đź“° Auto News VW Is Bringing Back Steering Wheel Buttons

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim

Volkswagen has been listening. All of the complaints, from both customers and media members, about its move to touch-sensitive steering wheel and interior buttons have been heard and VW is getting rid of them. Thomas Schäfer, Volkswagen AG board member, recently confirmed on LinkedIn that physical steering wheel buttons are making a comeback.

"We are sharpening our portfolio and our design, plus creating a new simplicity in operating our vehicles. For example, we are bringing back the push-button steering wheel! That’s what customers want from VW." Schäfer said.

The complaints first came rolling in when Volkswagen replaced the beloved Mk7 Golf and GTI with the Mk8, the latter of which had a new interior design that seemed to replace almost all physical controls with touch-sensitive ones. Everything from the infotainment system to the climate controls and steering-wheel controls were changed. Not only is the new interior design annoying to use but it also replaced the Mk7's refreshingly simple and easy-to-use cabin, filled with ergonomically laid-out physical buttons.
Mk7 GTI steering wheel—Bring back the buttons!

Every Volkswagen that followed the Mk8 GTI continued the trend and even exacerbated it in some cases (see: ID.4 rear window switches). However, credit where credit's due: Volkswagen heard its customers' complaints and decided to make a change.

Schäfer only mentions steering wheel buttons specifically but, based on his statement, it seems as if there might be further changes made. Hopefully, some of those changes include swapping out the horrendous touch-sensitive air vent sliders, climate controls, and volume knob. If Volkswagen can rectify all of its complaints, customers will likely show their gratitude with their wallets.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
"We are sharpening our portfolio and our design, plus creating a new simplicity in operating our vehicles. For example, we are bringing back the push-button steering wheel! That’s what customers want from VW."

- read as "we fucked up"

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Same, I think it's dumb in vehicle where you're supposed to be focused on driving. Same with those non-backlit button. That was just stupid.

I keep saying I want to replace the G with a Lexus RC or LS, but would be open to a new(er) VW if they put back physical buttons.

Edit: They're walking back their "innovation" like Honda had to with the Civic.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
My wife is used to them now on our ID.4 as she's the main driver. But the touch screens bug me since I'm only a part time driver of it. Voice control helps, but isn't as quick and simple. Knobs, buttons, and switches are certainly preferred. Glad they are willing to "go backwards" to make it more driver friendly.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
There is only one button that we all need. The rest pale in comparison:
1666637605984.png

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
This reminds me of the way Apple designs their shit compared to how gaming mice/keyboards are made. An apple mouse is sleek and void of any visible buttons but end of the day, when you need performance, you gotta be able to feel where the damn buttons are.
Mighty Mouse. Been using them exclusively since Thirdgen89GTA Thirdgen89GTA keyed me on to them years ago. Problem is they're getting really hard to find NIB. Can only clean/rebuild them so many times before they're done.

1666638073909.png

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Mighty Mouse. Been using them exclusively since Thirdgen89GTA Thirdgen89GTA keyed me on to them years ago. Problem is they're getting really hard to find NIB. Can only clean/rebuild them so many times before they're done.

View attachment 136732
We get the new wireless ones at work and I immediately asked for a wired PC dell mouse with buttons. Not only that, some genius at Apple thought it was a good idea to put the charge port on the bottom of the mouse so if you run it empty you can't use it while it charges.

MK2E3.jpeg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
We get the new wireless ones at work and I immediately asked for a wired PC dell mouse with buttons. Not only that, some genius at Apple thought it was a good idea to put the charge port on the bottom of the mouse so if you run it empty you can't use it while it charges.

View attachment 136738
Yeah, it has its drawbacks, that's for sure. I can only use the Magic Mouse for a short while before my hand starts to cramp up from its short height. The lightning port on the bottom to charge is dumb, but mine lasts for a good month between charges, and it charges relatively quickly. So I'll plug it in during lunch and it'll be almost topped off.

That's why I like the [wired] Mighty Mouse. Instead of a scroll wheel it is a ball, with much higher resolution (can also pan left-right). You can set it up as a two-button mouse (left and right click), plus the ball can be used as a button, and then you have the side buttons. I use the side buttons (squeeze) for Dashboard (it moves all open apps to the edge of the screen, exposing the desktop). I think it is way more versatile than the Magic Mouse.

I do also have a first gen Magic Mouse, which runs on two AA batteries, so quick to swap them out.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
"We are sharpening our portfolio and our design, plus creating a new simplicity in operating our vehicles. For example, we are bringing back the push-button steering wheel! That’s what customers want from VW."

- read as "we fucked up"

I mean, you have to try things otherwise you don't evolve. Sadly, there are things most people don't want to be changed. They found this out the hard way. Same with the manufacturers that took away the volume knob. You'd think people were ready to riot at car manufacturers' headquarters lol

That being said, there are so many options and things to control that it's going to be hard to have switches for everything. So at some point, they are going to have some things that are touch screen controlled. Although, I believe it was the Hummer EV that has switches that change what they do. When you touch the HVAC button and the switch next to it changed their display to offer different HVAC controls. I thought that was a smart solution to having too many switches.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

View attachment 136738
I remember people ripping on the charging port at the bottom, that's truly indefensible by apple lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info