VW Herpes: Based on a true story

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
FYI you can spend $8-12 for a Carfax by going through eBay.

Thanks, I just ordered the carfax through them. Waiting....
giphy.gif

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
You’re going to be paying for gas and doing 35k miles a year? Tacoma gets absolute shit gas mileage, that sounds expensive.
I am driving less, around 25k-ish miles. At this point I will pay the extra fuel to have a pickup. 20 mpg for a cool PU isn't bad. We just purchased a Honda CRV and absolutely love the space and comfort. We use the CRV on the weekends with the kids. The PU would be strictly Mon-Fri work and weekend dadbod duties for the house and hopefully new PU type activities.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Who bought it on 6/10/15? That PDI (pre-delivery inspection) signifies that it was sold as "new"then. Then you bought it in 2016?

I think all vehicles have that PDI when new then it’s registered and then it’s a used heap. He bought it as left over 15 in 2016. I’m sure his warranty didn’t start until he bought it and was registered.

Reactions: Bird1989

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me three+ times well idk

Your car has major mechanical issues/broken and you tried to pawn that off in the other thread as it was like VW fault and why your trade in quotes were so low?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I should have known, you couldn't even answer Yaj Yak Yaj Yak and The Beast The Beast and others questions in full in your out of context complaints

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
So just to confirm, it sounds like this car was purchased new and is not part of some illegal importing scheme by VW. Stop acting like a victim.

Now that that's out of the way: when I end up in a shitty situation the FIRST THING I ASK is: what did I do that got me here.

You bought a hybrid jetta (which you literally never see on the road), one model year old, that nobody else would touch even for 25-30% off of MSRP. And you bought it from a company that wasn't investing shit in hybrids at the time. I'd be willing to bet this article and others like it were available at the time you made the purchase

5 mins of researching would have told you that you were basically buying a failed test mule. Sooo this was a dumb purchase on your part, and you're paying the price. The good news is this: you've had the car 5 years and prob paid what, $26k for it? Even if it's only worth $1,000 today that's basically $5k/year depreciation for someone that drives 35k miles a year. Not terrible.

Why someone would need a sedan to drive 30k+ per year and not just buy a 4cyl jap car boggles my mind. "I drive 35k miles a year, what's the right vehicle for me? I KNOW, A FIRST-MODEL-YEAR GERMAN HYBRID"

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me three+ times well idk

Your car has major mechanical issues/broken and you tried to pawn that off in the other thread as it was like VW fault and why your trade in quotes were so low?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I should have known, you couldn't even answer Yaj Yak Yaj Yak and The Beast The Beast and others questions in full in your out of context complaints
So it’s my fault my car is worth nothing? And what questions are you talking about? I’m not pawning off anything. I wasn’t even gonna create this thread but my Jetta was brought up and decided to write about it. Fucker still runs I keep driving it. As to who told me this was a possibility was the techs at Ross-tech who created the software to diagnose. When they can’t find your cars ECM it might be a euro-model.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
So just to confirm, it sounds like this car was purchased new and is not part of some illegal importing scheme by VW. Stop acting like a victim.

Now that that's out of the way: when I end up in a shitty situation the FIRST THING I ASK is: what did I do that got me here.

You bought a hybrid jetta (which you literally never see on the road), one model year old, that nobody else would touch even for 25-30% off of MSRP. And you bought it from a company that wasn't investing shit in hybrids at the time. I'd be willing to bet this article and others like it were available at the time you made the purchase

5 mins of researching would have told you that you were basically buying a failed test mule. Sooo this was a dumb purchase on your part, and you're paying the price. The good news is this: you've had the car 5 years and prob paid what, $26k for it? Even if it's only worth $1,000 today that's basically $5k/year depreciation for someone that drives 35k miles a year. Not terrible.

