsport is a GIAC dealer. They worked on a couple MK6 big turbo build for a buddy when I was in the MK6 GTI scene. Same guy picked up a MK7 and they did a big turbo swap for him.

They are out in St Charles. Awesome guys.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Ya. I've been taking mine to komet. Kurt is great.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
He's a swinger too.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Komet Motorsport is a GIAC dealer. They worked on a couple MK6 big turbo build for a buddy when I was in the MK6 GTI scene. Same guy picked up a MK7 and they did a big turbo swap for him.

They are out in St Charles. Awesome guys.
That Lamb guys car with the IS38 and JB4 stack?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom