3800 VS cam

I

imported_1fastGTP

Originally posted by tonzcompg04@Sep 21 2006, 01:44 PM
What mods are neccessary to run a VS cam.  My mods are in my sig and remember I run a stock rear manifold.  Could I run a VS cam or would I have get headers?  I also have plugs and a 3in DP that will be installed and obviously the PCM will need some changes.
[snapback]140204[/snapback]​

well you might as well just go xp.. but 105's with moded retainers, timing chain single or double, and my buddy from wisconsin had his cam put it with a downpipe and catback thats all. the headers would free up more air.. so its your call.

I

imported_1fastGTP

Originally posted by tonzcompg04@Sep 21 2006, 02:11 PM
I understand that the XP makes more power but isnt the VS more of a streetable car? Is it that much more power?  Will the cam definetely lower KR?
[snapback]140215[/snapback]​

me and chad have the xp and we run fine there our daily drivers. not rough at all. not really to much more power but enough for the same price. and kr not sure never had any...

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Very Tempting thats for sure. Especially with Steve having that sale on installs. I want to do at least 1 major mod to this car then im done. Then money comes into the picture. I do have a lil money to mess with considering I have a wife and 2kids to maintain.

1. 1.95 RR + springs + install = approx $625
2. IC + install = approx $1000+
3. VS Cam + install = approx $725
4. XP cam + kit + retainers etc.. = approx $900

I would like to say intercooler is out of the picture since it would be the most expensive. (Brand New)

Not sure what would be the best setup for someone who does not have all the time in the world to be scanning. I will scan but dont have time to do it consistently. I do have a scanner but getting a Tuner is out of the question since that would add another 350-400$ to the picture. Decisions Decisions

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
to tell you the truth i think a tuner should be one of the first purchaces

eric threw the VS cam and IC with 3.0 and toasted the engine in two months, but it's all good now with a full rebuild, forgies with L32 rods etc $450<$3500 :lolsign:

it's a good think too fueling was way off with lots of Kr
i'll toll you this...he wishes he'd just gotten the XP from the getgo...

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
heres the problems with your choices
a) a intercooler while being more expensive might not toast your tranny
B) a cam while cheaper is going to toast your tranny so it's not a question of "if" but more of a question of "when"

and this has nothing to do with what I said but a tuner should be your first purchase.
you're going to buy that cam and either toast your tranny or blow up your motor because you trusted some afc thingy to control your fuel that burned out and/or just stopped working.

00 GTP Debadged

Regular
Dec 27, 2008
Originally posted by dole21@Sep 21 2006, 08:17 PM
xp>vs>intense 1sux  er 1x
[snapback]140247[/snapback]​

The S1X really isn't that bad of a cam... Mat ran 11's with his tuning it with a mini afc.

I am not trying to bash the xp cam, but most the people I see running it run low 13's. I think the S1X is about the same level as the xp. I ran 12's with mine on a basically stock pcm and stock tranny. We will see how it does next month.

Anyway, if you are going to get a cam, go with the bigger one. You won't regret it.

Randy

I

imported_Ron Vogel

My .02, get the VS for a mild build. You'll hardly notice the idle difference from stock. The XP is a decent cam, but for city driving it's going to be a waste. The S1X is an OK cam, but the idle doesn't sound rowdy like the XP, or stock like the VS...it sounds like the car has a bad misfire.

Basically, the VS acts a lot like a rocker car, it is torquey down low, but still has better top end than stock. This is because it allows higher cyl pressure than the XP, whereas you'll need to pulley down with the XP to get the grunt back. I've driven in several XP cammed cars, and they're fast and all, but the street manners are much better with the VS cam for 0-50 mph unless you go with a little looser Tq converter or gearing...but you already have the 3.29's IIRC.

W/o an IC you'll still be limited on pulley sizing to an extent vs. the XP, but better than rockers. SO IMHO get the VS with stock timing chain/stock springs, and keep the revs under 6100rpm. W/o an IC would have good low 13 sec potential/12.60-70 with a 75 shot, and mid to high 12's with an IC.

HTH's

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info