• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Wash the Engine

sweetness

Reaction score
I was curious. At those D.I.Y. drive up car washes there is always a setting "tire/Engine cleaner." Is that really safe to be spraying that stuff on the engine. i would be bagging the pcm if i did it, but I was hoping that it would make an easy way to wash all the grim and oil off of my engine block before showing it to a potential buyer. Any experience with these things? this setting isn't really a powerwash because the pressure is lower, but i am just wondering if there is anything that i should avoid getting wet.

BC

BumpinGTP

Reaction score
most people have said just to cover up the fuse box and keep it on the low pressure with the motor running, i did it with a garden hose, it didnt really work (no soap), but i had no bad things happen with the motor afterwards

Royalgtp

Reaction score
yeah, fredos got it.

I did the same and WOW.....looks damm good.

I just covered the ALT, BAT, and FUSE box....

Sparyed simple green on my hot engine....wiated to soak for like 10 minutes.

I used the hose on gentle in most spots, but some I turned it on FUll blast for a few. i was pretty far away though.

Just took while to dry it all after wards....all the water gets caught under the SC in all those gaps and around the injectors PITA......

sweetness

Reaction score
Thanks guys. i appreciate the help. Imma make that engine bay shine for the guy that i am selling the car too. :D couldn't help in the cause. Hopefully it will only 4 weeks or so before i get my Z28!! :D I am so damn excited.

Bc

I

imported_admin

I wash my engine all the time.. and I don't cover anything...

G

GTPLEE

Wash mine engine all the time leave the engine running and Simple green the hell out of it I usally cover my Thrasher CAI and thats it. The heat will dry your engine

I

imported_Ron Vogel

It's ok to get everything wet, just don't hit the important things with high pressure, ie: 02 sensor connector, coils, TPS, MAF. Everything else is fair game. I use a brass wire brush on the aluminum stuff with the simple green and it gets off the flaky white stuff real well.

BLK00GTP

Reaction score
Use a engine degreaser/ or Simple green. Cover electrical and rubber things with plastic. Let it dry...next get CD-2 (only place ive seen it at is Autozone). Its the best engine detailer and will leave your engine looking shiny and clean! Good Luck!

SnM

Reaction score
looks like I am giong to have to do this tomorrow......

my car decided it wanted to spray oil all over the engine bay!!! :eek: :angry:

sweetness

Reaction score
by next summer ill be smokin you :D

8 psi on a 4.11 rear end... low 11's Beat that :p

BC

SO EXCITED!

SnM

Reaction score
one of my oil supply lines to my by pass filter decided to move down and get sliced by the cv boot clamp! what a mess.....all fixed now and clean....even washed the outside of my car :eek:

i'll post pics of the mess in a little bit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom