Weight Reduction

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
How much do you guys strip down your cars when you hit the track? Are you a spare tire and jack kinda guy, or yank everything but the steering wheel and sit on a milk crate?

For me it depends what kind of mood Im in. Ive gone as far as pulling the rear seat, passenger seat, tire and jack, trunk carpet, and speakers just because they're easy to take out.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
i like to keep everything in the car. so i know what itll run on the streets.

CamaroSS

Banned
Reaction score
about the only thing i will drop at the track will be back seats hopefully, but thats cause i want to get rid of them anyways since they arent practical to sit in anyways, so may as well lose the weight. spare and jack are outta the car from day one

udluuz

Joe Schmo built
Reaction score
Passenger seat, spare and jack. I was thinking about the tank brace, but it doesnt look all that heavy.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
back seat, spare, sub box. That's about it. I ran the car once without the passenger seat but i drove like that for a week anyways because i was fixing the heated seat element at the time.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I just took the subs out and rolled up to the track with a 1/4 tank of gas. Next time I'll probably yank the spare tire and jack. Oh yeah, I haven't put the subs back in, either, since October when I went to Byron ...

[email protected]

Somebody buy this thing
Reaction score
seats out, trunk empty, sometimes remove speakers (heavy ass infinitys), drop exhaust, and all the other little parts, odds, and ends that have been removed over the years to save weight here and there. Also usually run the lightest wheels/tires I can get my hands on in the rear rather than my 50lb 18s, and my slicks weigh less than 30 lbs a side.

I've never actually weighed the car as it sits going down the track, but I'd imagine it would be around 3400-3450 race weight.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
I usually run without a backseat all summer long. stupid GP's dont have a fold down rear seat so i cant fit my bicycle in the trunk with it in. i leave everything else in.

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
Usually just a spare and jack kinda guy. However the regal didnt come with one since the previous owner didnt put it back in. So I just empty out all the loose stuff. I might try taking the seats out if it makes or breaks me.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Usually just a spare and jack kinda guy. However the regal didnt come with one since the previous owner didnt put it back in. So I just empty out all the loose stuff. I might try taking the seats out if it makes or breaks me.

lame...

actually i've thought of just throwing in a can of tire sealant like the GTO's have.

PANDA

Reaction score
I run it exactly how I drive it everyday.

Stink Star Productions

Don’t Drive Angry!
Reaction score
why would you take stuff out of your car to see what it "could run"???? its not like you are gonna pull up next to somebody on the street, throw some revs, then stop and get out of the car and start unbolting things just so you can beat him

Fish

Donating Member
Reaction score
Why bother running slicks and or skinnies?? Shit, why bother modding your car?

Fish

Donating Member
Reaction score
Weight reduction is a cheap and easy way for gains. Lots of people do it. Lots also run slicks and skinnies for the track.

You mod to get every eek of power out of your car. Weight reduction also helps and is free.

OP
OffshoreDrilling

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
why would you take stuff out of your car to see what it "could run"???? its not like you are gonna pull up next to somebody on the street, throw some revs, then stop and get out of the car and start unbolting things just so you can beat him
I dont race on the street, so i do care what my car can do on a track. There is a point where it becomes unreasonable to take things off and apart though. My car is a street car and daily driver but,if im at a RACE track, then I want to RACE my car as fast as possible.

You could say the same thing about any "track only" type of modification. Why run slicks at the track? Why run race gas and a different tune? Why spray N20? Why run a wheelie bar? Why change your suspension setup? Why run an open exhaust?

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Reaction score
When i took the PT to the track i unbolted the passenger seat(4 bolts), took out the rears because they are designed to and took off the spare tire. I took all the shit out before hand and pretty much cleaned the car out. The front and rear bench alone probably saved 150lbs. Shaved a whole second in the 1/4 without all the shit in it.

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
Weight reduction is a cheap and easy way for gains. Lots of people do it. Lots also run slicks and skinnies for the track.

You mod to get every eek of power out of your car. Weight reduction also helps and is free.
panda thinks otherwise..

matt m... zooomer... mat talman.. ron vogel... every1 else who does it is all rice for taking out their seats

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
well i would like to take lots of stuff out of my car... and see what it does because itd be easier to compare it to the quicker cars out there... but last time, i took my headlight out....

annnnnd put it in my backseat... spare tire, jack, sub, amps, seats, floor mats... yeah.

3800lb raceweight. woot.

OP
OffshoreDrilling

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
3800lbs FUCK! Did you fill your tires with cement or something?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
im 190. wheel/tire combo is like 63 lbs each... sub in custom ported box with one jl amp and one rockford fosgate... i had tools in my car too... and like almost a half a tank of gas...

i didnt plan too well at all...

i was jammin rolling up to the line though...

OP
OffshoreDrilling

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
63 pounds is heavy as hell. Just using stock wheels I bet you would drop two tenths, take out that other crap for another tenth or two.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
stock wheels have nokian winter special tires on em...

i'd like to hope i could drop a lil bit by taking shit out... cuz before my headers, tune, trans, and bigger pulley i rana 13.8... but without seats, stereo, floormats, sub, amps, blah blah blah bs. speculation.

Fish

Donating Member
Reaction score
panda thinks otherwise..

matt m... zooomer... mat talman.. ron vogel... every1 else who does it is all rice for taking out their seats
He couldnt break into the 13s with his TA. Id be a non track guy as well. :rofl:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom