Want to buy snowmobiles

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
K

[MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3061]Lead Pipe[/MENTION]
Post up the trails where you can, I'd really like to see where and how many since you say that there is a lot of them...

Hmmmm, doesn't seem very rare.

https://www.douglascountywi.org/470/Winter-SnowmobileATV-Rec-Trail-System

Douglas County has over 300 miles of groomed snowmobile and winter ATV trails.

Winter ATV
The Nicolet and Wolf River State Trails are both active snowmobile trails, groomed and maintained by local snowmobile clubs. ATVs can ride the trails with no temperature restrictions. These trails are closed for ATV riding when the snowmobile trails close until posted open again, so they can be used during deer season. Please be courteous to the snowmobile users and trail groomers and ride with caution.

https://www.ironcountyforest.org/atv-utv-trails.html
The Iron County Forestry Department works with the Iron County ATV Association and Mercer Dusty Loons maintaining 118 miles of year-round ATV trails.

https://sawyercountyalliance.com/sawyer-county-snowmobile-atv-trail-maps/

Here is Hayward. Notice all the green and red overlapped trails. No one is saying ATV's can ride on all snowmobile trails. More an more trails that used to be snowmobile only trails are being opened up for multi-use. About the ones that aren't are trails on private property that are either grass or crops on the summer. In the summer ATV routes along roads are opening to bypass those trails.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
a bigger snippet on forest county.

Winter ATV

When the snow falls and the snowmobile trails open, that doesn’t mean the ATV/UTVs (ATV) need to be put away. Forest County allows ATVs winter riding on some trails. The Nicolet State Trail, Wolf River State Trail, and the Forest County Public ATV Trail are all open to ATVs/UTVs in the winter.

The Nicolet and Wolf River State Trails are both active snowmobile trails, groomed and maintained by local snowmobile clubs. ATVs can ride the trails with no temperature restrictions. These trails are closed for ATV riding when the snowmobile trails close until posted open again, so they can be used during deer season. Please be courteous to the snowmobile users and trail groomers and ride with caution.

The Forest County Public ATV Trail can be used for ATV riding but, it is not groomed. A portion is used as snowmobile trail but ATVs are not allowed beyond the designated ATV trail system. Signs indicating No ATVs are posted at these locations.

ATVS are not allowed on any other snowmobile trails in Forest County. Trails leading off of the Nicolet and Wolf River State Trails are illegal for ATV riding. It is your responsibility to know the trail limits. For more information on ATV trails in Forest County please visit our ATV page. A map is available with these ATV trails and all the routes on it. The map is produced by the Forest County ATV Association and are available from the Forestry & Parks office.

some on dodge county:

https://www.co.dodge.wi.gov/governm...arks/parks-and-trails/atv-all-terrain-vehicle

Dodge County’s Winter Only ATV Trail System consists of 20 miles of publicly funded trail located on the Wild Goose State Trail from Hwy 60 to Hwy 49 in Dodge County. ATVs are not permitted on the Wild Goose State Trail in Fond du Lac County. The Wild Goose State Trail (a former railroad corridor) is a multi-use trail providing non-motorized recreation opportunities year round and snowmobile and ATV recreation in the winter months (when conditions permit trail opening).

Tuscobia county:

ATVs are allowed year-round on the trail, except during hunting seasons from November 15 to December 15.

Burnett County:

ATV Trails

Burnett County has 56 miles of Summer ATV/UTV trails; 87 miles of Frozen Ground ATV/UTV trails; and 130 miles of Winter ATV/UTV trails. Additional miles of ATV/UTV routes provide connections to some of our neighboring counties.

All ATVs/UTVs must be registered or licensed.

ATVs/UTVs are not allowed on the Gandy Dancer Trail except from December 1st through March 31st once trails are officially open. For trail conditions, please follow the link below.

and of course more...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
if you wanted to mow down any sort of mileage though, a atv or utv would be the last thing id want to be in on the snow on a snowmobile trail.

200 miles is totally doable on a sled in a day, i don't think you could comfortably or willingly pull that off on an atv or a sxs in the snow. sleds just work so much better in any measurable amount of snow.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
More and more is stretch though, those are just connecting routes to one another... again it's rare ATV's/UTV's is growing and have their own trails but will not be taking over/joining snowmobilers trails anytime soon.

dude we just posted several links where atvs and utvs are allowed on the same trails as snowmobiles.

you're also drunk to think that atv's/utv usage in wisconsin isn't growing by this statement.

again it's rare ATV's/UTV's is growing and have their own trails

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Came in to say the same thing. There is a lot of ATV trails that allow ATV's and snowmobiles. For all the snowmobile blowhards, the weather has to be under 28 degrees for ATV's so they don't rut out the soil. Snowmobilers love to bitch about ATV's ripping up their trails but they'll ride when it's 40 degrees and dick up ATV trails till May.

