• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Volvo XC90 V8 fuel pressure sensor swap

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Any Volvo Techs or otherwise ever do this? Based on the directions I found on the net they want you to pull the upper intake. Can you just yank the throttle body and change it?

Besides this, I have the clunk/squeak. I'm ordering the upper spring mounts and the sway bar links. Anything else I should add?

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
In case anyone cares or finds this in the future, here's what went down.

The people on the Volvo forums totally missed the boat. You pull the bar across the engine, pull the engine mount, pull a vacuum line and pull the valve cover cover. Sensor comes right the fuck off. No need to pull the intake manifold at all.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
It's an 06 should have the hole. I also am not one of those anal people about washing down my engine compartment.

I did some suspension work too, pulled this out or what's left of it. Naturally it was a bit over due. I ended up having to have the strut tool and a fucking press to get it done, but it got done.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Is that a strut mount?

Just be careful with that bearing. I don't think the issue was fully addressed until 2007. I wanted a Type R over our T6 but the issues all scared me away. Tragically, that engine was derived from the 3.4 Taurus SHO V8 which also suffered from an unrelated catastrophic cam failure. Ford, amirite?

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Is that a strut mount?

Just be careful with that bearing. I don't think the issue was fully addressed until 2007. I wanted a Type R over our T6 but the issues all scared me away. Tragically, that engine was derived from the 3.4 Taurus SHO V8 which also suffered from an unrelated catastrophic cam failure. Ford, amirite?

For the trade offs in the engine, the T6 makes a huge trade off in the trans; it's a 4T60 variant while the V8 uses an Aisin 6 speed.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I've heard nothing but horror stories about the trans' in the T6 XC90's....transmission failure wasn't a matter of if, it was when...

I've been looking somewhat at getting into an older XC90's, but wanted to get into the T5 versions...any glaring issues with them?

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
The T5 uses a different trans it appears it's also an Aisin. I'd give it a consideration. I will say if you're not into boost I'd test a V8 one out. 05 had the bearing issue, but 06+ should be good. They're standard AWD, ~315HP and sound awesome. I actually wish the diesel variant made it states side but it didn't.

Something else I'd watch out for is tire wear on the front end; there's a few parts (the bushings like above are notorious) that wear out. Tire wear I've seen so far has been very consistent though even with that. Pop the hood, drive forwards at about 5 mph and hit the brakes while someone watches; you'll be able to see significant movement front to back if a bushing is gone. The up and down is obviously all right.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I remember my C30 had SUPER soft trans/motor mounts/bushings...you could feel the motor rocking back and forth from inside the cabin, especially on high speed shifts. I threw in an Elevate torque mount, which helped. Volvo probably does the soft ass bushing for noise/vibration...

I'd look at the V8's, but they are a bit out of my price range....wanted to stay in the $7-9K range, and the V8's in that range have a ton of miles on them....I wouldn't even mind the power handicap on the T5...I love the motor in general...super stout and super torquey and smooth. Had the T5 in the C30 and a low-pressure version in my old S70.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Mr_Roboto
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list