VW Herpes: Based on a true story

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Without quoting like all of page 2 and 3 in the carvana thread- here is just one example

Then you make a thread like this with actual info rather than its VW fault... you drove a car into the ground and its also mechanically broken, like major component

:rofl: bruh
I just went back and looked and there are no unanswered questions.

The car has been worthless since early on and have been stuck with it like herpes. Why in two years did the value drop $17k? It wasn’t because i mechanically ran it into the ground??!! But this illegal importing raised an eyebrow for me...IMHO my vin brings up a red flag it’s a euro car you can’t get parts for and is worthless. I am the schmuck that got suckered. Are you guys happy now...
giphy.gif

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
:rofl: dude you literally didn't mention once the car was mechanically broken... hell it took multiple attempts for you to even fully answer the details on the car, like basic year so we could figure out how you were upside down

I truly don't think you understand the car market, why do you think the jetta was discounted so heavily? The used ones were already super cheap, they wouldn't be able to sell a new one for 35k if 1 year old ones were 25k or even cheaper. Plus incentives by VW to get the car off the lot. You even said they had been out since 2013, so you can't claim there wasn't data. Even then still, its a major red flag that they needed to discount a new car 30% off just to sell it. You think it would appreciate in value all of a sudden??

I leased a 2016 GLI and got huge discounts and almost a 0% MF, thing was stupid cheap. The residual was something like 18k on a 33k sticker car. They had to throw all that stuff at it to just move it off the lot, I think the sale price was 25-26k. I looked at the trade in before the lease was up and it was coming in around 13-14k. Not my problem on their math, but a red flag on initial buy on their value.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Carvana and places even like Carmax won't give you shit for any trade in if the vehicle has been in any type of accident, which I believe you stated somewhere in this thread. They give you a quote based on a lowball auction offer which is what they do, it has ZERO to do with the market value of the car. So I wouldn't be in a up roar about them only quoting out that price. Take it to a dealership or list it privately and see what you get for it, better yet go pull the KBB on it and see what the real value should be.

As for the car decreasing in value that drastically, it's not totally your fault it's a shit car and the market reflects that. The part that everyone is giving you so much shit over is that you don't take any responsibility about looking at the data of the car prior to buying it. You even in your own words explain how cheap you got the car for. That should tell you that you didn't do your research about it's resale value. It obviously wasn't something important to you. Only MPG and how cheap it was to buy. Take a little ownership of your problems and stop laying everything at someone else's door. You bought a shit car at least own that and realize you aren't going to get anywhere near your money out of it.

To the last point, you drove the piss out of this car, you did get your value out of it. Do you just expect to buy a new car and put 35k a year on it and not have to eventually put some costly repairs into it? Do you not consider putting over 150k miles on the vehicle relatively problem free part of the investment of owning a car? C'mon man you've been around the block (yes pun intended)

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
All of you fail to see the point. I have VW herpes. I said it from the very beginning. I accept that I have VW herpes since the first time I tried trading it in. I just wanted to share my story. When I was researching all of this I went into a worm hole of information of how the founder of VW and others were actually horrible shady business people. I mean look at deesol-gate. They legit tried to cheat the system. You don’t think they would throw in euro cars into the USA on the low low??? And who suffers? The consumer. By the time you figure it out...out of warranty. Good luck fool. Anyway, I have VW herpes. If you see my shitbox on the road, put me in the wall. Please.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
All of you fail to see the point. I have VW herpes. I said it from the very beginning. I accept that I have VW herpes since the first time I tried trading it in. I just wanted to share my story. When I was researching all of this I went into a worm hole of information of how the founder of VW and others were actually horrible shady business people. I mean look at deesol-gate. They legit tried to cheat the system. You don’t think they would throw in euro cars into the USA on the low low??? And who suffers? The consumer. By the time you figure it out...out of warranty. Good luck fool. Anyway, I have VW herpes. If you see my shitbox on the road, put me in the wall. Please.

What is it with the Herpes bullshit

Trade the car in on a Tacoma or whatever you want.

You were a car salesman or manager. Use your knowledge and work out a deal.

Granted, good luck with Toyota rolling out the red carpet for you with Dodge-like discounts, but you should be able to get into something else that fits your needs and doesn’t kill you on the hamster whee of debt.

So buy the manual and run a carfax to verify if your model is illegal, and if it is, go after VW?

Your other option is to eat all the money you’ve lost in it, but if there’s a chance to get something out of it because VW hosed you, why wouldn’t you do that? :dunno:

How much is a manual? I mean buying that and verifying what the problem is seems like it will be cheaper than throwing $750 in parts at the car and it not fixing the issue.
I absolutely agree. This would be my first step if I had such an issue. Actually, it is possible to get a manual for free. I can suggest visiting https://manuals.co/workshop/volkswagen/jetta. This source allows to read the manuals right on the site and download them as pdf files. Hope it helps!

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
I absolutely agree. This would be my first step if I had such an issue. Actually, it is possible to get a manual for free. I can suggest visiting https://manuals.co/workshop/volkswagen/jetta. This source allows to read the manuals right on the site and download them as pdf files. Hope it helps!
I found every manual available except the Hybrid. Even on the link you posted. What it needed is someone that is certified to fix hybrids. The one time I took it to the dealer they said only one guy was certified to fix them. It doesn't matter though, I traded in the Jetta Hybrid at an Audi dealer for a used Toyota Tacoma. I was honest and explained the situation. They said "No problem, our techs can resolve". On paper they gave me $4k so negative equity was minimal since they dropped the price of the Tacoma to make the deal happen. The Jetta Hybrid is gone. The end.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info