Vortech S-trim vs Kenne Bell 2.1.. guys chime in.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Reaction score
I am looking at ALL possible aspects as far as what i can do now that the bottom end will be built.

I have been doing some research as far as both go and so far i like the fact that the Vortech can be intercooled. The KB as far as i know cannot (unless you use meth).

Any thoughts?

What would the pros and cons be to both.

My car is 75% street and 25% track. But i am looking to upping the boost on whatever i put on it.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Reaction score
VenomInside said:
I am looking at ALL possible aspects as far as what i can do now that the bottom end will be built.

I have been doing some research as far as both go and so far i like the fact that the Vortech can be intercooled. The KB as far as i know cannot (unless you use meth).

Any thoughts?

What would the pros and cons be to both.

My car is 75% street and 25% track. But i am looking to upping the boost on whatever i put on it.
How much boost and horsepower are you wanting to go after? Ballpark?

Well the KB is going to give you pretty much instant torque/boost you indicated 75% street so that might play towards your advantage. The fact that you cant intercool is going to suck.(I assume you cant intercool it just because I have never seen a kit)

With the Vortech you wont get the quick response like you would the twin screw but like you said you would be able to have it intercooled which would mean you could run more boost over the KB

IMO I would stay with the Vortech just because you are getting the motor built and can run more boost via intercooled.

Just outta curiousity are you refering to the Vortech you already have or looking to get another? If you are looking for another I would recommend taking a look at Procharger they make some pretty kick ass kits for your car ;)

OP
VenomInside

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Reaction score
Dragon03 said:
How much boost and horsepower are you wanting to go after? Ballpark?

Well the KB is going to give you pretty much instant torque/boost you indicated 75% street so that might play towards your advantage. The fact that you cant intercool is going to suck.(I assume you cant intercool it just because I have never seen a kit)

With the Vortech you wont get the quick response like you would the twin screw but like you said you would be able to have it intercooled which would mean you could run more boost over the KB

IMO I would stay with the Vortech just because you are getting the motor built and can run more boost via intercooled.

Just outta curiousity are you refering to the Vortech you already have or looking to get another? If you are looking for another I would recommend taking a look at Procharger they make some pretty kick ass kits for your car ;)
I would like to make over 500 i know that. I might keep the vortech

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Reaction score
I know MMFF did test on what your asking.

I have the magazine somewhere I can did up if you need a date to refference it on their site.

It was a good article with great information on each, vs ect...

OP
VenomInside

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Reaction score
99 Stangbanger said:
I know MMFF did test on what your asking.

I have the magazine somewhere I can did up if you need a date to refference it on there site.

It was a good article with great information on each, vs ect...
that would be awesome! Thanks!

zenriddles

Orange Man GOOD ! ! !
Reaction score
Stoplight to stoplight you can't beat a positive displacement blower. All the Torque, All the time. Centrifugal will outperform on top end, but how much time do you really spend at 6000 rpm's + ?

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Reaction score
Idk, i like the idea of low end torque, but i love gettin above 4k rpms in our 4v. Just depends on what you like more. Youve had the screw blower before, and tested the vortech. Just up to you.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Reaction score
mikey i believe you can get an intercooled kb kit. so dont let that discourage you.

turbo is nice, but theres no instant power and the car isn't built to be a highway beast. Plus, like i said at your house, turbo makes awesome power but its very unreliable and thats something you dont want.

i personally, would do the kb if you want a fast street car.

ChromeCobra

Reaction score
Fuck the KB for 96-98's, there is no intercooler for them and they really dont make any impressive power. Just get a paxton front mount, or a Vortech aftercooler and pulley that bitch for 16-18psi. And either way you already have the Vortech, if your gonna send it in to them to get checked out you should have them do a T trim upgrade. When I talked to them about getting mine upgraded to a T trim I think it was like $900-$1100.
Mark

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Reaction score
I would stick with the Vortech. You already have it and they can make killer power. No need to change.

Unoid

Libertarian Massa
Reaction score
I 2nd the turbo idea.
something that'll spool at 3500 would be ideal

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Reaction score
Am I the first person to say this? T TRIM FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gears:

Shane97Cobra

Reaction score
I had the old KB on my car. The 1.7L. If the 2.1 isn't intercooled don't bother. My car only made 360 RWHP with the 1.7L at 10 PSI. Ditched that blower for the vortech, haven't looked back once.

OP
VenomInside

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Reaction score
Unoid said:
I 2nd the turbo idea.
something that'll spool at 3500 would be ideal
That's a very expensive adventure.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Reaction score
Mike if you are going to run a Kenne Bell on a built bottom end then do not even think of that little 2.1. That little blower with its tiny inlet will not be able to support the power you will eventually want to make.

Since you already have the Vortech I just say stick with that and go from there. Do that and buy a FMIC.

BTW, if you end up wanting a turbo, I can get you a killer deal on a STS universal system.

drenath

Low MPH - Rand Road Crew
Reaction score
Would something like LFP's heat exchanger be compatible with a KB?

I'm a big fan of PD SC's, but if you've already got an S-Trim it makes sense to stick with it... that blower should support 600+hp easily. If you need more, spray it :headbang:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom