Volkswagen Atlas 3.6 L SUV

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Not sure who said it, but, ;

The Atlas is dimensionally bigger than the MDX and is nearly $15,000 less for base price.

For the price of a loaded MDX, the SRT Durango is a way better option and will poop all over it. Even an R/T is a way better option and loaded with discounts can be had for low-mid 40's (Leather, vented seats, adaptive cruise control, 8.4" screen, etc.)

Atlas is nice for sure, but, for the price with options, there are better options that will make the driving and ownership experience overall better.

Durango R/T or SRT
Explorer Sport
New Traverse (weak engine, but, they look really nice and drive well)
CX-9 - Not a "performer" but, they are roomy, made well and look nice

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
can't you land a durango srt for nicely optioned mdx money though?

seems like the mom-enthusiast-suv route to me.

Quite possibly, but you only have a couple of option packages on the MDX to begin with, either base, tech, or advanced. Mine had a sticker of $56k, pretty sure a Durango SRT starts at $64k, and is maybe a second faster to 60 and the 1/4 than an MDX, with half the fuel economy. My 20 year old side would totally go for that, but my 40+ side would have to resist.

I actually test drove a Durango R/T, and liked it a lot, but it was also 51K without AWD. We drove them all this time around, the Atlas, Expedition, Exploder Limited, Pilot, Sorrento, Santa Fe, Durango, Tahoe, CX9, Flex, Tiguan, CRV, and the MDX was the best out of the bunch in terms of quickness, comfort, quietness, features, etc. I really liked the Durango, but they didn't have any AWD ones in stock or I may have an R/T in the garage.

Happened to find a lease return MDX with 32k miles on it for $32k as a CPO car, and couldn't pass it up.

The Atlas is nice for sure, but it is underpowered, especially when you have 4-5 people in it, and my inner car nerd can't have that, even if I only drive it a few times a year.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It's not though, once you equip an Atlas with AWD, leather, Nav, premium sound, and the V6, which the MDX comes with.

Look.... I know it's a glorified minivan either way, but the SH AWD system kicks ass, and it's actually pretty fun to drive and beat the piss out of it. Handles waaaaay better than it should, and will take a hand full of sedans to Gapplebees.

When the Vtek pops, the panties drop :hsughlol:

solid post :rofl: :bigthumb:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info