Was the 4t65e/4t65e-hd limitation ever solved?

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
I sort of left the grandprix scene with my 97 gtp going bye bye, a little bit later the gm one inch chain came out and I saw some upgrades but I sort of lost touch. I thought that even with the now impossible to find one inch chain that the trans only held about 400 hp. Did the community ever figure out a way around it either with new parts or a different trans? I saw something about a gxp chain that is now the default chain. Was the diff ever fixed? (dating myself here but I remember talking to Mike Dye when he was designing the first lsd with clutches)

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I sort of left the grandprix scene with my 97 gtp going bye bye, a little bit later the gm one inch chain came out and I saw some upgrades but I sort of lost touch. I thought that even with the now impossible to find one inch chain that the trans only held about 400 hp. Did the community ever figure out a way around it either with new parts or a different trans? I saw something about a gxp chain that is now the default chain. Was the diff ever fixed? (dating myself here but I remember talking to Mike Dye when he was designing the first lsd with clutches)
ZZP sells a lot of bigger and harder parts (heheh) including a 7/8" chain, but the trans thing still seems like voodoo to me. I took the road less traveled by building up a longitudinal 3800 because of it. I've heard of people beating the living daylights out of 3.4" pulley cars for years with completely stock transmissions and without failures while other people were ending their racing seasons early because of grenading their freshly installed TEP units. It seems that regardless of what parts are used, the 4t65e will be extremely hit/miss.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
But like.... 95% of the other ones were broken and didn't have that same outcome. Also, you leave out all the of shit you took out of the car to make it lighter and all of the little things you did to make it last. Not a likely outcome, BUT something you can say happened and you had ZERO problems, so the usual 3800 response.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
But like.... 95% of the other ones were broken and didn't have that same outcome. Also, you leave out all the of shit you took out of the car to make it lighter and all of the little things you did to make it last. Not a likely outcome, BUT something you can say happened and you had ZERO problems, so the usual 3800 response.
Car was 3200# with me in it. So it was lighter, but still a feat. I don’t get it either

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I ran 11's on a bone stock transmission, and my car wasn't light. Keeping the shifts soft and using 15" slicks makes a big difference.

Op, the gxp chains seem to have helped a lot. The other upgrades have not really proved to be any stronger than stock, but there are people putting down over 600 whp with gxp chains.

Other than that, sonnex and other companies has come out with upgrades for the valve body that helps quite a bit. There is also a billet 3rd apply piston that tremendously helps 3rd gear.

Reactions: Kaeghl
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info