Well my TV crapped out

Turtle

Reaction score
I had a old 2013 model 47in LG TV.

Looks like led went out, all I get is sound and the screen blinks grey once when I turn it on.

Google shows repair of led could cost $75 in parts.

Google also shows many budget 4k TV sets to be around $300-400. Or wait til blackfriday.

I'm more inclined to get a new one and repeat this cycle if needed. I don't watch fancy stuff, honestly most of my TV stuff is streamed off Hulu/Netflix/YouTube via my 4k Apple TV.

Has anyone actually done the repairs? Haven't YouTube the repair but I'm leaning on its worth it.

Anyone know the sweet spot of TV's currently? Seems I can easily get something to my liking for under $500. It will be a bedroom room TV. So sub 60 inches please, I have a Sony sound bar to pair it up with. What are the common gimmicks and features that are junk or good.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Vizio or TCL for bedroom TV.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
I've done repairs on a several TV's and depending on what you're replacing, it can be easy or a PITA. If the LED's on a TV are not working, it could be a power or controller issue. LED's usually don't go bad and certainly not all of them would go out.

With as cheap as TV's are these days, it might be easier to just get a new one. I'm a guy that will try to fix anything though, so I'd might try to repair it, if it were me.

Maybe get a new one and keep the old one around to tinker with.

Turtle

Reaction score
With as cheap as TV's are these days, it might be easier to just get a new one. I'm a guy that will try to fix anything though, so I'd might try to repair it, if it were me.

Maybe get a new one and keep the old one around to tinker with.

This had a 90% chance of happening. I'll buy and put this to the side for a little and when I have some time, I'll open and tweak around.

I stopped by bestbuy, that shit is overwhelming!!!! But nice to see some side by side to see the washed out color on some. Top 49tcl is last year model. Bottom one is 49tcl Roku 4k for $400 is this year's model. Clearly looked better.

379 for a 55inch is a little tempting. Not sure which year model is.

I didn't get a chance to peak into Vizio yet. But I think $450 will be my cap and looking for something 45-55 inch.

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
My Panasonic 58” plasma still going...2007 IIRC.

Trick is to find a used TV at least 5 years old. If they haven’t broken by then, they’ll last forever.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
I work with some people that have TCL's and they say they're nice TVs.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Id get a new 4k, picture is amazing.

Ive been waiting for my 55 Sharp Aquos LCD bought new in 2008 to die so i can upgrade. It just keeps on kicking.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
We have a 42 inch Sharp Aquos LCD in our lobby which has been running for 10 hours a day, every weekday for 11 years.

I wouldn't plan on yours dying any time soon!

Turtle

Reaction score
My Panasonic 58” plasma still going...2007 IIRC.

Trick is to find a used TV at least 5 years old. If they haven’t broken by then, they’ll last forever.

Yea. My Samsung and Vizio 32in LCD ones that should be near 10 years old is solid at my parents place.

Just surprised but not really that my 5 year old LG said no more.

I'll most likely keep an eye on the TCL. Black Friday isn't too far away, might wait it out.

Turtle

Reaction score
Anyone interested in my old 47 LG? Not smart and not 4k.

47LN5200. Has sound but no screen. Screen blinks, a YouTube video shows it to be LED repair for $50-60 eBay parts.

Let me know, come grab it. Northside of Chicago.

Just grabbed a 50 inch Samsung due to Black Friday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom