• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Wayne's Car (indyridgerunner)

Oct 2, 2011
This car has 125k. And it has the most hillbillic Zex dry shot kit on it ive ever seen.

I had to order a Crank Position Sensor pigtail because the old owner broke it and had it cable tied in place.

I cant make this shit up!

Hillbillic. LMAO!!! I told you that you would probably find all kinds of Hillbilly Shit. I'm just glad you are finding them and getting them fixed right.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
OMG more dumb dumb shit found tonight.

Wayne provided a really nice set of 2 1/2" cat delete pipes he wanted put on. (they were on the car at a previous time with the old owner)
the mid pipes were also replaced (a great job btw) with 2 1/2" pipes to the Flowmaster mufflers.

Im thinking the factory cats will be bolted on with a flange, since I peered under the car and saw.....a flange!

Not. The cat pipe was welded TO THE flange. So I cut the pipe at the weld and spent a stupid amount of time grinding it down flat.
Then I notice the dumbest thing ever.

The exhaust shop used the factory 2 1/4 flange on the mid-pipes. OMG

Cat delete pipe:

100_3034.jpg

Flange on the mid-pipe:

100_3035.jpg

Sorry wayne, but I dont have the proper tools, nor an air compressor big enough to open up this hole.

On a side note, here is a pic of the transmission drain plugs i add to all cars I work on:

100_3037.jpg

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Holy shit the bad news has been delivered.
The drivers side cam siezed in the head, trashing the journals.....junk.
The other head needs all 16 guides.

I told Wayne its not smart to install new heads on this piece of shit shortblock (im assuming its crap)
If you wear all 32 guides out on a Mod Motor, chances are the other bearings are no good either.

Some touch decisions are ahead.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
This car was intended to be a daily driver with no performance stuff.

He got the car for a song, and I explained that after a new engine and labor, you could buy a running Marauder with similar mileage for the same price.....and know what the car needs when you buy it.

I could swap an engine and then find a host of other things wrong.

Guessing game...plain and simple.

justbob

Just a grandpa car with a vacuum leak.
Jan 23, 2010
Behind that famous burrito joint
Real Name
Bob
Reminds me of a time a friend and I came upon a stream with our quads. It was the perfect stream for screwing around and giving the quads a good beatdown! We had a BLAST! For about 10 minutes.... You see, we stirred something up, that's right, shit/poopoo/caca. It ended up being a sewer run off! We were already covered in this crap, ears, mouth, and so on. Did we stop? NOPE! Had a blast, went home and showered up and became a Plumber 15 years later banking the bucks.

I don't know the meaning of giving up, I would plop an engine in and call it a day.

Silverback

Oct 19, 2011
Another option is a rebuild of the existing short block. After reading and observing the pic's it would just as likely be that the pistons, rods, crank and block are viable candidates for a rebuild. Since the customer has to have both heads, they don't have to be new, just refurbished replacements, rebuilding his short block would seem to be more economical than a 5K new terminator bock.

Hey musclemerc you were posting the same time I was typing. Your suggestion is better, I think.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Another option is a rebuild of the existing short block. After reading and observing the pic's it would just as likely be that the pistons, rods, crank and block are viable candidates for a rebuild. Since the customer has to have both heads, they don't have to be new, just refurbished replacements, rebuilding his short block would seem to be more economical than a 5K new terminator bock.
It gets pricey real quick.

The car needs 2 heads and that alone is 600-800 before any machining services.
Then the shortblock machining, bearings and pistons: 1500-2000?

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
You guys are aware you can get a remaunfactured long block for $2300.00 complete with a warranty.

Indeed. Those engine rebuilders hog everything out .030 over (including sutting the crank) no matter what. So, if you ever wanted to do anything down the road, you cant.
Combine that with his old engine being apart with one definitely bad head....then I have to get paid to re-assemble it for the core....if they even accept it as a core.

Im pretty sure i found a replacement engine, fingers crossed.

Oct 2, 2011
Indeed. Those engine rebuilders hog everything out .030 over (including sutting the crank) no matter what. So, if you ever wanted to do anything down the road, you cant.
Combine that with his old engine being apart with one definitely bad head....then I have to get paid to re-assemble it for the core....if they even accept it as a core.

Im pretty sure i found a replacement engine, fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed? Hell I'll cross my nuts if it will help change the run of bad luck this car has encountered. Poor car. One way or another It will be road worthy again.

Oct 2, 2011
I might sell the motor out of my car, it has 42,000 miles on it.
You would have to give me a week or so to get it out though...don't know if that messes with Zack's timeline...

Correct me if I'm wrong Zack, but I don't believe that will effect his time line at all. My project is pushed out of the garage and other obligations will be worked on until mine gets back on track. Let me know what you're thinking on yours.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong Zack, but I don't believe that will effect his time line at all. My project is pushed out of the garage and other obligations will be worked on until mine gets back on track. Let me know what you're thinking on yours.

Let me PM Zack and talk a couple of things over with him and get back with you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info