Way to diagnose bad strut mount?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm getting this clunking from the rear passenger side and thought it was the exhaust. I started pushing up and down on the car while at ground level and the noise seemed to be coming from on top of the strut, and definitely not from the exhaust hitting anything.

Is there any way to more definitively narrow it down the strut mount, or should I just tear into it?

May 24, 2007
if you can check your springs. one might be cracked and starting to go. another thing to look at is your strut mount if at all possible. kinda hard in the rear but you should still be able to see it. look for cracks or anything abnormal. when you push down on the car does it rebound quickly and stop right away or does it seem to keep bouncing a little bit? if it does its your strut in which case id replace the strut and mounts.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I'm getting this clunking from the rear passenger side and thought it was the exhaust. I started pushing up and down on the car while at ground level and the noise seemed to be coming from on top of the strut, and definitely not from the exhaust hitting anything.

Is there any way to more definitively narrow it down the strut mount, or should I just tear into it?

remove strut mount covers inside the trunk/pull back carpeting, pick up hooker, put in trunk, drive down chicago streets, ask if she can see the strut shaft moving alot more than the other one, shaft her then send her to panda, soak mount bolts with PB blaster and then some thin oil, let soak for a couple days, repair both mounts (one went the others close behind)

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Thanks guys. These strut mounts were new in the spring of 08 when the Vogtland springs and AGX struts went in. Might have toasted one after hitting a big pothole.

The car levels off immediately after I push down on it.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
remove strut mount covers inside the trunk/pull back carpeting, pick up hooker, put in trunk, drive down chicago streets, ask if she can see the strut shaft moving alot more than the other one, shaft her then send her to panda, soak mount bolts with PB blaster and then some thin oil, let soak for a couple days, repair both mounts (one went the others close behind)

Schlim...you need to get more fresh air into that garage of yours. :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info