Wanted: Detail Shop Business Partner

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
I am working on a relaunch of my detailing business and I need a hungry, entrepreneurial business partner and detailer. This person will be responsible for operating the business on a daily basis, doing most of the detailing in the beginning, and keeping our service up to the highest possible level.

My Past:
For those of you that do not know, I started Perfect Auto Finish in 2007, grew it to full service hand carwash in a 9500sqft building, lost focus, and basically shut it down in 2012, downsized it to a part-time business. I still detail cars on the weekends and make $600-1200/month depending on how much I feel like working. I could easily do $2000+ if I had the time, space, and did a little advertising. I only rent work space out of another shop on the weekends and pay $200/month. Currently I am working full-time in the logistics industry and would continue doing so even once this business is up and running.

My Plan:
I want to find the right person to begin training, and plan reopening a full-time shop sometime in March or April. I figured out everything that did and didn't work when doing all this the first time, and have the knowledge to really set up an efficient detail business. I have all the equipment and $1500 in product left over from the shop, which I will list below. The ideal person would maybe have another part-time, or flexible full-time job until we get the biz really rolling again. Right now they would only need to be available Sat mornings for operational training. I also plan on rebranding the business with a new name and entity. PAF has some recognition, but I feel a fresh start is the way to go. I have a name in mind, but Im not set on it yet. The vision is to move beyond "typical" detailing and get into more cosmetic restoration and longer term automotive preservation and protection. I want to get into doing more permanent and semi-permanent paint protection coatings and undercoating, rust proofing, etc. I have zero interest in detailing vans and work trucks for bottom dollar prices. This new brand would be all about keeping focus on high-end, state-of-the-art detailing equipment and techniques. As I search for a partner and space I am also formulating a target market and marketing campaign to get us in front of our primary demographic.

I am in the process of looking for a new location in Roselle, IL 1500-2000sqft with proper drainage for under $1000/month. A 3 bay shop this size is really going to be the most efficient. I made more money in my small 1000sqft shop than I did in the large shop by far.

Your Responsibilities:
-Scheduling and planning all detail appointments
-Detailing up to 2 cars per day Mon-Fri
-Shop cleanliness and maintenance
-Assisting with promotions and events
-Daily reports to me on schedule, needs, etc
-Product Inventory
-Equipment maintenance

My Responsibilities:
-Accounting, Budgeting, and Financial Planning
-Product Ordering
-Promotions, Marketing, and Advertising
-Detailing some evenings and Saturdays
-General Business Operations:licensing, insurance, legal, etc
-Branding and website design and maintenance

Included equipment/assets:
Hotsy 1700 Series Cold Water Pressure washer - $5000 with accessories when new
Ambassador Minuteman Carpet Extractor - $1800 when new
Dewalt Buffer - $300
Porter Cable orbital - $100
MF towels, misc brushes, mitts, scrapers, etc -$500
Washer and dryer - $300
Shop Vac -$100
Heat guns and misc tools - $200
Product inventory - $1700

Equipment Needed:
Air Compressor: $700-1000
Steam Cleaner: $1000
New products and tools: $500

I am looking for $10,000 for a 49% share of the company and a salary. $8000 of that would go into the company, $2000 to myself. I will not be taking a salary, and the quarterly profits will be distributed between us at % we determine. I will pay myself for the details I do myself at night or weekends.

Keep in mind the value of my previous clientele. With just a few mailers and calls I can easily bring them up to $20k/year. 1 detailer doing 2 cars a day is capable of doing $125k of detail revenue per year based on my old pricing. Add a marketing campaign to the mix and I could see us easily hitting $70k in 2015.

Of course all this is negotiable and I am up for any ideas from anyone interested. If you or someone you know may be interested in doing this let me know. Post up here or shoot me a pm and we can setup a meeting to discuss the details.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Yeah it would be tough for anyone with a typical full-time job. Someone needs to answer the phone when customers call during the day, and I can't really do it effectively at my current job. The thing is, once I commit to a location and increase my overhead I need to have someone dedicated and available to detail mon-fri.

If you think its something you could make work we can set a meet at a fine local drinking establishment.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info