I've never seen a more perfect use of the word "blowhard" than in this paragraph.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
What is the Difference Between Snowmobile Trails and ATV Trails?

This is a common cause for confusion, especially for visitors who are unfamiliar with the miles and miles of North Wisconsin ATV trails and snowmobile trails. In the State of Wisconsin, it is illegal to ride an ATV on a snowmobile trail unless it is specifically labelled as a “joint use” trail. These types of trails are very rare, so it is important to never assume.

:hsughc:Hmmm
200w.webp
100.webp

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190102-133555.jpg
    Screenshot_20190102-133555.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 91

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
If you are operating an ATV on a SNOWMOBILE ONLY trail for instance (in the winter) YES you can get ticketed and beat up. It really all depends on where you are and what season it is. You need to check with the local ATV and snowmobile clubs to see where and when you can ride what. Most trails are gated off when they are closed for off season. In most cases trails are used for ATV's in the summer and sleds in the winter but there are places that allow use all year round for ATV's. Some trails can be open for snowmobiles in the winter and closed in the summer for ATV's. OR vice versa.

Not really sure what we are arguing here.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
two things i wanted to drop quick in here... 1... some trails are legally open to sxs/atvs & snowmobiles at the same time... that's for sure a thing.

2. panda dropped some fat knowledge in here.

Well I guess I'll post this extremely rare map yet again.

https://sawyercountyalliance.com/sawyer-county-snowmobile-atv-trail-maps

404onlyshortroutesnotfound. Looks like the only real difference is the red only trails go over lakes that are frozen in the winter and water in the summer because, you know, ATV's don't float. Perhaps you don't understand what rare actually means?

:werd:

the "rare" word is quoted from a blog post from some BS rental website from four years ago.

http://adventurenorthrentals.com/2014/12/exploring-north-wisconsin-atv-trails-in-the-winter-months/

If you are operating an ATV on a SNOWMOBILE ONLY trail for instance (in the winter) YES you can get ticketed and beat up. It really all depends on where you are and what season it is. You need to check with the local ATV and snowmobile clubs to see where and when you can ride what. Most trails are gated off when they are closed for off season. In most cases trails are used for ATV's in the summer and sleds in the winter but there are places that allow use all year round for ATV's. Some trails can be open for snowmobiles in the winter and closed in the summer for ATV's. OR vice versa.

Not really sure what we are arguing here.

Joint use trails exist. Trails where in the winter, under the correct conditions, both atvs & snowmobiles are permitted to use those trails.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Oh sheesh! It’s getting real in here!!

Still, I appreciate the info though. It’s all new to me.

I'd look at the county your cabin is in specifically, and give someone a call there, but it does appear there are joint use trails there as well... trails where some people could be on atvs & some on sleds, at the same time.

https://www.pricecountywi.net/433/Tuscobia-State-Trail

ATV / UTV enthusiasts can ride almost 125 miles of trail in the winter. For trails in the Prentice area, including the Pine Line Rail Trail, the trails must officially be open to snowmobiling and the temperature must be 28 degrees Fahrenheit or colder for the trails to be open to winter ATV/UTV riding.

125 miles of trail in that county alone open to both winter atv/utv & sleds at the SAME TIME.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
This thread is a perfect example why snowmobilers are the worst...I bet [MENTION=12034]Mr. SBF[/MENTION] fits in perfectly with the 200 fat drunk sled riders you'll find at any bar in the northern half of MI/WI between Nov-Feb. I also have no doubt a group of these morons wouldn't hesitate to start a fight with someone riding an ATV on a dual-use trail just because they don't know or care about the rules

Snowmobiles are a blast to ride, but the sled crowd reminds me of the harley riders on the south park episode.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
KJ is right, if you want to put on serious miles in the snow then a sled is your best bet. The biggest issue with a sled is you have a small window to enjoy the machine. A SxS is cool because you and your wife can cruise around together and you get to use it at least 10 months out of the year. ATV's are cheaper and you get the same use but, like sleds, unless you buy a 2up you have to buy more than 1 machine.

Posting this here, I think it's good info.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
broke off the OT posts i could to this thread.

sorry [MENTION=8537]guspech750[/MENTION] for clusterfucking your thread.

https://www.thechicagogarage.com/fo...off-dick-measuring-contest-ghey-thread-4.html

WOWZA!
I really appreciate the clean up! That must have taken a lot of work removing all the bantering. There were some comments that made me LOLzzzzzz though. ?[emoji23]

So much info and choices. I did not even consider the SxS. Completely forgot about those. My wife likes driving those. A friend of ours has one. The idea of sitting side by side is really appealing. Damn. I want them all. ?[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks again for the clean up. I really appreciate it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info