TV Watchmen [HBO Series]

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I had never heard of the Tulsa race riots or the "Black Wallstreet Street Massacre" until the episode came out. Then there was an article I read about it. Pretty scary time in our history for sure. Well worth a read into it. A riot that burned down like 30 blocks of homes and buildings in a wealthy black community, injured like 800 people and killed a number that was never confirmed, and included reports of planes dropping burning turpentine balls All because of a claim that a black man raped a white woman. Although she never pressed charges and police have no records of the account. Leading many to think it was more of a misunderstanding of what happened in the elevator between the two of them.

As far as the show goes, I think it is happening in our time. But it's like an alternative reality to ours. Just slightly different than what we know. I think that is why they show the electric cars, electric gun locks in squad cars, and other electric things we don't have in a world that looks similar to ours. Using a world that seems to have to tired to heal race relations but obviously not everyone is ok with that. Due in part to police actions at some point in their history.

Reactions: IDAFC21 and BS ISF

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
There are only 2 words that can describe this show.

tumblr_ndh4dzqoOI1r4gei2o1_400.gif

But I am enjoying this journey. They did reveal some more stuff that links to the watchmen universe that I actually understood tho. Which is nice.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I am a believer that watching the movie will benefit anyone before you start watching this series.

This. While this show is really not directly related to the movie, if I hadn't at least watched the movie, I would be COMPLETELY lost in this show right now. Instead of only mostly lost. :LOL:

Reactions: BS ISF

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I am a huge fan of the graphic novel and the movie. The basic idea of this show is that it follows the book, so slightly different than the movie (hence the squid monsters). It is current time as if the book was real and time kept moving on from there. I have seen the first 4 episodes, and still don't know what to think yet. Its good, but its almost worse because its "Watchmen" rather than just its own thing? It is well done, well acted, but it hasn't really grabbed me yet. I almost feel like there are too many story lines going at once, none of which I really care about at all. I will stick it out, at least though the season. I may also rewatch them now that I know what the basic premise is. I can say that the first episode I was expecting it to be much more "Watchmen" since I didn't read anything about it going in.

Sean

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info