Why someone would need a sedan to drive 30k+ per year and not just buy a 4cyl jap car boggles my mind. "I drive 35k miles a year, what's the right vehicle for me? I KNOW, A FIRST-MODEL-YEAR GERMAN HYBRID"
I made this thread tongue in cheek. If I would have known it was going to be discontinued, I would have never bought it. The hybrid started in 2013. So your therory on that is false. After two years with low miles carmax appraised the car at $10k with like 50k miles. In two years lost $17k WTF. I am to blame...yeah OK.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
I’m still not quite seeing the association between what you have and the “illegal” cars, other than speculation there is no real evidence that’s it’s the case, throw it into the cal sag and consider yourself served for what you paid for it
VW was caught bringing in cars illegally as certifieds and new cars to sell in the USA. When your ECM part number doesn’t come up in parts computer...what does that tell you?
Also, cal sag has crossed my mind but insurance would prolly give me $1k for it and I would still lose.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
VW was caught bringing in cars illegally as certifieds and new cars to sell in the USA. When your ECM part number doesn’t come up in parts computer...what does that tell you?
Also, cal sag has crossed my mind but insurance would prolly give me $1k for it and I would still lose.

it tells me that perhaps you bought an experimental vehicle that VW was using to test the market, one which they may or may not have done all their homework when it comes to sorting out part numbers because of the limited amount of vehicles made.

there is a reason they sold it to you so cheap and at 0% interest, because no one else wanted it.

unless you have proof that the car is illegal you have no case IMO.

Reactions: The Broken Regal

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Idk why you think your car is worth $1k. Anything that runs is worth like $3k at least these days. Get it fixed and private party would easily be $6-8k. VW has a decent image and with gas prices on the rise hybrid would bring attention to the car.

Have you looked into any independent shops taking a look at it? It’s not witchcraft technology, an independent should be able to help so long as they know something about hybrids. Perhaps look for one that works on a lot of Prius’ to make sure they know hybrid systems.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
it tells me that perhaps you bought an experimental vehicle that VW was using to test the market, one which they may or may not have done all their homework when it comes to sorting out part numbers because of the limited amount of vehicles made.

there is a reason they sold it to you so cheap and at 0% interest, because no one else wanted it.

unless you have proof that the car is illegal you have no case IMO.
A7271580-E047-44A8-B4C9-2356C9DDFC3E.jpeg

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Idk why you think your car is worth $1k. Anything that runs is worth like $3k at least these days. Get it fixed and private party would easily be $6-8k. VW has a decent image and with gas prices on the rise hybrid would bring attention to the car.

Have you looked into any independent shops taking a look at it? It’s not witchcraft technology, an independent should be able to help so long as they know something about hybrids. Perhaps look for one that works on a lot of Prius’ to make sure they know hybrid systems.
Last year I tried trading it in to the same dealer and they offered me $2500. Last week I checked on carvana and got this:
6FDFA524-693E-41AC-9B74-D84B48CEDA89.jpeg

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Last year I tried trading it in to the same dealer and they offered me $2500. Last week I checked on carvana and got this:
View attachment 84095
Yes because they don’t want to deal with sending it to auction. They wouldn’t put it on their site because of the likely hood of the buyer having an issue shortly after purchasing and giving them a bad review while they’re still trying to build their brand. Trade in on high mileage cars is always shit.

The cheapest one for sale anywhere in the country is $9,800. Granted that one has half the miles yours does and the highest mileage one is 108k for $10.2k. Your car should still fetch $6-8k private party.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
So it’s my fault my car is worth nothing? And what questions are you talking about? I’m not pawning off anything. I wasn’t even gonna create this thread but my Jetta was brought up and decided to write about it. Fucker still runs I keep driving it. As to who told me this was a possibility was the techs at Ross-tech who created the software to diagnose. When they can’t find your cars ECM it might be a euro-model.
Without quoting like all of page 2 and 3 in the carvana thread- here is just one example
It’s a 2015 Jetta Hybrid that I bought early 2016. Car is minty. I was rear ended with minor damage so maybe that’s why the value is not good? That’s the only thing I can think of.

Then you make a thread like this with actual info rather than its VW fault... you drove a car into the ground and its also mechanically broken, like major component

:rofl: bruh

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info