Weight Reduction

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
How much do you guys strip down your cars when you hit the track? Are you a spare tire and jack kinda guy, or yank everything but the steering wheel and sit on a milk crate?

For me it depends what kind of mood Im in. Ive gone as far as pulling the rear seat, passenger seat, tire and jack, trunk carpet, and speakers just because they're easy to take out.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I just took the subs out and rolled up to the track with a 1/4 tank of gas. Next time I'll probably yank the spare tire and jack. Oh yeah, I haven't put the subs back in, either, since October when I went to Byron ...

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
seats out, trunk empty, sometimes remove speakers (heavy ass infinitys), drop exhaust, and all the other little parts, odds, and ends that have been removed over the years to save weight here and there. Also usually run the lightest wheels/tires I can get my hands on in the rear rather than my 50lb 18s, and my slicks weigh less than 30 lbs a side.

I've never actually weighed the car as it sits going down the track, but I'd imagine it would be around 3400-3450 race weight.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Usually just a spare and jack kinda guy. However the regal didnt come with one since the previous owner didnt put it back in. So I just empty out all the loose stuff. I might try taking the seats out if it makes or breaks me.

lame...

actually i've thought of just throwing in a can of tire sealant like the GTO's have.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
why would you take stuff out of your car to see what it "could run"???? its not like you are gonna pull up next to somebody on the street, throw some revs, then stop and get out of the car and start unbolting things just so you can beat him

I dont race on the street, so i do care what my car can do on a track. There is a point where it becomes unreasonable to take things off and apart though. My car is a street car and daily driver but,if im at a RACE track, then I want to RACE my car as fast as possible.

You could say the same thing about any "track only" type of modification. Why run slicks at the track? Why run race gas and a different tune? Why spray N20? Why run a wheelie bar? Why change your suspension setup? Why run an open exhaust?

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
When i took the PT to the track i unbolted the passenger seat(4 bolts), took out the rears because they are designed to and took off the spare tire. I took all the shit out before hand and pretty much cleaned the car out. The front and rear bench alone probably saved 150lbs. Shaved a whole second in the 1/4 without all the shit in it.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Weight reduction is a cheap and easy way for gains. Lots of people do it. Lots also run slicks and skinnies for the track.

You mod to get every eek of power out of your car. Weight reduction also helps and is free.

panda thinks otherwise..

matt m... zooomer... mat talman.. ron vogel... every1 else who does it is all rice for taking out their seats

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info