Well Maintained 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe for $3K?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
A friend of ours just bought a newer Santa Fe so she's selling her old one. It has been well maintained, has 125K miles and is a Florida car. She's asking $3K. Should I buy it for Amy's work car and a cargo hauler? Already has a trailer hitch, too, although it hasn't done much trailering. I'd sell Amy's Sable for a couple grand so it would cost a grand or so to switch cars.

Pluses: Well maintained. Just had water pump and timing gear replaced as maintenance. Has a lot more hauling capacity than a Sable. A/C works while Amy's doesn't so I would need to get that fixed if I keep the Sable.

Minuses: Costs $1K more. Need to sell Sable. It's a 13 y.o. Hyundai.

I told Amy she should borrow it for a couple days, drive it to work and see what she thinks. It's only a grand more than the Sable if she wants it and I'd be the one selling the Sable since she won't do it. This car will be used as her work car and for hauling large items, maybe pulling a trailer once in a while. We normally take my Caddy if we're going out. I like the idea of having a vehicle that can carry/trailer stuff since I'm in the middle of remodeling a bathroom now and it's a pain to keep borrowing a pick up.

I know this isn't a "big" decision but I'm curious as to what you guys think and it's a slow internet weekend so I posted this up.

Similar:

232501.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
These are nothing really to write home about; $3,000 doesn't really seem like any kind of deal IMO.

KBB says it's a $2,000 here in IL; and I'd be prone to agree. If it wasn't a Hyundai I'd say it could be worth the $1000 premium to be rust free.

Take a cruise through your local craigslist for things like CRV's/Rav4's instead. One of those with a less well known history may still treat you better than the Santa Fe, especially for similar money.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Amy drove it last night and really likes it. Happy wife and all that. It's only a $3K car. If I get a couple years out of it I'll be happy.

Probably won't bargain over a couple hundred because they're close friends and we do favors back and forth. I borrow their pick up all the time and they have a trailer I will be able to borrow with the hitch on the Santa Fe. Plus, they won't mind waiting for some of the cash until I sell Amy's Sable.

I appreciate the advice, guys. Thanks.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
$3k for a Florida car with lower miles and NO rust is a deal
I had one of these for 2 years or so. When it worked I LOVED it. I did have some stupid issues that nobody else in the world would have though. Like the crank position sensor went bad and got stuck and I tried to drill it out and it snapped a 3/8" drill bit. Took me 3 days of fighting with it in the snow and finally gave up and stuck my plasma cutter up there and blew it out! Mine also had a little hiccup in the trans. Nothing bad, still dead nuts reliable. I think it just needed to be reprogrammed. I sold it because I got a beater for cheap and needed the cash. I sold it to someone on this forum. Can't remember who
Anywho I've had a few Hyundais, this one, a sonata and just got another Santa Fe. I love them.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Amy drove it last night and really likes it. Happy wife and all that. It's only a $3K car. If I get a couple years out of it I'll be happy.

Probably won't bargain over a couple hundred because they're close friends and we do favors back and forth. I borrow their pick up all the time and they have a trailer I will be able to borrow with the hitch on the Santa Fe. Plus, they won't mind waiting for some of the cash until I sell Amy's Sable.

I appreciate the advice, guys. Thanks.

Happy Wife, Happy Life, No Question.

And I have a 98 Jeep in my garage for the same reason :bowrofl:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
We picked it up and Amy drove it home. I drove it to get dinner. It's not bad. Solid car for its age. Pulls just a little to the right so I'll get it aligned. Surprised my buddy's wife didn't notice this.

She put an aftermarket Kenwood stereo in with bluetooth. Nice bonus. Amy should be happy with it. I'll take some pics when the sun comes back out down here. Felt like Chicago weather today. Cloudy, drizzle and around 50*. That's really crappy for a Florida day. I hope none of you are vacationing down here this week. Wait a week and we should be back to around 80.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
No pics yet because the weather is crappy down here.

I forgot my buddy's wife is a smoker so I need to scrub the entire interior. Car rides great with a slight pull. Needs an alignment. I have been hauling wood in it for my bathroom remodel. Kenwood stereo kicks ass. I'm actually using the heated seats this week. Amy says it's a great car for driving to work. Puts her up high again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info